Gaming Ideal Speed to Burn Wii Backups at.

bobfernando

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I just got a backup of Guitar Hero World Tour for Wii, and was uncertain if the game would even run through GeckoOS or WiiGator .3g, but I burned on a TDK DVD+R @ 8X with a Sony DVD+/-R(W) DL drive, and the game loads up just fine, and the songs are playable. However, Occasionally, and especially when playing ingame videos, the entire system will lock up, and Im forced to reset it.

I narrowed down the reasons why the game does this, and figured its got to be the speed I burned the game at. Ive heard some places that 4X is the best, while others say 2.4X is best. So, straight out, what is the best speed to burn Wii games at (and why, if anyone knows)?

Thanks in advance.

Base

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I just burn it at the default of IMGburn. Which I think is 2.4x. :S

None of my games have had any problems so far.

bobfernando

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right. Ill give 2.4X a shot and see how it is. Its just one disc anyway. Watch this space for results, if anyone cares.

UPDATE:

Burning a GQ Brand (Yes I will go look for some Verbatims...) DVD-R 16X disc at 2.4X works great. The intro movie doesnt lock up, and songs dont skip.

So is 2.4X truly better than 4X, or how does it work?

Jytach

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Try different media and speeds, and test the results with dvdinfopro.

I personally use 4x or 8x , my driver won't accept mor than that, and I have reasonably good scores taht way.

You should try it yourself =)

lll

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Try burning at different speeds and test the resulting discs with DVDInfoPro or Nero CD/DVD Speed/Nero DiscSpeed. The higher the quality score, the better.

The results will vary between different burners, different discs and sometimes even different batches of disc. Generally speaking, it's not a good idea to burn DVD discs under half their rated speed - so no lower than 4x for 8x DVDs. The ideal speed will vary widely depending on the media you're using and the firmware of your burner.

davedeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i always burn with imgburn at 4x speed.
since i had some reading troubles with sony, philips or tdk disc i only use verbatim dvd-r without any problems or errors
smile.gif

seetheviz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with the 'quality scan' method. The ideal speed is the speed you get the best quality burns at, for a given combo of blank and burner. Anyone that says there's one perfect speed for all situations is an idjit. With good choice of blanks and drives, you can burn at 8x (or better) for single-layer all the time and never have read errors. Dual-layer is a different story, very few drives handle those well, and very few blanks are decent quality. Luckily less games use them. If you're getting crap burns all the time, buy a new burner and fork out for some quality blanks. I buy my burners with Verbatim blanks in mind, and even with the switch to production in India, it's still working out for me. When drive-makers put out new drives, they optimize them for the higher speeds (20,16,12,8x) because that's what most people will be using. People that insist on the lowest possible burn speed never consider that.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Its not the speed - its the fact that you changed from dvd+r to DVD-R which are the ones everyone recommends.

There is no correct speed for burning - it depends on

1. the discs you have
2. The writer you have
3. The wii reader itself which varies on its sensativity

Some burn at full speed and it works great when 2.4 wont work for them
Others burn at 2.4 and that works great and higher wont.

Anyone telling you a particular speed is right is basing it on their own experiences and i have modded about 50 wiis and all can be different from speaking to people.

The discs are more important than the speeds.

maduin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always use 16x with my Verbatim and Maxell discs and they always work great, plus it only takes 5 minutes to burn a disc.

MrSlut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
/also concur w/ djTaz

If I try burning as low as 2-4x, I get bad burns about half of the time. I just use max, so 8x or 16x depending on which discs I buy, and it works great every time.

My buddy only seems to have good luck around 2-4x, and seems to prefer 2.4x.

My best advice, is to pick up a spindle of good dvd-r's and start playing around with burn speeds, and test 'em out.

superbob

Trophies
XP
Country
France
For mac users, I burned with this config :
- MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857D (MBP Late 2006 15inch SuperDrive)
- Blank Verbatim DVD-R 16x
- 6x with Toast 10 Titanium (pregap 0, postgap 0 and blocksize 2048)

And until now it works fine.
EDIT: After checking with DVDInfoPro, the rating of my burnt disc is 59.17% so be careful with this config, it works but it's quite poor.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: loved nes remix, but hated having to play Baseball, Tennis and Golf in order to progress