Hacking Idea to prevent piracy - but getting homebrew

  • Thread starter Thread starter Memfis
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 10,711
  • Replies Replies 80

Memfis

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
262
Reaction score
99
Trophies
1
XP
831
Country
Germany
I have an idea to prevent piracy in a homebrewchannel. The idea is to check the size of the loading file. 3DS games are usually bigger than 1 GB (I think 500 MB is Ok, too). I ask you: Whitch homebrew is bigger than 1 GB? That should be so implemented, that there is no chance to develop an ISO-Loader or something else. The homebrewchannel (or softmod) have to check every file, whitch is loading. If a file is bigger than 1GB, it must be signed, as comercial and licensed games. So you can play games from slot1 and sd-slot. (I think games from virtual console will be saved on sd, but they will be signd and proteced)

What do you think, abput my approach? Perhaps there are some thoughtless error, but I´m not a hacker or developer. The real devs can expand my idea, or can use this approach for an own idea.
 
Homebrew Channel would need a lot of security to prevent people messing with that filesize loading thing. Also doesn't stop people using the readily available code sources to make their own loaders.
 
As Jamstruth says, you would need a ton of security in the channel itself to get around a mod of this, so it's not very practical. Let's not forget that the people who originally designed usb loading on the Wii purposefully left out "backups", but that didn't stop anybody from enabling them relatively quickly.
 
It depends on what is considered piracy.... If homebrew is for Emulators of past systems up to and not including the current system games then yes. But some people consider any type of emu as piracy. If that is the case i say No i'm not for it. I do enjoy homebrew games and apps, but i don't like buying lets say Final Fantasy VI for the 4th time just so i can play it on my current system.
 
Hmmm, is the source from the Wii homebrewchannel available? Can´t find it. If someone want to create an iso loader, he have to find his own way, but the serious homebrewchannel-team can block this program with an update as Nintendo will to that with homebrewchannel. In fact, both sides want the same: No piracy and I think the homebrew-scene have to do all, to prevent piracy.

In court Nintendo have worse opportunities, if the justice see, that we do all to prevent piracy. Homebrew have the image to be piracy and I think that must be changed.

Edit: ferret7463: I´m only talking about blocking commercially3DS games as iso. I also want an emulator for earlier systems like SNES, N64. My dream is to get a Dreamcast portable one day, but I think the 3Ds is not strong enough.
 
Well it's not like hackers who get an exploit such as the Homebrew Channel on the Wii really want to limit it by putting restrictions on it. Even then, odds are other hackers would bypass the feature. Plus pirating apps aren't designed for pirating, they're designed to "play backups of games you legally own". But of course most people just pirate games they don't own and use a back-up loader.

Even then, generating an exploit or some type of "Homebrew Channel" type system only to have limits imposed on it by its developers seems pretty contradictory to the purpose of homebrew.
 
Guild McCommunist said:
Plus pirating apps aren't designed for pirating, they're designed to "play backups of games you legally own". But of course most people just pirate games they don't own and use a back-up loader.
I have no idea, how to check, if you play a backup from your game, or play a downloaded game. I think there must be found a compromise. The argument "backup" is good, but in past, it shows, that the "backup-feature" is used for piracy. OK, Nintendo, sony, Microsoft, etc. say the same about homebrew. They say homebrew is OK, but it will used for playing piracy and for this reason they hate homebrew.
 
There's nothing stopping a commercial 3DS game from beeing say, 32MB.
The 2gB is just a MAXIMUM limit (for now) and all games will vary from very small (under 100mB) up to 2gB, which means by your idea that alot of commercial games still would be able to be pirated...
 
OK. Stop. I only want to give an approach, but it seems, that there are to much thoughtless error and to big problems to prevent piracy. But it was worth a try
 
I'd personally be more than happy if something like petit computer was released this side of the planet. Maybe with the ability to edit the source files on a PC, maybe saved as plain text on the SD card. I think a lot of homebrewers would jump at the chance to code something that can in no way disrupt the commercial market.
 
spinal_cord said:
I'd personally be more than happy if something like petit computer was released this side of the planet. Maybe with the ability to edit the source files on a PC, maybe saved as plain text on the SD card. I think a lot of homebrewers would jump at the chance to code something that can in no way disrupt the commercial market.
They'll just use the excuse "I want to code in java/C/whatever".
 
Thing is, due to the 3DS being MUCH stronger than the DS/i, chances are Homebrew makers will be more ambitious, and thus make bigger projects. This would limit some of their ambitions and ultimately the type of homebrew that is made specifically for the 3DS.
 
noONE said:
There's nothing stopping a commercial 3DS game from beeing say, 32MB.
The 2gB is just a MAXIMUM limit (for now) and all games will vary from very small (under 100mB) up to 2gB, which means by your idea that alot of commercial games still would be able to be pirated...
I'm not sure, but I think that the minimum.
 
Hells Malice said:
Why give any thought into preventing piracy at all.
You can't stop it, that's just the simple truth. Even worrying about piracy is a pointless waste of your life.
It's true, it's inevitable. No reason trying to delay it.
 
Hells Malice said:
Why give any thought into preventing piracy at all.
You can't stop it, that's just the simple truth. Even worrying about piracy is a pointless waste of your life.
The goal is often just to delay it until it doesn't make a major cut in profits.
 
KingVamp said:
noONE said:
There's nothing stopping a commercial 3DS game from beeing say, 32MB.
The 2gB is just a MAXIMUM limit (for now) and all games will vary from very small (under 100mB) up to 2gB, which means by your idea that alot of commercial games still would be able to be pirated...
I'm not sure, but I think that the minimum.
no, maximum.
pilotwings is around 1 gb.
 
Nollog said:
KingVamp said:
noONE said:
There's nothing stopping a commercial 3DS game from beeing say, 32MB.
The 2gB is just a MAXIMUM limit (for now) and all games will vary from very small (under 100mB) up to 2gB, which means by your idea that alot of commercial games still would be able to be pirated...
I'm not sure, but I think that the minimum.
no, maximum.
pilotwings is around 1 gb.
Giga"bit" or Giga"Byte"? anyhow how did you get that number if they can't extract a rom right at the moment?
 

Site & Scene News