Hacking Idea to prevent piracy - but getting homebrew

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem with any SDK is simply the cost. Why should I as a corporation provide a free SDK to you?I have to hire someone to make and maintain it. And what do I get in return? Nothing. (and the 'gratitude' of the homebrew community isn't something they care about one iota, no matter how important you think you are). If you can't make money off it, why should you spend money on it?

And before you say XNA. XNA is basically a tool to get people into the DotNet ecosystem. There's also an annual cost.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
Hm..how about Nintendo provides a lightweight SDK for a few bucks to anyone interested? People could make pre-release homebrew applications with this, that cannot be launched just with SD card. These homebrews have to be send directly to Nintendo and Nintendo then puts them encrypted and signed in its servers. Customers can download them for free or for a very few bucks as Homebrew-DSiWare. Does this sound doable?
WiiBricker said:
QUOTE(doyama @ Apr 14 2011, 08:00 PM) The problem with any SDK is simply the cost. Why should I as a corporation provide a free SDK to you?
No problem. Provide one for XXX bucks and profit.
Your idea's been done.
tongue.gif

It's called Wiiware, DSiware, PS3/PSP Minis, and whatever the equal for the 360 is.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Rydian said:
WiiBricker said:
Hm..how about Nintendo provides a lightweight SDK for a few bucks to anyone interested? People could make pre-release homebrew applications with this, that cannot be launched just with SD card. These homebrews have to be send directly to Nintendo and Nintendo then puts them encrypted and signed in its servers. Customers can download them for free or for a very few bucks as Homebrew-DSiWare. Does this sound doable?
WiiBricker said:
doyama said:
The problem with any SDK is simply the cost. Why should I as a corporation provide a free SDK to you?No problem. Provide one for XXX bucks and profit.
Your idea's been done.
tongue.gif

It's called Wiiware, DSiware, PS3/PSP Minis, and whatever the equal for the 360 is.
You should read my post more carefully.

Hm..how about Nintendo provides a lightweight SDK for a few bucks to anyone interested?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
You should read my post more carefully.

QUOTE said:
Hm..how about Nintendo provides a lightweight SDK for a few bucks to anyone interested?
I don't know about the requirements for Wiiware, but I thought the requirements for others were lighter?

Nintendo's not going to check these games for free, that takes time and manpower. The idea of letting smaller devs into the consoles is being done, but it's not just anybody (because Nintendo has limited time and manpower). We've got Cave Story on multiple systems, and that was a one-man PC homebrew, for example.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Well it's just a theory. We know that Nintendo doesnt like content that's not quality. So it's up to its decision whether recieved homebrew applications are gonna approved or not.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
Well it's just a theory. We know that Nintendo doesnt like content that's not quality. So it's up to its decision whether recieved homebrew applications are gonna approved or not.
Yeah, but they need time and people to sort through the applications first, and that costs money. Then they have to do a thorough examination of the code, otherwise you end up with stuff like this.

http://www.macworld.com/article/152835/201..._tethering.html

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nollog said:
koji2009 said:
Err... PS1 games can be 700MB... would this theoretical homebrew channel be able to tell the difference between an official game that way and a homebrew loading large secondary files like that?

The answer simply is game size limit is an incredibly stupid way to prevent piracy... It just wouldn't work for a number of reasons.
Playing ps1 games on a 3ds is piracy too.
I know I know, "If I own the game wa wa wa"...

I read about pilotwings being 1GB, but that was cartridge size rather than game size.
Sorry for confusion, but I was countering a minimum limit claim on the cart's.
Can I get a link?

'Cause I want to make sure that cartridge size isn't a 2GB minimum.

lakaiskateboarding

Trophies
XP
Country
Memfis said:
I have an idea to prevent piracy in a homebrewchannel. The idea is to check the size of the loading file. 3DS games are usually bigger than 1 GB (I think 500 MB is Ok, too). I ask you: Whitch homebrew is bigger than 1 GB? That should be so implemented, that there is no chance to develop an ISO-Loader or something else. The homebrewchannel (or softmod) have to check every file, whitch is loading. If a file is bigger than 1GB, it must be signed, as comercial and licensed games. So you can play games from slot1 and sd-slot. (I think games from virtual console will be saved on sd, but they will be signd and proteced)

What do you think, abput my approach? Perhaps there are some thoughtless error, but I´m not a hacker or developer. The real devs can expand my idea, or can use this approach for an own idea.
Just no...

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:

Most companies try to push the quality bar slightly higher by providing a cost barrier of entry. That cost can be semi-high ($2000 for WiiWare) or reasonable ($99/year for XNA/iOS). It's not clear if the tight control over by Nintendo is a hold over from the 80s environment of just real trash being released (part of the reason for the Nintendo Seal of Approval) or if it's just something they don't want to manage as a company.

I think ultimately the question is moot. No matter what is released people are just going to be pissed. There will be complaints the SDK doesn't allow access to the 3D hardware. You can't access full CPU cycles. Why did they reject my PS1/NES/SNES emulator etc. I certainly would not want to manage the hornets nest of stupidity that would follow. Can you blame Nintendo for not wanting to either.

adriande2

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You forgot one key detail, people could easily just use a fowarder/loader to load the backup.
Also, if you've ever used the Games n' Music flachcard by Datel and a flashcard like Acekard, you would probably know that homebrew and roms/backups use different boot methods. You can probably only purposefully add support for roms/backups with flashcards since it's not about blocking accessibility but adding it.

DxEggman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what is with the sudden jump in the number of anti-pirates on gbatemp? last year everyone's all "where can i download '____'", and now, its "dont kill the 3ds by hacking it i want it to die like the ds did"
the 3ds will get hacked eventually.
games will be pirated.
and the 3ds will still kick ass for a long damn time.

tj445

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DxEggman said:
what is with the sudden jump in the number of anti-pirates on gbatemp? last year everyone's all "where can i download '____'", and now, its "dont kill the 3ds by hacking it i want it to die like the ds did"
the 3ds will get hacked eventually.
games will be pirated.
and the 3ds will still kick ass for a long damn time.

That's the other way around, All those who are saying that either don't have/can't afford a 3DS, or are nintendo haters/PS3 fanboys.

unseen4ce

Trophies
XP
Country
I am not advocating piracy (because I can't here), but I have a philosophical standard that all information should be free and would be free in a society in which intelligence is most highly valued. I don't see piracy as wrong, I see it as the only avenue to change the draconian society we live in. Hackers should be held in high esteem.

So I don't support your idea, it is a compromise with and for the weak-minded.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte