Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ferret7463 said:
Nollog said:
KingVamp said:
noONE said:
There's nothing stopping a commercial 3DS game from beeing say, 32MB.
The 2gB is just a MAXIMUM limit (for now) and all games will vary from very small (under 100mB) up to 2gB, which means by your idea that alot of commercial games still would be able to be pirated...
I'm not sure, but I think that the minimum.
no, maximum.
pilotwings is around 1 gb.
Giga"bit" or Giga"Byte"? anyhow how did you get that number if they can't extract a rom right at the moment?
Id assume gigabyte ......gigabits are usually only used for download/upload speeds

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Anyway, remember what ninty do with their retail games, they just fill the rest of the 4.3GB disc up with garbage data. I'm sure homebrew developers could just ad on a load of it to their games to bypass it...

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nollog said:
KingVamp said:
noONE said:
There's nothing stopping a commercial 3DS game from beeing say, 32MB.
The 2gB is just a MAXIMUM limit (for now) and all games will vary from very small (under 100mB) up to 2gB, which means by your idea that alot of commercial games still would be able to be pirated...
I'm not sure, but I think that the minimum.

no, maximum.
pilotwings is around 1 gb.

Where you got that info?

QUOTE(Wizzerzak @ Apr 13 2011, 04:33 PM) Anyway, remember what ninty do with their retail games, they just fill the rest of the 4.3GB disc up with garbage data. I'm sure homebrew developers could just ad on a load of it to their games to bypass it...
If a file is bigger than 1GB, it must be signed, as comercial and licensed games.

By this it wouldn't run with more garbage data I believe.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Err... PS1 games can be 700MB... would this theoretical homebrew channel be able to tell the difference between an official game that way and a homebrew loading large secondary files like that?

The answer simply is game size limit is an incredibly stupid way to prevent piracy... It just wouldn't work for a number of reasons.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
koji2009 said:
Err... PS1 games can be 700MB... would this theoretical homebrew channel be able to tell the difference between an official game that way and a homebrew loading large secondary files like that?

The answer simply is game size limit is an incredibly stupid way to prevent piracy... It just wouldn't work for a number of reasons.
Playing ps1 games on a 3ds is piracy too.
I know I know, "If I own the game wa wa wa"...

I read about pilotwings being 1GB, but that was cartridge size rather than game size.
Sorry for confusion, but I was countering a minimum limit claim on the cart's.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Memfis said:
I have an idea to prevent piracy in a homebrewchannel. The idea is to check the size of the loading file. 3DS games are usually bigger than 1 GB (I think 500 MB is Ok, too). I ask you: Whitch homebrew is bigger than 1 GB? That should be so implemented, that there is no chance to develop an ISO-Loader or something else. The homebrewchannel (or softmod) have to check every file, whitch is loading. If a file is bigger than 1GB, it must be signed, as comercial and licensed games. So you can play games from slot1 and sd-slot. (I think games from virtual console will be saved on sd, but they will be signd and proteced)
It is a pointless idea. Lets think about this clearly. Look at the wii. The homebrew channel itself does not launch games. HBC just launches an app that launches games. That app can be small. So this whole idea is pointless.

Leave this stuff up to the coders and hackers. Noobs never come up with truly wonderful and workable ideas.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
You seem to missing a very simple point with this idea. a backup loader only needs to be a couple of hundred kb and would be considered homebrew. If you're using an unofficial loader, there would be no reason for that loader to check the file size before loading.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
spinal_cord said:
You seem to missing a very simple point with this idea. a backup loader only needs to be a couple of hundred kb and would be considered homebrew. If you're using an unofficial loader, there would be no reason for that loader to check the file size before loading.
Thank you for reiterating what I said in my post thats above yours.

But I am glad that there are other people that can see the simple way that this idea fails.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It really doesn't make sense. There is in reality no difference between 'homebrew' and 'piracy' from the system's perspective. They are all 'unsigned code'. If you can do one, you can do the other. The only way to allow 'homebrew' is to get it signed by your console vendor of choice to be run on the system. Unless your homebrew works within the security confines of the system, it can by default enable piracy.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
spinal_cord said:
I'd personally be more than happy if something like petit computer was released this side of the planet. Maybe with the ability to edit the source files on a PC, maybe saved as plain text on the SD card. I think a lot of homebrewers would jump at the chance to code something that can in no way disrupt the commercial market.

Wait, what is this? Officially allowed homebrew?

asiekierka

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
WiiBricker said:
spinal_cord said:
I'd personally be more than happy if something like petit computer was released this side of the planet. Maybe with the ability to edit the source files on a PC, maybe saved as plain text on the SD card. I think a lot of homebrewers would jump at the chance to code something that can in no way disrupt the commercial market.

A way to make BASIC games on the DSi LEGALLY.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh interesting indeed! Though having to manually code in 200+ lines of stuff is.... pretty old school. On the plus side you can wifi transfer things between friends. I wonder if I still have any of my old c64 programs.... I made a D&D adventure in Basic. Fun times
smile.gif

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
spinal_cord said:

Exactly. The only official homebrew was on the PS3 until sony raped it away from everyone by taking away OtherOS, and subsequently caused their own shit storm..

Homebrew otherwise will NEVER be official because companies are scared of piracy.

The next wave will be a company that CARES about the consumers and creates a console with officially licensed games but still allows homebrew that can take advantage of the full potential of the hardware. That console will be the biggest seller of all time. Too bad every greedy company only cares about the end dollar and not about ever other users wants and desires. And also too bad those companies do not try to fulfill those users wants and desires which makes them want homebrew and people hacking those consoles for the fact. They try to close pandora's box, but they open it by trying to withhold things from the end user for THEIR greedy needs.

I will NEVER buy a sony product again... not even headphones. If I own anything with sony's name on it, it is because someone gave it to me and I pissed on it first (literally).

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hm..how about Nintendo provides a lightweight SDK for a few bucks to anyone interested? People could make pre-release homebrew applications with this, that cannot be launched just with SD card. These homebrews have to be send directly to Nintendo and Nintendo then puts them encrypted and signed in its servers. Customers can download them for free or for a very few bucks as Homebrew-DSiWare. Does this sound doable?

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
WiiBricker said:
Hm..how about Nintendo provides a lightweight SDK for a few bucks to anyone interested? People could make pre-release homebrew applications with this, that cannot be launched just with SD card. These homebrews have to be send directly to Nintendo and Nintendo then puts them encrypted and signed in its servers. Customers can download them for free or for a very few bucks as Homebrew-DSiWare. Does this sound doable?
That's a pretty open door to the hardware. It would make piracy easier.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Ikki said:
WiiBricker said:
That's a pretty open door to the hardware. It would make piracy easier.

No, a lightweight SDK should prevent this.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Ikki said:
WiiBricker said:
No, a lightweight SDK should prevent this.
A wildfire can be made out of a spark.

Smart hackers can do a lot of things, I don't think Nintendo would risk it.

Applications made with this SDK are completly useless unless Nintendo signs and encrypts them. If people intend to make piracy apps with this SDK, they still have to hack the console, which rules out the point of this SDK.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    WPiso @ WPiso: m