I Want to Play Final Fantasy

science

science rules
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I've never played a Final Fantasy game before, but I saw a video for one of them, and it looked pretty fun, it reminded me of Shining Force.

So, would you guys recommend starting at Final Fantasy I? Or does it not matter at all? Is the first one boring? If I play it, will I not enjoy it, and maybe not get into the series?

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
Final Fantasy I & II on the GBA are pretty fun but I wouldn't recommend starting there.
Final Fantasy III, IV, V on the SNES are pretty great.
If you prefer 3D then I suggest you play FFIX for a more fantasy based RPG or FFVII/FFVIII for a more sci/fi story line. FFX is nice too but I didn't like it that much since it dragged on towards the end.

science

science rules
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I prefer 2D, so I think I will start with some of the earlier ones. If you say I and II are fun, I think I should start there, and just work my way through

science

science rules
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What I'm worried about with not starting on I is that I will be lost during the story. Will I be messed if I don't start with I?

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Coming from someone who has played most of the titles (11+ and 8 excluded) I'd say if you're into the N-era stuff (sprite based) your best bet is to start from a 'refined' scratch which is Dawn of Souls 1+2 on the GBA. That one fixed up the dated issues of some annoyances with leveling, cash, and stupid magic system of the old game (1) and in the other (2) it has a unique leveling system based on what you do in a fight but unlike the old copy it doesn't lower stats if you don't do certain things. Both have some great basic stories and get you used to what is to come.

If you wish to try another that's probably the best of the 2D based titles go with Final Fantasy 4. That title has the deepest more emotional and driving stories of the lot, the best challenge (outside of the easy US SNES version) and fairness to the challenge, and it has a traditional leveling system where you earn your spells, not buy and spam to the party like later ones that dumbed down the strategy factor.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Twiffles said:
Jump to IX, and never play VII. That's how I went. >_>
But... HOW?!
ph34r.gif

Final Fantasy VII is one of the best FFs ever... (IMHO, the best)
blink.gif

Also I didn't really like any FF after X.

@science
If you're into 2D, try FF4-6, if you're into 3D, try FFIII on DS and FFVII.

FF I is good, but the overall game system is a lot more simplicistic than the later FFs.

science

science rules
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, so just to confirm before I go head in. There is not a continuing plot? I can play 7, than 4, than 3, 1, 8, 2, and be fine?

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, not a single one in the series is connected with each other.
Any ones which are could be considered spin-offs, with the only exception being X-2

science

science rules
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think I'm going to start with III then, as I want to use my DS, and then I will play IV when it comes out in a few weeks. Thanks guys!

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Why does everyone say FFVII is the best? It's not, but apparently there's enough Tifa fanboys that keep wanting her boobs in next-gen graphics.
sleep.gif

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Twiffles said:
Why does everyone say FFVII is the best? It's not, but apparently there's enough Tifa fanboys that keep wanting her boobs in next-gen graphics.
sleep.gif
Because I've played almost every single FF (even the GB ones, which weren't FFs technically, but SaGas) and FFVII has the best gaming system (Materia is just teh pwnz), some of the best musics ever and the best story.
Maybe not the best characters (some could've done better), but still awesome
biggrin.gif

BTW, I would just prefer something like the GBA releases, but on DS (new dungeons, new materias and new events) or PSP (but I would prefer DS seeing how they screwed up so badly with FF7:CC)
tongue.gif

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Twiffles said:
Why does everyone say FFVII is the best? It's not...
sleep.gif
How do you know? You've never played it, so your argument holds less water than a soggy paper hat.
nyanya.gif

Anyway that's not true; most people fight to the death between VII and VI over which was best, weighted in VII's favour because a lot of people were introduced to the series when it hit the PSX and it was a groundbreaking title at the time. Most people seem to prefer whichever one they played first. (incidentally that's VIII for me, so I'm being objective here).

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
IMO the first FF you play always seems like the best lol. But maybe that's just me.
I absolutely loved FFX to bits, mainly because it was the first Jap RPG I played. I then borrowed FFVII off a friend and completed a few hours of it. From what I played, I loved, but my PS2 started giving CDs DREs, so I gave up. I'll play it through some day, but it's such a long game, and I swear it took ages for me to get to where I was on the first play through (I was only on the first disc of three as well).
Meh.
I played FFX-2 and it was only decent. It was a spin-off really, and nothing interesting. FFXI was apparently bollocks, so I never bothered with it. FFXII I made sure I played, but I just didn't like it. Probably the new combat system, but it just didn't work for me. Plus the storyline was nowhere near as epic as other Final Fantasy games.

Anyway, I'll stop ranting. Long story short is I've played the start of almost every Final Fantasy, but never had the patience to brave them until the end (even though I love them :\). So don't feel obligated to finish each one. Just go for whichever ones you want.

I recommend you play:
DS remake of FFIII and FFIV when it comes out
FFVII
FFX

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
A lot of people like FF7 because earlier FF either took too long to get localized or did not at all.

Less people exposured at the time of release = less appreciation.

Try making a 10 year old play E.T. and see if you can get him/her interested enough.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nearly 4 hours without power :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    SO POWERLESS
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tell Kanye I need power
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Better start running in your hamster wheel
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Meth addicts on a treadmill connected to a generator "Unlimited POWER!!!'
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before or after a hit?
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay