Sword & Shield at your service
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I had no problems with it over the past year. However, just an hour ago, I had started up the PS2 again with a burned game inside. For some weird reason, it just went to the start menu. I tried to shut the PS2 off but it wouldn't let me. And it wouldn't let me eject the disc either. Then, the fan got really loud. I got scared and quickly shut off the PS2 via the switch. Then, after powering on the PS2 back, my burned discs didn't work. However, my original games did work. Did my modchip just die on me? What should I do?

wyndcrosser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have swap magic try that out (straw the DVD drive to continue spinning). Then play your game. I'm highly guessing it's your laser, as it's not reading burnt games at the right spot on the discs, did you try different types of media for your burnt games. Also look into simply cleaning the laser, either with a cleaning disc or alcohol, etc.

Wynd

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It sounds like you need to adjust the pot (an adjustable resistor) inside of the DVD drive to read your burns. It is a sign that your laser is getting worn but if it still reads legit copies then it isn't totally dead and you should be able to get it working again at least for a while longer. I think the loud noise you heard was probably the DVD drive spinning at max speed because of it not being able to read the disc so I wouldn't worry about it as long as fire doesn't start shooting out of the PS2.
wink.gif

To adjust the pot:

If you don't feel comfortable doing it then there are shops that will recalibrate the laser or replace it for you.

You can also try standing the PS2 on end since they seem to read a bit better.

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
I hope you havent ajusted your lasers pot as sujested already.
9 times out of 10 its a dirty laser. So as a rule clean 1st then try other things later.
The laser cleaning disks are worthless most of the time because the brushes dont reach 90% of lasers. So just take it apart and clean the laser dont ajust anything.
Try it out dont screw it all back together just the dvd laser lid.

Link5084

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
By the way I tried to make the PS2 stand on end but it still didn't read the burned discs. It reads my legit discs just fine. Why would my DVD drive all of a sudden go on MAX speed and wouldn't let me power off my PS2 or eject my burned disc? Not to mention it happened without warning. Does this usually happen with most chipped PS2's?

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure exactly why it starts spinning at max speed when it can't read a disc but it isn't specific to the PS2. I have had the same thing happen on various DVD players, DVD drives/burners (especially in laptops).

As for the PS2 not being able to be turned off it either is due to getting strange messages from the DVD drive when it can't read the disc and freaks out or possibly it is a protection feature in the PS2 that won't allow it to be turned off while the DVD drives isn't able to be halted and laser reset to the default position.

ImpulsE69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you checked that your modchip didn't come unconnected somewhere and shorting?

If it is your laser, You could just get one off ebay and replace it yourself rather than adjusting. There is also the option of soft modding it and putting a hard drive in it....I prefer this method
smile.gif

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
And you cant get into the chips bios. If you cant its dead.
Did you install Freemcboot?
You cant eject while disk is spinning safety feature with all drives wouldnt want a DVD choppin ya in half lol.
And the power surge from the chip would cause it not to turn off locking out your power button the amount of power that would have been going through would make the power switch a closed cuircut.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the chip had become undone at the points used to inject the code or if it were just plain dead then you would get the RSOD and the backup would stop spinning. Also if it were something to do with the chip freaking out then originals would probably be affected as well.

Link5084

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've never softmodded my PS2 with FreeMCBoot.

Did I do a mistake by turning off the PS2 via the switch on the back when my PS2 was making a loud noise with the DVD drive at max speed?

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't worry. There shouldn't have been any harm caused by doing that and actually the contrary. Having the drive spin at top speed and the laser straining to read the disc isn't something you would want to let happen for an extended period.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does burned DVD Movies work? If it does it may not be the laser.

Try and see if you can activate the chip configuration, if you know which chip you have.That should give you a clue if the chip is dead. Some clone chips that are really unstable does put the fan on full speed and then freezes quite often. I'm sure there has to be a shop around you that can adjust the pot of a dvd laser.

Link5084

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I just found something weird.

I have a case of burned games that I didn't even burn (it came with the modded PS2 that I bought from the guy). I just tested them out, and suddenly, they work! They are burned on Ridata discs that the guy who I bought the modded PS2 from burned, not me. However, all the games that I burned which are on Sony, HP, and GQ discs are not working on my PS2. How in the world can this happen? If my modded PS2 can read those Ridata discs, then it can read my other burned discs like it used to.

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
Standard size Phillips head and a small phillips for DVD cover. Small flat blade screwdriver to remove screw covers.A couple of cotton stick ear cleaners and dvd cleaning fluid.
On a flat surfice
turn it on its back remove screw covers, remove all screws grab at ends and turn right way up front facing you pull top up from back move forward enough to get past memory ports then lift the cover from left side (dont lift right side as there can be a cable conected to it if its an earlier model before the 50000 series)lift cover off to the right and lay flat.
Unscrew DVD cover here you can either have 2 or 4 screws the 4 screw ones the cover just lifts off
the 2 screw ones have clips at the rear of the cover that need a blade screwdriver to unclip just place in gap and leaver to centre of dvd drive.
Clean the dust out before you clean the lens
put some dvd cleaner on the lens and use ear stick cleaner in small cirles to clean off lens.
Put Dvd cover back on for the 4 screw just put 2 in for the 2 screw just clip it on
put your lid back on and test.
If anything it wont be a waste of time because it gets a well deserved clean

Link5084

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cobleman said:
Standard size Phillips head and a small phillips for DVD cover. Small flat blade screwdriver to remove screw covers.A couple of cotton stick ear cleaners and dvd cleaning fluid.
On a flat surfice
turn it on its back remove screw covers, remove all screws grab at ends and turn right way up front facing you pull top up from back move forward enough to get past memory ports then lift the cover from left side (dont lift right side as there can be a cable conected to it if its an earlier model before the 50000 series)lift cover off to the right and lay flat.
Unscrew DVD cover here you can either have 2 or 4 screws the 4 screw ones the cover just lifts off
the 2 screw ones have clips at the rear of the cover that need a blade screwdriver to unclip just place in gap and leaver to centre of dvd drive.
Clean the dust out before you clean the lens
put some dvd cleaner on the lens and use ear stick cleaner in small cirles to clean off lens.
Put Dvd cover back on for the 4 screw just put 2 in for the 2 screw just clip it on
put your lid back on and test.
If anything it wont be a waste of time because it gets a well deserved clean

I dont have any DVD cleaning fluid. Whats a suitable replacement?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn