Hacking I think my friend bricked his Wii =\

brandon199019

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here's a copy and paste of him describing what he did and how his Wii now responds:

"basically i upgraded it to 3.4, did the twilight hack, downgraded it to 3.2, started downloading a bunch of VC games, then decided it'd be a great idea to go to the shop channel and update the nintendo channel

i'm guessing the updated nintendo channel needed the upgraded firmware that i didn't have?

i'm kinda surprised that did it, but all i get is a green power light with no video or audio or wiimote syncing. i can turn it on with the wiimote, but then those blue lights just keep flashing.

i guess i'd consider it bricked."

Is this bricked?
And if so, is there anyway to fix it?
Thanks a lot for any help on this guys

kimikal27

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
why is it alwais the friend...?
huh.gif

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
if he has a GC controller, he could try the SaveMii free, wich is, all the buttons in the D-Pad at the same time, if he was on 3.2, why he didn't do the WiiShop Channel patch install?? why he didn't install Starfall, why did he update to 3.4, then went to 3.2, and then went back to 3.4 for????
wtf.gif

deviljr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
kimikal27 said:
why is it alwais the friend...?
huh.gif

because the people always fail to meantion the risks of softmodding a wii to said friend. assuming it is actually their friend.
unsure.gif

WhiteWingedKnigh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hell, Before i mod my friends wii, I specifically tell them, "There might be a chance of a System Brick, I cannot guarentee it will be a full safe installation." Then make them sign a statement i made saying that i am not responsible for anything that happens to your wii since you agreed and signed this sheet.

Ahaha
lecture.gif

yuorfaec

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there! It's the stupid friend himself!

ether2802 said:
if he has a GC controller, he could try the SaveMii free, wich is, all the buttons in the D-Pad at the same time, if he was on 3.2, why he didn't do the WiiShop Channel patch install?? why he didn't install Starfall, why did he update to 3.4, then went to 3.2, and then went back to 3.4 for????
wtf.gif

I knew I was tempting fate by going on the shop channel. I didn't think I'd be updating to 3.4 just by going on the channel but meh I get what I deserve.

I thought I did do the Shop patch install, but maybe it didn't install correctly?

But I do know that Starfall installed correctly.

So, uh, how do I, uh, 'activate' Starfall? See previously mentioned stupidity.

And BTW I do have a GC controller but I'm still waiting for my screwdriver to arrive so I can open it. I have a third party controller but it didn't seem to work. Does it work with 3rd party controllers or was I just doing it wrong?

Thanks...

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I call for IP check with OP and yuorfaec.
tongue.gif

There is no shop channel patch. It just gets the latest version of it. It does not prevent upgrading or anything. You just install the latest shop channel and it's IOS.

IronMask

Official WiiStuntman First to Test ciosCorp!
Trophies
Website
ironmaskshideout.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Well.. next time keep your eye on this site http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Main_Page they always have the Patchmii updates listed in there so you can update the shop channel w/ out the headache and there are other workaround updates as well for the Miichannel (usb keyboard capability feature)... You just have to keep yourself attuned to Wiibrew... because they always have the critical info when you feel you are missing next time check there first.

Good luck on the game cube controller...you should just start keeping a spare disassembled GC controller around for this kind of situation... even though I don't know if it will help.. I haven't witnessed any good results unless I missed the outcome of some similar thread that had success w/ the GC controller in their Wii rescue mission.

tomazzzi

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
But, uh, I have Starfall. Is there any way I can use it now?

If you installed starfall correctly & have a GC controler just put the GC controler on the first GC port.

Start the wii with Y pressed on the GC controler.

Tell us if you see 3.2x (x corresponding to your wii region )

If you can see it, you may save it, if you don t you r screwed !

yuorfaec

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried it. Same response.

I mean, the Wii itself looks fine booting up. Disc light comes on momentarily, checks the disk, but no video or audio output--it's not a black screen, the TV itself isn't getting anything.

Even if I get the SaveMii dongle, would there be anything I can do?

Matt93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yuorfaec said:
Tried it. Same response.

I mean, the Wii itself looks fine booting up. Disc light comes on momentarily, checks the disk, but no video or audio output--it's not a black screen, the TV itself isn't getting anything.

Even if I get the SaveMii dongle, would there be anything I can do?
SaveMii free, as described above does the same thing as a SaveMii dongle, so you might as well just do that instead.

Snave2008

Trophies
Website
www.completelyfreewii.com
XP
Country
This doesn't even sound like a brick does it? (Well not in the software sense)

If you're TV isn't getting any signal from your Wii whatsoever have you tried another lead?

It just seems odd that you're not getting the usual Wii error messages, you're just getting broken Wii won't turn on syndrome?

yuorfaec

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I hooked up my GC to the same TV inputs so it's not the TV

I'd maybe say it could just be a faulty A/V cable or output but the fact that the Wiimote doesn't respond (i.e. player 1 doesn't light up) suggests otherwise. But for some reason it turns on the Wii just fine.

Snave2008

Trophies
Website
www.completelyfreewii.com
XP
Country
Can you get the Wiimote to sync by holding down the red button on the Wii for 15 seconds (I think it's 15?!) and then starting up the sync process again i.e press red button on Wii, then press red button on controller.

I'm not saying that it definitely isn't a software issue (Especially as you say it happened after doing the update) but it just seems weird that the Wii isn't outputting anything to the TV.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA-vTRfE_x0