yuyuyup

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Maybe the 3DS revision is NOT just around the corner. The unveiling of the Vita's battery life (3 to 5 hours) makes me wonder how much COULD they improve the battery life on 3DS without making it substantially larger ? It's not like the 3DS contains a shitty battery; obviously the 3D and next-gen horsepower takes it's toll. I wouldn't think they would release a revision without implementing a stronger battery.

I also don't think it's in the best interest of Nintendo to fracture the developers into 1 and 2 analog camps. None of these 2 analog games will require the 2nd analog. This differs from certain games requiring the Wii Motionplus dongle (or require it for spotlight features.) I mean, a 2nd analog for camera control unnecessary with the perfectly capable touchscreen available. I do recognize there are many great games that have a double analog gameplay focus, but such creative use can be replicated with the touch screen.

My crazy unlikely prediction for the eventual next 3DS model, they will axe the touchscreen and DS support, and have the 2nd analog and an unimproved battery.

DragorianSword

GBAtemp's #1 Gunter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
yuyuyup said:
I also don't think it's in the best interest of Nintendo to fracture the developers into 1 and 2 analog camps. None of these 2 analog games will require the 2nd analog. This differs from certain games requiring the Wii Motionplus dongle (or require it for spotlight features.) I mean, a 2nd analog for camera control unnecessary with the perfectly capable touchscreen available. I do recognize there are many great games that have a double analog gameplay focus, but such creative use can be replicated with the touch screen.

Thank you! Finally someone who thinks about it the same way I do!!!

QUOTE(yuyuyup @ Sep 20 2011, 09:36 PM) My crazy unlikely prediction for the eventual next 3DS model, they will axe the touchscreen and DS support, and have the 2nd analog and an unimproved battery.

I think you're completely right about this + I think it will take until the beginning of 2013.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the 2nd analog addon looks pretty hideous. one would hope they'd at least do something better. do I need an analog on the right? only if it helps for fps I guess but why would I need to play more fps than I already have. I don't think I need this feature.

touch screen yeah I agree it is kinda useless on a handheld. it's hard to figure out how to hold the console while playing metroid DS and using the stylus for other games is kinda clunky.

I do think the fire red 3ds is kinda neat though and it is still one analog.. I may pick one up one day when I find a deal.

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
yuyuyup said:
My crazy unlikely prediction for the eventual next 3DS model, they will axe the touchscreen and DS support, and have the 2nd analog and an unimproved battery.
Meh, if they do this, is not going to be a DS anymore (Dual Screen), is going to be a psp with 3D.

Thrust

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I disagree with a lot of the touch screen comments, I never had any problem using my touch screen to play games, it seems to get a lot more hate than it deserves

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Necron N.N said:
yuyuyup said:
Meh, if they do this, is not going to be a DS anymore (Dual Screen), is going to be a psp with 3D.
The DS in 3DS doesn't stand for Dual Screen like the DS did, but rather Dimensional System.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
machomuu said:
The DS in 3DS doesn't stand for Dual Screen like the DS did, but rather Dimensional System.
In the old DS it stood for Developers' System. Officially.

ph34r.gif

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I, for one, would very much like to see Nintendo innovate LESS on hardware. If they could concentrate on putting out a fairly standard handheld and console, and forge some good 3rd party partnerships, they could bring people in with awesome games.. including some NEW ones that have nothing to do with Mario or Zelda or anything else I played in the 90's.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mthrnite said:
I, for one, would very much like to see Nintendo innovate LESS on hardware. If they could concentrate on putting out a fairly standard handheld and console, and forge some good 3rd party partnerships, they could bring people in with awesome games.. including some NEW ones that have nothing to do with Mario or Zelda or anything else I played in the 90's.
Yeah, I really wish they'd stop too. Hopefully it's just a phase, because if I were given the choice to make a sequel to the Wii vs. any other Nintendo system, I would pick the latter.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
They won't axe the touch screen, there's 3DS games that don't work without it. Do you really think they'll remove compatibility with the system's own games? Think again.
The touch screen is staying at least until the next handheld comes out.

I also think the next 3DS version won't come soon.

DragorianSword

GBAtemp's #1 Gunter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Necron N.N said:
yuyuyup said:

Sorry I didn't read the post very good. I didn't see he said they would get rid of the touchscreen.
I definitely think the touchscreen has to stay!

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
It probably would have stopped with the DS had it not been successful (the whole 3rd pillar if you believed that), but since it was successful, that gave them more incentive to continue with innovation.

About dropping the touch screen and DS support, I wouldn't doubt the latter will happen, but actual touch screen support will stay as it has been used in many 3DS games. They would have had to exclude it from ever being used in the first place with 3DS games to warrant its removal in a later revision.

Tom

Gbatemp's Unofficial Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly i dont want a revision anytime soon, just got my 3ds in may and now a better one comes out? come on i want atleast two years out of my system before a revision gets released

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

3DS isn't going to get rid of it's touchscreen... that'd be beyond retarded as it would instantly make several games feature incomplete at best, or totally broken at worst!

I'd say removing backwards compatibility is incredibly unlikely as well... but not outside the realm of possibility since they removed GCN support from the new European Wiis for no apparent reason... Though I'd say in the 3DS case this is even LESS likely because they won't save anything on hardware... At least on the new wii's they save a tiny bit of money by removing the GCN controller ports/memory cards... Since the 3DS is using functionally equivalent (though higher end) parts to the DS, it would be a mistake to remove support.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
They should drop the 3D.

Seriously.

While way better than the one in Virtual Boy, the current level of tech is still not good enough to be used on a portable console. The limitations of the current 3D screen are also severely limiting the other functions of of the console. You can't really tilt the console, you can't hold it sideways like a book, you can't have headtracking, you can't even go wild with the touch screen, without risk of breaking the 3D effect. That and the fact the touch screen is smaller and lower resolution all but axed 90% of potential control schemes* and left the 3DS in sore need of a second analog to compensate.

*Most of which would be pointless, clumsy, forced, unnatural, irritating and stupid, but the remaining few could turn out to be so much better than the classic controls you wouldn't dream of ever going back, only they won't be because the very limited 3D tech got in the way.

I don't really think they would actually drop the main selling point of the console and the thing they were so proud of (I don't think they'll give it up so easily), I just think they really should. Just drop it. 3D is nice and all but it's just not ready yet, and it's dragging the whole console down with it.

There are two possible redesigns that would (attempt to) rectify the current mess: the one with a better 3D screen (not likely any time soon), and the one with two analogs. The dual analog is way more likely.

And now we wait
ph34r.gif

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Veho said:
They should drop the 3D.

Seriously.

While way better than the one in Virtual Boy, the current level of tech is still not good enough to be used on a portable console. The limitations of the current 3D screen are also severely limiting the other functions of of the console. You can't really tilt the console, you can't hold it sideways like a book, you can't have headtracking, you can't even go wild with the touch screen, without risk of breaking the 3D effect. That and the fact the touch screen is smaller and lower resolution all but axed 90% of potential control schemes* and left the 3DS in sore need of a second analog to compensate.

*Most of which would be pointless, clumsy, forced, unnatural, irritating and stupid, but the remaining few could turn out to be so much better than the classic controls you wouldn't dream of ever going back, only they won't be because the very limited 3D tech got in the way.

I don't really think they would actually drop the main selling point of the console and the thing they were so proud of (I don't think they'll give it up so easily), I just think they really should. Just drop it. 3D is nice and all but it's just not ready yet, and it's dragging the whole console down with it.

There are two possible redesigns that would (attempt to) rectify the current mess: the one with a better 3D screen (not likely any time soon), and the one with two analogs. The dual analog is way more likely.

And now we wait
ph34r.gif
Maybe so but Ninty said that, they aren't gonna make games that completely focuses on 3DS. And besides, if you don't like it, just turn the 3D off.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
+1, OP. I don't think they're planning on changing the 3DS anytime soon, either. The dual analog slidepad accessory (Frankenstick, doohickey, whatever) is being put out there for a minority of 3DS owners who want a traditional control scheme in FPS's, console ports and etc. It's not intended for the hordes of 8 year olds who'll be getting a 3DS for Christmas this year. The types of games that will support this peripheral will be a thin slice of the overall 3DS catalog, much of which will be made up of games most of us have no interest in whatsoever (games based on kiddie TV programs, movie games, shovelware, etc) but still somehow sell. And, so far no 1st party games are known to support it. If you're a developer with a franchise that needs to include a dual-analog scheme to please the fanbase, well there it is.

I keep seeing the term "inevitable revision" in these threads. Well, of course there'll be a revision of the 3DS eventually. But I expect it will only come along when the current features can be improved upon at an acceptable pricepoint - I don't think they'll redesign it for only a 2nd analog pad. Between now and then, whether the 2nd pad becomes part of the revision will depend on how many developers utilize the Frankenstick and how the public accepts it. They're not going to incorporate it into the design if it's only being used by 15% of 3DS owners.

edited for spelling error

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agreed with OP except for dropping of the touchscreen, that won't happen. As has been mentioned, too many 3DS games would not be playable without it, such as say Zelda 3D.

As for dropping the 3D, that would idiotic and lose the main selling point of the system. Personally for me, it's the whole reason I bought the thing. A simply more powerful DS doesn't appeal to me. 3D that works does.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Traps