Hacking I may have bricked my 3ds while updating emunand

the1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Until recently, I had emunand v7.1 because I just had no need to update.

The ban wave scare and the potential to break gateway compatibility if I messed up made me not want to update to 9.5 so I updated to 8.1 using a smash bros rom sometime last week. All went well

Today I decided I wanted themes (this was my mistake) and used a newer smash bros rom to update emunand to 9.2

After it finished it said it was successful and the system will restart and when I pressed a the screen went black. I let it hang for about 5 minutes then hard powered down the system. When I turned it back on, instead of sysnand I get 2 black screens and a blue power light.

This seems like a brick but I'm not sure where I went wrong. The rom was good and the correct region and I definitely was in emunand, not sysnand when I launched the update (because obviously I wouldnt be able to run the rom from sysnand)

I thought at worst I could corrupt my emunand, not my sysnand but it seems like I have a brick. I've tried resetting the console, removing the battery, using different sd cards, and nothing. It's been hanging for about 15 minutes now.

So is there anything I can do to fix this? Thanks, also this is my first post although I've lurked around for a long time and learned a lot.

DarkKaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you have a NAND dump you can try contacting someone that has experience with soldering to flash it back.
Or you can try it yourself, it can be easy/slightly challenging depending on your 3DS model.

the1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured I was screwed but thanks for quickly confirming it.

I don't have a backup unfortunately. Bummer. When I google "3ds unbricking service" there's only about 3 guys and they claim not to need the nand backup, but I think it may be better for me to just cut my losses and sell it as-is on ebay and get myself a shiny N3DS :lol:

and try not to screw up the 3.1 update:P

Dragaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I don't have a backup unfortunately. Bummer. When I google "3ds unbricking service" there's only about 3 guys and they claim not to need the nand backup, but I think it may be better for me to just cut my losses and sell it as-is on ebay and get myself a shiny N3DS :lol:

How much would a bricked 3ds would go for?

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Odd that it bricked that way. I have updated emunand via game rom and CIAs and this did not brick sysnand. Though it WILL brick sysnand if you flash the resulting emunand to sysnand or update sysnand directly with a game rom/cias. The firm0/firm1 partitions have to be manually replaced with rxTools after you update emunand to 9.2 via game rom/cias before it is usuable on sysnand. That means having a firm0.bin and firm1.bin file dumped from an already working 9.2 sysnand image. ;)

Also if you plan to update sysnand in that way, you can exclude the update CIA for TWL_FIRM and the DS Cart White list and have some older flashcarts still work on 9.2 without installing broken files to sysnand like that flashcardtimewarp file does. You can also get AceKard2i working in 9.2 if the sysnand you were updating is at a version that boots it. ;)

D

Deleted User

The "no backup needed" was for the earlier GW 2.0b2 bricks, which in essence, just locked the NAND. You could use a Raspberry Pi to unlock it since it didn't actually do anything to the NAND.

For any other situation - you do need a backup since your NAND has been permanently modified.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Lesson learned, though it worked when I did it to 8.1

Is there anything I can do?

Worked for a while (lot of people did it for 8.1) but seems to brick systems since 2.7 launcher.

Try to hold L+R+UP+A before booting the 3DS? Should boot the recovery menu and let you, at least, update to the last version through internet.

Dunno if the menu appear when you are bricked but I assume it might.

the1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the responses guys

How much would a bricked 3ds would go for?

Other as-is ones with broken screens, unresponsive buttons, no sound etc are going for ~$70-$100 USD, so I'm looking at somewhere around there

The "no backup needed" was for the earlier GW 2.0b2 bricks, which in essence, just locked the NAND. You could use a Raspberry Pi to unlock it since it didn't actually do anything to the NAND.

For any other situation - you do need a backup since your NAND has been permanently modified.

Thanks for the info

Worked for a while (lot of people did it for 8.1) but seems to brick systems since 2.7 launcher.

Try to hold L+R+UP+A before booting the 3DS? Should boot the recovery menu and let you, at least, update to the last version through internet.

Dunno if the menu appear when you are bricked but I assume it might.
It doesn't have any effect, sadly.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
If you have a NAND backup pm hundshamer, if you didn't....well you obviously didn't read the instructions good enough.....you should always made a NAND dump with these kinds of things, especially when your straying from the guide

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up