Hacking I just received my Wiikey

genxor

Trophies
XP
Country
I got mine (in Australia) today. It was from Eurasia.
Had it all soldered in (wire install) but decided to clean it up a little.. Then a solder pad came off. $60AUD down the drain. Crappy PCB.
frown.gif

Foxstar

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It works fine for me, but alot of my NTSC gamecube games dont work, or only display a small part of the screen.
I have a PAL Wii with component cable and 480p setting selected. Why do games like mario tennis and re4 dont display correct?

I think you have to boot some NTSC games with the GCOS boot disc. This will boot the GC games and foce them to display properly. I think. I could be wrong, I'm installing my chip tomorrow and will test. Cheers.

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Im getting irritated here. I ordered my Wiikey 06 February from Gamefreax.de/com. Still nothing.

They got stock in on Friday last week (02 March), but still they havent shipped. I called yesterday, they told me UPS just left, so they'll send tomorrow. Today still nothing, no tracking number so its not shipped.

Im starting to worry theyre going out of stock without sending mine.

Anyone else gotten theirs from Gamefreax (outside germany)? - And ordered on or after 06 February??

I have tried to stay calm, because of all the "is it out yet??" posts lately. But now that's in stock I cannot understand why they havent shipped mine already...

I'm in the same boat as you, all I can say to people outside of Germany is DO NOT order from Gamefreax - the guys are incompetent and I still haven't received my Wiikey - I'm going to cancel my order and I suggest anyone else who hasn't received their Wiikey from Gamefreax do the same. They're just not worth the hassle and fail to answer emails.

ndsbob

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
afaik the wiikey is sold out.
btw imo they are really incompetent. my last order (the product was in stock) was shipped 3 weeks after i transferred the money to them. cause of that i ordered this time at konsolenprofis.de - they are lame too ;-) got my money for weeks now and i'll get my wiikey next week (sold out too)...

all the german shops i tried are a bit lazy
wacko.gif

Louse76

Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I just received mine from modchipstore.com. Pretty damn fast shipping considering that they gave an estimated time of 3 days and the tracking number showed it picked up from them in Texas at 6pm last night, and it arrived here at my house in Pennsylvania at 2pm today. Looking forward to installing it tonight!Â
biggrin.gif

I'm damn glad to hear!

Unfortunately, I ordered over the weekend from them, so it'll probably be a week before I get it.

Anyone know when recent orders will be shipping from modchipstore.com? 9th?

i e-mailed asking about their 2nd batch.
they said they'll get 'em next week.

Nice, hopefully I have them by the end of next week, so I can get my installer out over the weekend.

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Had it all soldered in (wire install) but decided to clean it up a little.. Then a solder pad came off. $60AUD down the drain. Crappy PCB.
frown.gif
The chip should still be able to be used. You will need to follow the trace from the lifted pad to the leg of the WiiKey IC it connects to and solder the wire directly to the IC.
It may not be easy and seeing as you've already had a problem with the soldering it may be worth getting someone experienced to do it for you.

Good luck.

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
alright, i've seen enough confirmations that this is working properly, so, my question is. after i have my wiikey installed (wired), how easy would it be for my to replace it with, for instance, a Chiip? they use the same ports, right? so i could just cut the wires from the wiikey, and solder the microcontroller to the wires, and i'd be ready to go, right?

Presto

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
alright, i've seen enough confirmations that this is working properly, so, my question is. after i have my wiikey installed (wired), how easy would it be for my to replace it with, for instance, a Chiip? they use the same ports, right? so i could just cut the wires from the wiikey, and solder the microcontroller to the wires, and i'd be ready to go, right?

if they r the same point yes. But in IMO a open source chip wont get the same kind of upgrade treatment a paid for chip does

moloko23

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland
Since I heard of the Wiikey it was my first choice but I've found a chip in development being called the WiiXT.

The WiiXT team say their chip will be upgradable via DVD, SD Card or USB Dongle. Will the Wiikey be upgradable via SD Card as well?

Also can or will the Wiikey be able to boot VC games on a PAL Wii?

This little feauture sounds very cool:

"WiiXT Usb Dongle?, What the hell is that? - The WiiXT Usb Dongle plugs into the Wii's usb port and will ship with the modchip. It has 4 switches that communicate with the WiiXT, to Disable/Enable the chip, Boot in upgrade mode, Reflash WiiXT Firmware, and one programmable switch which can be assigned a function via the Chip menu."

I like that ^ much better then having to drill a hole in my Wii casing and attaching a switch...

I was very close to buying a Wiikey but now that I found WiiXT's website I'm unsure. If the WiiXT can really do what they say will do then I think I'll have to go for WiiXT.

My main questions are:
Do you think the Wiikey team will come out with a Wiikey USB dongle?
Do you think Wiikey and WiiXT could be on even par once updates have been made?

I can't wait to finaly get my Wii chipped but I'm stull unsure which one to go for.

*a little off topic* I owned a NDS, didn't buy a flashcart because they seemed too much of a hastle. Bought the NDSL and didn't buy a flashcart for the longest time, then after a long hard think about it I ordered the R4DS. I think I was smart to wait because the R4DS is the best flashcart solution out there. I want to know that I'm safe for the future if I chip my Wii...

Any answers, tips and/or help would be greatly appreciated,

moloko23

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
the wiikey does support a similar disable feature, no? i thought you had to hold down the eject and reset button while turning the unit on or SOMETHING like that to disable it..

genxor

Trophies
XP
Country
frown.gif
The chip should still be able to be used. You will need to follow the trace from the lifted pad to the leg of the WiiKey IC it connects to and solder the wire directly to the IC.
It may not be easy and seeing as you've already had a problem with the soldering it may be worth getting someone experienced to do it for you.

Good luck.

Yeah, I woke up in the middle of the night and thought of that. I'm going to take it to work today and try it with some decent equipment under a microscope.

lookout

GBAtemp Board Room
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I got mine today from Eurasia and finish install with wires, took me 1 hours?
Forgot to mention I uesd 30w solder iron...
wacko.gif

The recommend tips:
put tiny abit of solder iron on each wires before join the point.

modshroom128

Trophies
Website
modshroom128.imgur.com
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: I asked one of my fave translators