squirt1000

Would rather have a cup of Tea!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gonna order one when a decent UK site sells them, Then drag a retaired xbox modder out to do it for me
biggrin.gif

Kaphis

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Just got home, will install tonight, if anyone wants anything tested, drop a line here too~ I will be using quick solder I think...but I've been told to use a lot of solder because the holes don't line up.

Perplexer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got home, will install tonight, if anyone wants anything tested, drop a line here too~ I will be using quick solder I think...but I've been told to use a lot of solder because the holes don't line up.
If you decide to go quicksolder, I suggest you line up the chip, solder down the larger PWR and GND points, then use a strand of stripped wire to bridge each gap between the solder point on the mainboard and the point on the chip. (Using just a blob of solder will be difficult and unreliable.)

Edster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got my Wiikey today as well. I agree it sure is tiny. Not too concerned, I bought a new 20w/40w adjustable iron, I already have solder and I bought a small roll of 30G wire. I'm ready to go. Also got a magnifier. I don't suggest non experienced people attempt to use their bare eyes. The points are pretty small and easy to mess up. Magnify it and you should be good.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it all goes well. I watched the YouTube videos many times so I know what to take apart. You can never be too prepared for this kind of thing.

Vidikron

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Quicksolder, however, is a joke. The points on the chip are way too far from the mark. I chose the quicksolder option anyway for a clean look but I don't suggest that option unless you are fairly experienced.

This from the guy who used to be known for RAM upgrades in XBoxs... it must be fairly difficult soldering then.

Kaphis

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

starduck

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Upgrading XBox RAM:

http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Upgrading_Xbox_RAM_HOWTO

I'm actually surprised Microsoft even left two open slots. Maybe for when the price of 16MB RAM decreased?
It's because Microsoft didn't have any parts custom made for the original Xbox, everything was out of the PC market, you can buy all the parts that are in the Xbox. Taking the time to contract the manufacturer and ask them to change this and that (ie ram slots) would have cost them more money than just buying them stock. So there.

crowbartool

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I ordered mine from foundmy on the 19th. Their website previously said that they have mailed out all the pre-orders up to the 22nd I believe it was. I Havent received anything from them and they dont bother to reply to the 4 emails that I have sent them. I am pretty disapponted with this retailer at the moment. I'll give another update when things change or progress :/
hate2.gif

xeorix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gah! I've had my first DRE.

In Excite Truck (PAL) In versusmode stage 2 (Fiji, or fuji, aint sure
tongue.gif
)
When it have lodaded it goes black and a errormessage appears.

ConraDargo

Flashback Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Now now, try to stay calm everyone who have ordered but not yet received their chip - think positive thoughts and look at the bright side: the more people and websites such as GBAtemp who gets it before you do, the more you'll get to know about the chip's performance and what too look out for/keeping in mind during the installation process or whatever.

I personally won't be installing mine until next week or possible even the week after that. Got plenty of games to entertain myself with while I await more reviews, personal thoughts and hopefully even some update from Nintendo (because who knows what they're trying to cook up to stop us from installing modchips).

Perplexer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Upgrading XBox RAM:

http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Upgrading_Xbox_RAM_HOWTO

I'm actually surprised Microsoft even left two open slots. Maybe for when the price of 16MB RAM decreased?
(Off topic for the moment... Hi Vidikron, I've crossed over! and yeah, I've seen my share of Xbox RAM upgrades
wink.gif
)
In short, Xbox debug/devkit motherboards had 128MB RAM, and Microsoft re-used the exact same board design for consumer Xboxes. The retail Xbox had 64MB, but all the (cheap) components were left on board except for the extra RAM chips.

Microsoft eventually redesigned the motherboards for a number of reasons, and the latest revision (v1.6) no longer has empty RAM pads.

Even more off topic, I didn't realize there was a 128MB upgrade Wiki
wink.gif
Anyone even vaguely interested in doing this, I don't recommend you do the "drowning chip in solder" method they demonstrate!

Back on topic, it's not that the quicksolder is a BAD choice, but it's going to be trickier than it SHOULD be, based on the chip design. (The Cyclowiz is MUCH more suited for quicksolder.)

I know lots of folks here have never soldered before, and that's why I recommend against quicksolder for a first project.

And patience is a virtue. Those who still haven't received their chip, you should have it soon! Take comfort in knowing that you have the best chip out currently. (I'd seen all the posts about jerky video in some games like Wario Ware, and I'd seen it with a friend's Cyclowiz, but it's just as smooth as the original with the Wiikey!!)

Vidikron

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
(Off topic for the moment... Hi Vidikron, I've crossed over! and yeah, I've seen my share of Xbox RAM upgrades
wink.gif
)
In short, Xbox debug/devkit motherboards had 128MB RAM, and Microsoft re-used the exact same board design for consumer Xboxes. The retail Xbox had 64MB, but all the (cheap) components were left on board except for the extra RAM chips.

Microsoft eventually redesigned the motherboards for a number of reasons, and the latest revision (v1.6) no longer has empty RAM pads.

Back on topic, it's not that the quicksolder is a BAD choice, but it's going to be trickier than it SHOULD be, based on the chip design. (The Cyclowiz is MUCH more suited for quicksolder.)

I know lots of folks here have never soldered before, and that's why I recommend against quicksolder for a first project.

And patience is a virtue. Those who still haven't received their chip, you should have it soon! Take comfort in knowing that you have the best chip out currently. (I'd seen all the posts about jerky video in some games like Wario Ware, and I'd seen it with a friend's Cyclowiz, but it's just as smooth as the original with the Wiikey!!)

I've actually got one of your 128 MB motherboards.... still running great. But as to the topic at hand, I've been interested in chipping my Wii (that still doesn't sound right), but haven't tried it yet. I've probably installed 12-15 XBox chips though... how does the soldering for this chip compare to your typical XBox mod chip?

aerodude618

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can anyone explain to me how to wire?
I heard that ALL modchip can play gamecube game off a DVD is that true? and how do i know that froma discrition of a modchip?
Anything else I should know?
Is there any other modchip so far better then this in the making?

sorry for all the ???'s

kristijan08

Trophies
XP
Country
I heard that ALL modchip can play gamecube game off a DVD is that true? and how do i know that froma discrition of a modchip?

sorry for all the ???'s

1) If you don't know how to wire, i take it you're like me and don't know the first thing about installing and should seek professional help (don't brick your wii, they are too good for that)
2) Yes you can burn your gamecube back ups to either mini dvd-r or normal dvd-r and they will play on your modded wii. the feature is usually described as "boot gamecube backups". I have a wiikey and i can boot my backups fine, and i can also boot my import games using Wiinja's GCOS PAL tool.
3) No you don't need to know anything else, or if you do, i'm sure the forums already have an answer somehwere!!
4) Arguably no, but there is the wiip and the chiip, being open source projects they can either become really good (if people code for them) or really bad (if no one can be assed makin code for them). Wiikey is a pretty safe bet, any chips rumoured to be coming out don't add any additional functionality to what the wiikey promises (and delivers).

aerodude618

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

sorry for all the ???'s

1) If you don't know how to wire, i take it you're like me and don't know the first thing about installing and should seek professional help (don't brick your wii, they are too good for that)
2) Yes you can burn your gamecube back ups to either mini dvd-r or normal dvd-r and they will play on your modded wii. the feature is usually described as "boot gamecube backups". I have a wiikey and i can boot my backups fine, and i can also boot my import games using Wiinja's GCOS PAL tool.
3) No you don't need to know anything else, or if you do, i'm sure the forums already have an answer somehwere!!
4) Arguably no, but there is the wiip and the chiip, being open source projects they can either become really good (if people code for them) or really bad (if no one can be assed makin code for them). Wiikey is a pretty safe bet, any chips rumoured to be coming out don't add any additional functionality to what the wiikey promises (and delivers).

thanks
how did you do the installation?
I heard wiring is not risky though, because if i do it professinally my dad is going to pay. I think he may know how to do it, He just need directions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up