I have an unopened 3DS I'll be selling on eBay, is there a way to verify its firmware by serial #?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by neoelectronaut, Sep 2, 2015.

1. neoelectronaut
    OP

neoelectronaut Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2015
    United States
    To preface, yes, I read the Flashcart FAQ section about "Can you check the System version before buying a new 3DS?", I was just hoping to further clarify what I have as to avoid any incorrect info on my eBay auction listing and potential backlash because of it.

I have a Flame Red 3DS that's never been opened, and as such, as never been powered on and updated. Its serial number starts with CW1338. Is there a documented list of firmware by serial so I can accurately post in the auction what firmware the system will be shipping with?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    Is your 3DS a New3DS or just a regular Old 3DS? Pretty much all the old 3DSes have exploitable firmware below 9.2. (provided they aren't used or opened then returned to the store by a customer) as Nintendo has winded down production of them since the n3DS now replaces them. If it's a n3DS, refer to this thread:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/n3ds-xl-firmware-by-version-number.381479/

As long as it's not a launch console (which it seems very unlikely yours is) it should also have the webbrowser installed.

Also since it's eBay, you have no obligation to mention what specific firmware it's on. You can just say it's brand new and unopened so it's likely to have a firmware below 9.2, but you can't guarantee 100% that it won't and won't accept returns because of it. As long you make your return policy clear, you should be fine. :P

Chances are the user that ends up buying it won't even know or care that they can use a flashcard/CFW on it.

3. khlover

khlover Member

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2015
    Gambia, The
    I don't find serial CW1338 anywhere. Like...your thread is the ONLY mention of that specific firmware. QW1338 nets zero results. You sure you read that Serial right?

4. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    QW is the range for N3DS. You probably have an o3DS which goes by CW instead. You don't need a serial list for an o3DS if it's brand new and unopened. They are all highly likely to be on 7.x FW or below.

5. neoelectronaut
    OP

neoelectronaut Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2015
    United States
    Well, it's not a launch console, since the Flame Red 3DS launched in September 2011 alongside Star Fox 3D, but I purchased it sometime in late 2012, so it may be from a later manufacturing run.

I was hoping the person that buys it knows and cares about Custom Firmware because I was hoping it would increase its value a bit.

6. dkabot

dkabot Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own

Sep 9, 2014
    United States
    To expand this, by all accounts I'm aware of, an unopened O3DS will not be higher than 9.2 (last I checked)

7. Konno Ryo

Konno Ryo gbatemp's clueless butler?

Aug 5, 2015
    Canada
    Somewhere?
    How much you plan on selling it for? And on a side note I have been thinking of buying another 3DS:glare:, one problem, no CC:cry:. Sigh, what to do:unsure:,

8. usernametaken

usernametaken GBAtemp Maniac

May 13, 2015
    United States
    If it's an O3DS you can buy it in store.

If you're going to buy online:
    Buy a prepaid debit and add the funds to your paypal account
    Buy a moneyorder with the required amount and mail that off (Make sure whoever you buy from accepts this method)

Konno Ryo likes this.
  9. doctorgoat

doctorgoat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 3, 2015
    United States
    Add the line "Only opened to check firmware" to the auction.

10. DaftMink

DaftMink GBAtemp Regular

Mar 19, 2015
    United States
    As soon as the sticker seal is broken it becomes "New other (see details)".
    I bought an original 3ds Cosmo Black on Ebay for $175 with game/case last month, it's going to take the right customer to get top dollar.
    Came with firmware version 6.3 by the way.

11. doctorgoat

doctorgoat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 3, 2015
    United States
    Then you don't have a choice other than just selling it and making no guarantees.

12. neoelectronaut
    OP

neoelectronaut Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2015
    United States
    Yeah, I'll probably toss in a game and one of my Club Nintendo Game Card Cases as well to sweeten the pot a bit.

13. amoulton

amoulton GBAtemp Fan

Nov 18, 2014
    United States
    Franklin, Massachusetts
    you know club nintendo is done, right? is this forum like the lake house?

14. neoelectronaut
    OP

neoelectronaut Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2015
    United States
    Right...I have two of the 18-Game Card Cases that I redeemed earlier in the year that I don't use, so I'll probably throw one in as an extra.

15. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    Bullet Hell
    I know you're all US, but I bought a brand new Arctic White o3ds off of amazon.co.uk last month and it came with fw 2.0... it now has 4.4.0-4E sysnand and rxtools 9.9.0-26E emunand B-)

16. calagan

calagan Member

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2009
    Swaziland
    solarisjapan.com accepts Bitcoins and they have some nice hard-to-find sets.

17. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    If it indeed has never been opened and is still sealed on both sides then it's 100% guaranteed to be below 9.2. It may even be on 4.x or below, not that that matters anymore.

18. neoelectronaut
    OP

neoelectronaut Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2015
    United States
    Interesting. I saw an eBay auction that listed "Firmware 4.5" in the title, but I'd hate to try something similar only to find out it's either higher or lower than that.

19. Pecrow

Pecrow GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 23, 2015
    United States
    Do this, Open the box carefully, configure the 3ds and view the version. perform a factory reset so that it goes back to the setup screen and then Set in the Listing " Confirmed to have firmware version x.x.x" and there you go.

Maximilious likes this.
  20. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    I bought a Flame Red 3ds on the first day it was available (09/2011) and it was firm 2.2. 100% exploitable and will have a browser.
    They stopped manufacturing these well before 9.2.