Hacking I followed a softmodding guide that probably gave me bad advice...opti

HerroRygar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I followed a softmodding guide that I found on youtube entitled "How to hack your wii in 7 minutes". I can post the link if that's allowed?

...anyway. The guide is pretty straightforward, in the beginning. The author of the video runs hackmii, installs the homebrew channel, dvdx, but skips bootmii for some reason. He then moves on to restoring the Trucha Bug, I think, by downgrading IOS 35? His next step is to run a piece of software called PatchMii, which installs a custom IOS, I think, although it's unclear which one.

The final step is where I'm confused. The author directs the viewer to use WADManager v1.4, and then install what appears to be a cIOS of IOS35 through IOS35. At the time, I went along with this, but now I'm puzzled. This seems to flatly contradict every other guide I've written, which either specify using 36, or 249, or whatever else, and then installing a few other cIOS through it. That's also pretty much the last step of the video, which also puzzles me. There's no deleting of stub IOS's, no installation of additional cIOS's, etc. I'm able to run homebrew on my console, so that works...but I haven't tested the backup launcher yet, where I think the problem may lie. I'd like to take another stab at this, but am unsure of how to proceed - would it be better to revirginize my wii, or layer an existing modding implementation on top of what I already have (such as the one in the top sticky)?

Sorry if the detail is lacking - I'm pretty new to the scene. Again, I'd be happy to post a link to the video if someone could confirm for me that this won't violate TOS?

Thanks.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You used a guide from the stone age, you are lucky you did not manage to brick your Wii. To restore the Wii to the state it was in before you messed things up:
Get the latest IOS35 as wad with NUS Downloader and install it with WAD Manager. Then follow a guide that states to work on all Wiis including 4.2 Wiis.

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actually that guide should have worked just fine on that version........ In fact if you did the downgrade of 35 just install the latest cIOS 38 from Waninkoko using IOS 35 for the install and it should work perfectly fine.

HerroRygar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^^Actually, the video was published in June of this year. It assumes you have system menu 4.0

cIOS38, eh? Should I go through the any title deleter process, clearing out stub IOS's?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
HerroRygar said:
^^Actually, the video was published in June of this year. It assumes you have system menu 4.0

cIOS38, eh? Should I go through the any title deleter process, clearing out stub IOS's?

It also assumes you don't have a boot2v4 Wii if it was downgrading IOS35. If you did have a boot2v4 (LU64+) Wii IOS35 would now be worthless and broken.

You don't need to clear out stubs if you aren't on 4.2.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95eUhuR8_ps