Homebrew I done messed up, talk me back to the light...

tschumi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
NOTE: This was a huge wall of text, I've tried to cut it down as much as possible, but I'm trying to tell the whole story so I'm not accused of failing to do so :P

I homebrewed my Wii U last week according to P3nce's youtube video tutorial - it worked like a charm.

(for the record i've shown my syscheck file to support helpers elsewhere and my installation is fine)

First off, without any Wii U games to rip and store, I put my gamecube and Wii archives onto an external 500GB SSD hard drive and played them with USB Loader GX on the vWii with near total success.

Once some ordered titles started arriving, I began looking into options for getting Wii U games going. I decided that it was a waste to put 70GB or so of GCN/Wii games on that 500GB SSD, so I took that SSD, cleared out all the folders on it, and let the Wii U format it to be an install USB for the 180-odd GB of Wii U games I would transfer across with my SD card.

So far so good, I am now able to play Wii U games - with some exceptions - without much trouble.*

*I think I got the update/DLC installation a bit wrong on a few of the titles, whatever, some of them don't seem to run, Xenoblade seems to freeze my system, but Breath of the Wild works, among others

In the mean time, I put a few GBA roms on my SD card and played them in my vWii using visualboy advance via the USB Loader GX menu.

THE PROBLEM IS HAPPENING NOW, because a 128GB USB drive arrived from Amazon and I wanted to put my gamecube and wii archives onto it.

The USB crapped out and just failed on me.

So, reluctantly, I tried to use a new hard drive that I had intended to use for my PS4 Pro extended storage - a 2 TB WD_Black HDD - for Wii/GCN games. So yeah all-in-all I've traded in a 500GB SSD for a 2TB HDD for my 70-odd GB of Wii and GCN images. Bit of a cluster fuck, really...

This is where stuff went wrong.

On my laptop I have a sort of backup of the folders from my 500GB SSD when my Wii/GCN games were working at the start. They're all there in their folders, formatted just like they should be by 'Wii Backup Manager", copy/pasted from the Drive. I took these backups and simply copy/pasted them across onto my 2TB WD_Black HDD.

Then, with a Y-Cable to power the drive, I turned off my Wii U, connected the data USB into the top of the two rear USB ports, and the power USB into the bottom port.

I turned on the Wii U, navigated to vWii, opened USB Loader GX... and the only files I can see in the 'games' list are all the emulators on my SD card.

I don't see any GCN or Wii games, like I did before when I had just jailbroken the thing according to P3nce's tutorial.

I think to myself: "Okay, I tried to play those GBA games, so I've got my USB Loader GX looking at my SD for roms, not my USB. So I go into settings > Hard Drives > and switched my drive from 'SD' to 'FAT32 1890 GB', or whatever it's called. Should work now, right? wrong.

I restart USB Loader GX. I restart my console. I open USB Loader GX from INSIDE USB Loader GX (this time it says 'waiting for HDD' and counts down from 20, or something, but apparently my HDD fails to communicate). It doesn't show my game files. I even tried plugging my HDD into the Wii U and the power lead from the Y-cable into my laptop to make sure it was getting enough power.

Nintendont isn't on my vWii menu for some reason, but I opened it via USB Loader GX and I was able to SEE AND PLAY my gamecube games - but they all said "There is no memory card in slot A" and I couldn't save. I went to try fiddle with the Nintendont settings and 'mount' a memory card, but I couldn't find it again and I rage quit and came here for help.

So, in summary, I stand here:

Condition A: (until a few days ago) Recently jailbroken, everything works well, don't have any Wii U games but Wii and GCN games are all emulating more or less perfectly from a WD 500GB SSD external drive.

Condition B: Decided to back track, removed Wii/GCN games from that 500GB SSD drive and used it to install Wii U games instead. Wii U games for the most part work fine. I also use my SD card to play some GBA roms via vWii using VisualBoy Advance.

Condition C: (current condition) Try to use a second external hard drive (WD_BLACK 2TB HDD) for storing the Wii and GCN games that worked fine previously, but USB Loader GX on my vWii doesn't read my HDD and the 'game' list in USB L GX is populated by the emulators on my SD card. I can't make it read my new hard drive, the obvious option where I change the hard drive from "SD" to "FAT32 1920 GB", or whatever it's called, doesn't make a difference. I can SEE AND PLAY the games via nintendont, which I open through USB Loader gx, but it doesn't have a memory card mounted. I'd rather have it work like it used t.

Huge appreciation to anyone who can read that/help me out. Really want to get this working correctly.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
NOTE: This was a huge wall of text, I've tried to cut it down as much as possible, but I'm trying to tell the whole story so I'm not accused of failing to do so :P

I homebrewed my Wii U last week according to P3nce's youtube video tutorial - it worked like a charm.

(for the record i've shown my syscheck file to support helpers elsewhere and my installation is fine)

First off, without any Wii U games to rip and store, I put my gamecube and Wii archives onto an external 500GB SSD hard drive and played them with USB Loader GX on the vWii with near total success.

Once some ordered titles started arriving, I began looking into options for getting Wii U games going. I decided that it was a waste to put 70GB or so of GCN/Wii games on that 500GB SSD, so I took that SSD, cleared out all the folders on it, and let the Wii U format it to be an install USB for the 180-odd GB of Wii U games I would transfer across with my SD card.

So far so good, I am now able to play Wii U games - with some exceptions - without much trouble.*

*I think I got the update/DLC installation a bit wrong on a few of the titles, whatever, some of them don't seem to run, Xenoblade seems to freeze my system, but Breath of the Wild works, among others

In the mean time, I put a few GBA roms on my SD card and played them in my vWii using visualboy advance via the USB Loader GX menu.

THE PROBLEM IS HAPPENING NOW, because a 128GB USB drive arrived from Amazon and I wanted to put my gamecube and wii archives onto it.

The USB crapped out and just failed on me.

So, reluctantly, I tried to use a new hard drive that I had intended to use for my PS4 Pro extended storage - a 2 TB WD_Black HDD - for Wii/GCN games. So yeah all-in-all I've traded in a 500GB SSD for a 2TB HDD for my 70-odd GB of Wii and GCN images. Bit of a cluster fuck, really...

This is where stuff went wrong.

On my laptop I have a sort of backup of the folders from my 500GB SSD when my Wii/GCN games were working at the start. They're all there in their folders, formatted just like they should be by 'Wii Backup Manager", copy/pasted from the Drive. I took these backups and simply copy/pasted them across onto my 2TB WD_Black HDD.

Then, with a Y-Cable to power the drive, I turned off my Wii U, connected the data USB into the top of the two rear USB ports, and the power USB into the bottom port.

I turned on the Wii U, navigated to vWii, opened USB Loader GX... and the only files I can see in the 'games' list are all the emulators on my SD card.

I don't see any GCN or Wii games, like I did before when I had just jailbroken the thing according to P3nce's tutorial.

I think to myself: "Okay, I tried to play those GBA games, so I've got my USB Loader GX looking at my SD for roms, not my USB. So I go into settings > Hard Drives > and switched my drive from 'SD' to 'FAT32 1890 GB', or whatever it's called. Should work now, right? wrong.

I restart USB Loader GX. I restart my console. I open USB Loader GX from INSIDE USB Loader GX (this time it says 'waiting for HDD' and counts down from 20, or something, but apparently my HDD fails to communicate). It doesn't show my game files. I even tried plugging my HDD into the Wii U and the power lead from the Y-cable into my laptop to make sure it was getting enough power.

Nintendont isn't on my vWii menu for some reason, but I opened it via USB Loader GX and I was able to SEE AND PLAY my gamecube games - but they all said "There is no memory card in slot A" and I couldn't save. I went to try fiddle with the Nintendont settings and 'mount' a memory card, but I couldn't find it again and I rage quit and came here for help.

So, in summary, I stand here:

Condition A: (until a few days ago) Recently jailbroken, everything works well, don't have any Wii U games but Wii and GCN games are all emulating more or less perfectly from a WD 500GB SSD external drive.

Condition B: Decided to back track, removed Wii/GCN games from that 500GB SSD drive and used it to install Wii U games instead. Wii U games for the most part work fine. I also use my SD card to play some GBA roms via vWii using VisualBoy Advance.

Condition C: (current condition) Try to use a second external hard drive (WD_BLACK 2TB HDD) for storing the Wii and GCN games that worked fine previously, but USB Loader GX on my vWii doesn't read my HDD and the 'game' list in USB L GX is populated by the emulators on my SD card. I can't make it read my new hard drive, the obvious option where I change the hard drive from "SD" to "FAT32 1920 GB", or whatever it's called, doesn't make a difference. I can SEE AND PLAY the games via nintendont, which I open through USB Loader gx, but it doesn't have a memory card mounted. I'd rather have it work like it used t.

Huge appreciation to anyone who can read that/help me out. Really want to get this working correctly.
If that is a USB powered drive you need a Y-cable as the Wii U doesn't provide enough power from a single port.

tschumi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hello,

which version of cios d2x do you have to install ??

Can you post a syscheck report by following this guide, please ?? ==>

If that is a USB powered drive you need a Y-cable as the Wii U doesn't provide enough power from a single port.

Hey, as I said in my OP I've had another support/helper look at my syscheck and they say my install is fine and up to date :)Regardless:

SysCheck HDE v2.4.0 HacksDen Edition by JoostinOnline, Double_A, R2-D2199, and Nano
...runs on vIOS58 (rev 6432).
Region: NTSC-J
System Menu 4.3J (v608)
Drive date: 07.12.2012
Homebrew Channel 1.1.2 running on IOS58
Hollywood v0x21
Console ID: 614979555
Console Type: vWii
Shop Channel Country: Japan (1)
Boot2 v0
Found 48 titles.
Found 34 IOS on this console. 0 of them are stubs.
vIOS9 (rev 1290): No Patches
vIOS12 (rev 782): No Patches
vIOS13 (rev 1288): No Patches
vIOS14 (rev 1288): No Patches
vIOS15 (rev 1288): No Patches
vIOS17 (rev 1288): No Patches
vIOS21 (rev 1295): No Patches
vIOS22 (rev 1550): No Patches
vIOS28 (rev 2063): No Patches
vIOS31 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS33 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS34 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS35 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS36 (rev 3864): No Patches
vIOS37 (rev 5919): No Patches
vIOS38 (rev 4380): No Patches
vIOS41 (rev 3863): No Patches
vIOS43 (rev 3863): No Patches
vIOS45 (rev 3863): No Patches
vIOS46 (rev 3863): No Patches
vIOS48 (rev 4380): No Patches
vIOS53 (rev 5919): No Patches
vIOS55 (rev 5919): No Patches
vIOS56 (rev 5918): No Patches
vIOS57 (rev 6175): No Patches
vIOS58 (rev 6432): USB 2.0
vIOS59 (rev 9249): No Patches
vIOS62 (rev 6942): No Patches
vIOS80 (rev 7200): No Patches
vIOS249[56] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta52-vWii): NAND Access, USB 2.0
vIOS250[57] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta52-vWii): NAND Access, USB 2.0
vIOS251[58] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta52-vWii): NAND Access, USB 2.0
vIOS512 (rev 7): No Patches
vIOS513 (rev 1): No Patches
Report generated on 05/03/2021.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

As I mentioned in the spoiler'd part of the OP I use a Y-wire :)

Attachments

• SysCheckHDE.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 108
Reactions: jeannotte

tschumi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
@jeannotte @The Real Jdbye
Hey guys,

Thanks for your help

It turned out that all I had to do was go into 'custom paths' on the USB Loader GX settings and change my Gamecube Main Path from SD to USB 2. :) Works now

My NEW problem is that my Japanese TV doesn't recognize the video output from my vWii when I'm playing PAL games. NTSC works fine, but my three PAL games all fail to display on my TV. I can see them on the Wii U handheld, but not the screen. I guess I need some way to reprocess the videoOUT to make it NTSC, or else just find some replacement archives that are not PAL...

Last edited by tschumi,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
@jeannotte @The Real Jdbye
Hey guys,

Thanks for your help

It turned out that all I had to do was go into 'custom paths' on the USB Loader GX settings and change my Gamecube Main Path from SD to USB 2. :) Works now

My NEW problem is that my Japanese TV doesn't recognize the video output from my vWii when I'm playing PAL games. NTSC works fine, but my three PAL games all fail to display on my TV. I can see them on the Wii U handheld, but not the screen. I guess I need some way to reprocess the videoOUT to make it NTSC, or else just find some replacement archives that are not PAL...
You can try to force video mode (and optionally enable VIDTV patch) in USB Loader GX to force the video mode to NTSC. However the compatibility is not the best when using those features. Are you not using HDMI to connect the Wii U? With HDMI I didn't think the NTSC/PAL thing would matter as it's all being upscaled to 720p/1080p (which are universal, not PAL/NTSC specific) but PAL on NTSC TVs can indeed be an issue with composite or RF.

Reactions: jeannotte

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I'd need a subway foot-long bun, for my sausage. B-)