I can install IOS in vWii! But...

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by damysteryman, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Skeet1983

Skeet1983 GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 22, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere, out there...
    How
    How do I go about using it to install IOS236? I have the BlueDump at root on my SD card, but nothing is showing up on SD card when I run WiiXplorer from HBC...

2. RedCoreZero

RedCoreZero Creativity is Power

Banned
    Nov 12, 2012
    United States
    Lived in Florida
    I'll be keeping my Wii,if not I'll still able able to transfer some hacked channels via SD Card.As long as I can play modded games I'm good, I'll just download cracked wads of games I want.

3. muskieratboi

muskieratboi Rydian's got some competition!

Sep 19, 2012
    Hellboy, is that La Mulana an injected WAD? Trying to figure out if WiiWare/VC is working on the vWii with damysteryman's new IOS236.

4. hellboy2010

hellboy2010 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 22, 2010
    United States
    Ww, & Cv, are working fine on the vWii.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

djbubba2002 likes this.
  5. muskieratboi

Sep 19, 2012
    Fantastic! Another thing to cross off the list!

Now, I just need to get a copy of brawl, lol...

6. samethernet

samethernet GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2009
    brawl aint the only working exploit to get the homebrew channel installed

7. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

GBAtemp Patron
    pwsincd is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    im not sure i like all this unprotected sex with a vwii....

8. muskieratboi

Sep 19, 2012
    True, True. besides, Brawl is $80(!) preowned at my local EBGames, where as I can grab Lego Batman for $18 XD

BatHaxx it is!

9. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    So far, only some wads install for me using MMM and IOS236. I installed the Internet Channel and Photo Channel (1.0 that has mp3 vs ogg) just fine with DOP-MII and both channels installed and run fine from what i can tell. the problem comes when i use MMM to Install wads. a Master Quest VC inject i had from years ago installed fine along with Yoshi's Story. but Zelda Link to the past, other vc titles i dumped with ShowMiiWads throw RET -1020. the Everyone Votes Channel, Nintendo Channel, and Check Mii Out Channel also RET -1020. I even tried trucha signing them with wwpacker with no success either.

Instructions for those who have trouble dumping their nand and to get IOS36----------------
    1. download WiiXplorer and put in apps folder on SD card.
    2. download the FSToolbox AHBPROT mod from first post.
    3. put that wherever you want on the SD card.
    4. put sd card in Wii U then start the Homebrew Channel.
    5. start WiiXplorer then run FSToolbox using it.
    6. ignore the ret -1029 error then press A when told to.
    7. Press (1) and FSToolbox will dump the NAND to the FSTOOLBOX folder on the SD Card.
    8. when its finished, open up the nand dump using ShowMiiWads. i used ShowMiiWads 1.5 mod by orwel.
    9. right click on IOS 36 and click "Pack Wad". save the wad to the root of the SD Card.
    ---------------------------------------------Now to get the patched IOS236 Installed.
    10. rename wad to "IOS36-64-v3864.wad"
    11. Download IOS236 Installer MOD v6 for vWii and put in apps folder of SD card.
    Put sd card in Wii U and start the IOS236 Installer Mod using the Homebrew Channel.
    12. when its done, you will now have a patched IOS236 that DOP-MII and MMM can use.
    13. Install Wads and stuff :)
    ------------------------
    Note. if your Wii U shuts off seconds after you get to the system menu and appears to be bricked afterward.( blue light turns on but console does nothing). unplug the Wii U and let it sit for 5 or 10 min then power back up. mine did this and i thought IOS236 bricked it from a botched install somehow. that was not the case tho.

megamaan likes this.
  10. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    anyone have a better program to use then MMM to install wads. YAWMM dumped as soon as I told it to load IOS236 so i could not use that one. i would prefer to not use MMM from it being outdated and unsafe to use supposedly.

11. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    while were on the topic of installing IOS's and Wads (stuff that directly touches the nand and could result in bricking). has anyone used Settings Editor GUI to change WiiMode settings at all. I am really tempted to change the sound option from Stereo to Surround since my receiver can do Pro-logic and have no hardware (or the soldering skills to install a Infectus,etc) restore the vWii nand via flashing it if I brick it.

12. damysteryman
    OP

damysteryman I am too busy IRL these days...

Oct 4, 2007
    @Excelsiior:
    I have managed to look at the YAWMM MOD source, and I have found the problem. It was something so silly too! But not to worry, ti was not your fault, it was MY silly mistake! You see, like I said in my first post, the patches were only tested on IOS36 and IOS55. But, programs these days are loaded with IOS58 by default, which I did not test. And I found out now, that my 4th patch is not compatible with the vWii IOS58 yet. Oops! I would have to update the patch and change the search pattern to make it more generic when I get the time. In the meantime however, you should be able to first call IOSPATCH_AHBPROT(), then reload to another IOS, like 36 or 55, then after reloading to one of those IOS, call runtimePatchApply(). That should get it to work until I get to update my patches.

Also, tried Bluedump too, and it fails to pack IOS (regular channels are fine though), failing with either error -106, or error -4. I also tried modifying Bluedump a few days ago, but got the same result, so I abandoned it. I do not know what causes this, and why it fails when FS Toolbox succeeds.

@Skeet1983:
    Gecko 1.9.3.1 should work fine even without a patched IOS, at least for loading up games. Enabling cheats is something I have not tried yet though, but I do not see why it would not work though, even without cIOS. I will try test this sometime when I can.

@pwsincd:
    Aww, why not? I am not modifying the main critical parts as of yet (BC-NAND, BC-WFS, System Menu, IOS80, and IOS58), I am only modifying things that I can fix should I screw them up :D

@driverdis:
    Hmmm, would you be able to grab a ticket from one of those non-functioning wads, and load it in a hex editor, and check the 4 bytes at offset 0x1D8? That is the Console ID that the title is tied to. Try zeroing out those 4 bytes in the ticket (make a backup of the file first), then repack, and try installing again.

As for the Wii settings, I am not sure. Changing the settings in Wii U mode from stereo to surround did not affect the Wii mode setting (stayed as stereo when viewed in Setting Editor GUI), and since it messes with System Menu, I am not game enough to try to change it myself yet.

13. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

GBAtemp Patron
    pwsincd is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    i know man , just would like to see an escape net in place before i attempt to mess.

14. Wiiman10

Wiiman10 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 3, 2009
    United States
    What version of Wiixplorer is needed? I went to the http://code.google.com/p/wiixplorer/downloads/list and am not sure which one I should download, as I see a fowarder channel as the most recent one. WiiXplorer Forwarder Channel v12 (.wad) (in the Design of v5)to be exact.

15. Supercool330

Supercool330 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 28, 2008
    United States
    The version check in bluedump is crap. It simply appends contents/title.tmd to everything, even if it creates a totally nonsensical path. I'm looking at turning that fixed mod of bluedump into a one click vWii IOS dumper.

16. Excelsiior

Excelsiior GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2009
    Germany
    ... I though you actually WERE using IOS58, now I feel dump... Either way, it's working now. Bluedump worked fine for me yesterday dumping IOS 36 WAD. Will try again, maybe just luck?

17. nitrate

nitrate Member

Newcomer
    Dec 10, 2012
    United States
    No seriously - i am asking this now because damysteryman's last post sounded to me like "don't use my installer yet, it has to be fixed first".

What i wanna know: is it safe to use the installer to install IOS 236 - yes or no?

18. uyjulian

uyjulian Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    no

19. Supercool330

Supercool330 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 28, 2008
    United States
    Bluedump should only need the ISFS permissions patch, but when I tried to dump something it crashed (as in core dump).

20. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    what exactly is not safe about using the IOS236 Installer?. I used it and WiiMode is not Bricked.