Hyperkin will be releasing an HDMI cable for the original Xbox

5958460402_566c14e3bf.jpg

Video game accessory maker Hyperkin had success earlier this year when they released the throwback original Duke Xbox controller for the Xbox One. Now, they're looking towards making another Xbox related item: an HDMI adapter for the 17 year old Xbox. While the system did have cables that would let it output at 1080i, it required an official adapter and component cables. Hyperkin's solution modernizes things, for those that still want to play original Xbox games that haven't made their way to the Xbox One's backwards compatibility program yet. Discontinued third-party HDMI cables have already existed for a while for the system, but seeing as Microsoft licensed their Duke controller, they might also license this cable and make it an official accessory. Hyperkin's Xbox HDMI cable will be available to purchase sometime in Q4 2018.

:arrow: Source

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can find XBox component cables for like $9 on Amazon. And a good (enough) component -> HDMI box costs $20-$26 and can be used (with a switch) for multiple devices. Maybe Hyperkin could focus on a cheap Gamecube component or hdmi cable? I'm still hoping that at some point there will be one that's $30-$40 where I don't have to worry it'll kill my Gamecube.

Reactions: DarthDub

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Why? The system Outputs 480i and PAL regions had to SM/hardmod their unit to use the video switcher (Enigmah) for NTSC to take full advantage of 480p/720p displays. Even then, some of the xbe's on the games had to be patched for 720p.

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is going to be great! I hate how limited I am with my huegbox to tv's with composite or component.
Still one of the best console-based mame emulators!

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
You can find XBox component cables for like $9 on Amazon. And a good (enough) component -> HDMI box costs $20-$26 and can be used (with a switch) for multiple devices. Maybe Hyperkin could focus on a cheap Gamecube component or hdmi cable? I'm still hoping that at some point there will be one that's $30-$40 where I don't have to worry it'll kill my Gamecube.
The 3rd party one I got works great! Don't need HDMI.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3rd party one I got works great! Don't need HDMI.

I mention the HDMI converter because (1) as a comparison it's good to try to compare apples to apples as much as possible and (2) I like a lot of people don't have any [useful] displays with component in but HDMI in is an option. The funny thing is the XBox is the only thing I have that uses component. Would love to get HDMI/component out of my Saturn some day, but admittedly it's not a high priority (and like the Gamecube the price would have to be right).

Reactions: DarthDub

Luhof

Trophies
Website
luhof.fr
XP
Country
France
How will it change the output on a big TV, compared to a simple SCART (or the yellow/red/white wires) ? Is the difference even noticeable ?
If so, time to meet again my nemesis : that clunky Shrek XBOX game.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Why? The system Outputs 480i and PAL regions had to SM/hardmod their unit to use the video switcher (Enigmah) for NTSC to take full advantage of 480p/720p displays. Even then, some of the xbe's on the games had to be patched for 720p.
The original Xbox outputs up to 1080i, it's entirely a matter of the software and your setup.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll probably buy this too, but I'll have to convince myself to finally mod my xbox to make it worth it. Is that still even do-able? I remember it needing an old IDE hdd cable or something.

D

Deleted User

I'll probably buy this too, but I'll have to convince myself to finally mod my xbox to make it worth it. Is that still even do-able? I remember it needing an old IDE hdd cable or something.
Yes it's doable in fact if you don't mod it before the original HDD dies your screwed

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
How will it change the output on a big TV, compared to a simple SCART (or the yellow/red/white wires) ? Is the difference even noticeable ?
If so, time to meet again my nemesis : that clunky Shrek XBOX game.
The image will noticeably be sharper with better colors. Shrek 1 and 2 on xbox can display 480p, and Shrek 2 supports 16:9 as well. In comparison scart would give you 480i.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe it will be better than the one that you can buy right now? (Not that the one you can buy right now is bad, just a bit darker picture than component cable.)

I guess going forward this would be a good thing to buy, lucky for me my current TV's all support component input so I get 1080i if I want it... but I find 720P looks a bit nicer to my eyes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast