Humble's Fight for Racial Justice bundle offers $1,243 worth of games and comics for $30

NwncVau.png

Support a charity while getting tons of games to add to your library, in this latest Humble Bundle that puts the spotlight on racial justice. For $30, you can get a huge collection of games, with 100% of the cost going to charities such as the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, Race Forward, and The Bail Project. Included within the bundle are games, comics, and books, ranging from games such as Bioshock Remastered to Hyper Light Drifter, and everything in between, like The Jackbox Party Pack 4, Sonic and SEGA All Stars Racing, Broken Age, and more. There's also a variety of books focusing on race issues, protests, and civil rights. There's six days left to grab the bundle, if you're interested.

:arrow: Source

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So are you going to do it or not? It's not simply bravado, right? You can demonstrate Derek Chauvin's motive, can't you?
A simple task if only his records weren't kept so hush-hush by an institution which protects its murderers. He had 19 misconduct complaints filed against him previously, the only one of which is public is a case where he pointed his gun at a white teenager who had a Nerf toy.

Buzzfeed News said:
In an email to BuzzFeed News on Thursday, Bergh said that had he and his friends not been white, they would have “likely been shot” by the officers.

“They would have seen me as a bigger threat, they’d have said they feared for their lives and that they thought I was armed,” Bergh said. “I think Derek Chauvin intentionally escalated incidents because he enjoyed having that power over people.”
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...ek-chauvin-history-of-complaints-george-floyd

I don't know why I even bother though, just the fact that Chauvin was still on the police force after so many complaints is evidence itself of institutional racism and/or bias. There are a number of instances where black police officers were fired simply for doing the right thing in reporting white officers for abuse/brutality.

This is what makes your point of view so worthy of derision, you can't see what's right in front of your fucking face. As if nobody can possibly be racist unless they have a swastika tattoo and wave the confederate battle flag everywhere they go. The Southern Strategy was modeled around being as subtle as possible, at least up until the point when Trump came along.

Last edited by Xzi,

FGFlann

Trophies
XP
Country
bias ... right in front of your fucking face
And this is why you should never simply assume that your position is correct. You can't demonstrate it if you don't have the information. Instead you simply infer erroneously that a bad police officer had racial motivations for negligent homicide and claim it to be the truth. All the screeching in the world won't grant you clairvoyance.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
And this is why you should never simply assume that your position is correct. You can't demonstrate it if you don't have the information. Instead you simply infer erroneously that a bad police officer had racial motivations for negligent homicide and claim it to be the truth. All the screeching in the world won't grant you clairvoyance.
Those who don't know their history are doomed to repeat it, and you clearly don't know the first goddamn thing about this country's history with racism in policing. Or you do and choose to ignore it because it's inconvenient to your otherwise-myopic worldview.

FGFlann

Trophies
XP
Country
Those who don't know their history are doomed to repeat it, and you clearly don't know the first goddamn thing about this country's history with racism in policing. Or you do and choose to ignore it because it's inconvenient to your otherwise-myopic worldview.
It's a nice quote but it doesn't really mean anything. History is simply that and human behaviour is very hard to change even over time. When racism is the cardinal sin it is the thing you wish to affix to your enemies but that too means very little in the face of the overwhelming likelihood that Chauvin is probably just an asshole who went too far.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
When racism is the cardinal sin it is the thing you wish to affix to your enemies but that too means very little in the face of the overwhelming likelihood that Chauvin is probably just an asshole who went too far.
I can provide you any number of taped instances where police shout the N-word before beating or killing a black man. I don't know how many different ways I can say it or how many times I have to repeat it: George Floyd's murder was not an isolated incident. It was the straw that broke the camel's back, after years of upticks in police brutality which disproportionately targeted African-Americans.

FGFlann

Trophies
XP
Country
I can provide you any number of taped instances where police shout the N-word before beating or killing a black man. I don't know how many different ways I can say it or how many times I have to repeat it: George Floyd's murder was not an isolated incident. It was the straw that broke the camel's back, after years of upticks in police brutality which disproportionately targeted African-Americans.
I'm sure you could, and none of them would matter because that still doesn't prove intent. I'm sure the perps have a lot of choice words for the police as well, and they all have a grand old time saying bad words to each other before they go on to do something incredibly dumb that ends up with someone dying.

FGFlann

Trophies
XP
Country
Then there's absolutely nothing that would prove intent in your eyes. Luckily even most judges and juries aren't as biased and blind as you are.
You could absolutely prove intent to me, if you could get Chauvin to admit he went out that day looking to bag himself a Jogger. I thought the courts were stacked with the alt-right though? That is what you said, isn't it it? Haha. Okay. You keep projecting words like bias and myopia onto me while holding a single unshakeable viewpoint. The ironing is delicious.

FGFlann

Trophies
XP
Country
Finally the mask slips a bit. If you weren't such a pussy you'd just use the N-word instead, you aren't fooling anybody who's used the internet for more than a day.
Oh no, ya got me. I made fun of a forbidden word and now it's time to inscribe the scarlet letter, haha. I knew it'd get your back up, couldn't have asked for a better response.

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Well, that escalated quickly...

How about freedom from a system of law enforcement that condones and excuses extrajudicial executions? That should be a pretty low bar to clear, especially with so many corrupt cops resigning now over the prospect of facing any minor consequences for their actions. If they can't apply "protect and serve" to everybody in their communities, they've abandoned their only purpose, and I guarantee we can find a better use for all the excess funding which goes to police.
The Floyd case is one where there need to be legal consequences. (Even though he resisted arrest by refusing to go into the police car) he did not pose a threat because he was handcuffed.
I´d like to know your opinion about the recent case in Atlanta though. Was it just an African-American getting shot when he tried to buy some food - as some people say?

Last edited by UltraDolphinRevolution,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I´d like to know your opinion about the recent case in Atlanta though. Was it just an African-American getting shot when he tried to buy some food - as some people say?
It's pretty cut and dry since the whole thing was once again recorded. Brooks was clearly drunk, but he was cooperative with police until they tried to handcuff him without telling him he was under arrest or the reason why, and without reading him his Miranda rights, at which point he becomes more belligerent. He takes a taser gun from one of the officers and starts running away, takes aim back at them while continuing to run, fires and misses with it, and then in almost that same moment is shot multiple times in the back by Garrett Rolfe's service firearm. Rolfe had a partner with another taser gun right behind him while chasing Brooks, so there is no reason whatsoever Brooks needed to die in this scenario.

The only ridiculous point of contention is this: police claim tasers to be non-lethal when they use them against citizens, but suddenly those exact same tasers are considered lethal when a citizen aims one at a police officer. The same double-standard is applied to tear gas depending on whether it's police shooting canisters into a crowd of protesters, or a canister being thrown back at them. If cops want these weapons to be solidified as "deadly force" within the law, then that's a double-edged sword, as officers will need to be charged with attempted murder every time they're misused. The opposite is also true of these weapons being considered "non-lethal" by the law: no longer would officers have the option to claim they fear for their lives in scenarios where citizens are wielding tasers or tear gas against them.

As the law stands in Georgia currently, tasers are considered non-lethal, and so Rolfe was rightfully fired and charged with felony murder.

Last edited by Xzi,

FGFlann

Trophies
XP
Country
As you would expect, I take the opposing view. I also have a few corrections to make to the above assessment.

The reading of miranda rights is not required before custodial questioning begins, it is a misconception that it needs to be done upon arrest. The reason for arrest was also given, quote: "I think you've had too much to drink to be driving." Driving under the influence, even if you fall asleep half way in a Wendy's drive through, is still an offence and a public safety hazard. It also fails to mention that he caused bodily harm to the officers before stealing a weapon after being given multiple warnings to stop, leaving one of them with a concussion.

A taser does not stop being a significant threat simply because its intended use is for incapacitation, if a suspect takes a weapon that can render a police office incapacitated and successfully uses it, that suspect then has access to every item on the police officer including their standard firearm.

It is a sad state of affairs. Rayshard Brooks was given every opportunity to be cooperative, but made a series of foolish mistakes. There was justification for the shooting, and it is a travesty that this officer is being hung out to dry for political expediency.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The reading of miranda rights is not required before custodial questioning begins, it is a misconception that it needs to be done upon arrest.
Wrong. Just dead wrong. It's the most basic cornerstone of policing, and only you would take the massive leaps in logic required to defend an officer who doesn't have a grasp on the basics of his job.

Driving under the influence, even if you fall asleep half way in a Wendy's drive through, is still an offence and a public safety hazard.
A charge which never carries the death penalty, and one which would've been thrown out in court immediately due to the arrest being mishandled.

if a suspect takes a weapon that can render a police office incapacitated and successfully uses it, that suspect then has access to every item on the police officer including their standard firearm.
This is assuming the officer is flying solo, which was not the case here and should never be the case when procedures are properly followed. Stick to the reality of the situation.

There was justification for the shooting, and it is a travesty that this officer is being hung out to dry for political expediency.
Real shocker, the bootlicker continues to lick boot. Is your dad a police officer, or do you really expect all this "blue lives matter" posturing will protect you from being on the receiving end of police brutality yourself?

Last edited by Xzi,

FGFlann

Trophies
XP
Country
Wrong. Just dead wrong. It's the most basic cornerstone of policing, and only you would take the massive leaps in logic required to defend an officer who doesn't have a grasp on the basics of his job.

A charge which never carries the death penalty, and one which would've been thrown out in court immediately due to the arrest being mishandled.

This is assuming the officer is flying solo, which was not the case here and should never be the case when procedures are properly followed. Stick to the reality of the situation.

Real shocker, the bootlicker continues to lick boot. Is your dad a police officer, or do you really expect all this "blue lives matter" posturing will protect you from being on the receiving end of police brutality yourself?
Haha, it's not wrong. Miranda rights are only required to be read before custodial questioning and nothing will change that.

It wasn't mishandled at all.

Doesn't matter if they're solo or not, a threat is a threat.

Right back to the insults again, I see. Lol, hey, if I'm ever dumb enough to drive to a fast food restaurant while drunk then resist arrest, I'll let the officers know that I defended them on GBATemp and see if it helps more than punching them and stealing a taser.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: People's funny bones are the same taste indeed