Itch.io has a $5 bundle of over 1,000 indie games and content to help raise money for Palestine

itchio_6tjc.jpg

Itch.io is hosting another massive game bundle to help raise money for charity. Just like last year's Bundle for Racial Justice and Equality, this new bundle consists of 1,020 indie games, assets, soundtracks, and more for just $5, all from independent game developers banding together for the cause of Palestinian aid. Any and all money made from the bundle will go straight to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency, who has already helped over a million individuals affected by the ongoing situation in Palestine. All of the content within the bundle is DRM-free, and includes games such as Liyla and The Shadows Of War, STRAINGE, To Duel List, The Count of Monte Carlo, and many, many more. The bundle will be available until June 12th. At the time of writing, the bundle has raised nearly $120,000, with a hopeful goal of $500,000.

This is a grassroots bundle by indie devs who want to help Palestinians.

All profit from this bundle will be donated to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency. The UNRWA has provided food assistance for over one million Palestinians, and continues to do so in the territories with heavy destruction. They also provide emergency mental and physical health protection for those in the region. https://www.unrwa.org/gaza-emergency

Indie games are unique in that they can tell stories not seen in AAA or other games. We pour our life experiences into our games and share a piece of ourselves with the world. Palestinian game developers are no different in this aspect, but have the added challenges of limited access to basic services, like clean water, electricity, medical care, and food security. They live under Israeli authority that discriminates and subjugates Palestinians to the point of persecution and apartheid, simply for being Palestinian. Furthermore, they develop games without all the resources that come with being in a western hub for game development.

Palestinian game developer Rasheed Abueideh did exactly that when he made Liyla and the Shadows of War, which tells a story of a little girl who lives in Gaza during the 2014 war, in which 30% of civilian casualties were children. Liyla and the Shadows of War was showcased at IndieCade and A MAZE and earned numerous award nominations, including a win in Excellence in Storytelling at the International Mobile Gaming Awards Middle East/North Africa.

This bundle is pay-what-you-want (above $5 U.S. dollars) for Liyla and the Shadows of War, and you will receive hundreds of additional games, assets, and soundtracks graciously donated by game developers and media creators around the world for free. The bundle will run through Friday, June 11th. Together, we can raise funds for UNRWA for food and medical assistance for Palestinians AND highlight a game developer who is directly affected by the cause we are rallying behind.

:arrow: Source

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
So are you going to ignore the conversation that the comment was made in response to? Not sure if you noticed, but we had people in here front-lining for Hammas, saying that retaliation is the best form of "self-defense".

I mean, I forgive you for ignoring the walls of text and singling out the things you can easily respond to.

But please have some courtesy.
Calling humanitarian aid a terrorists act is dumb, no context will change that.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
So are you going to ignore the conversation that the comment was made in response to? Not sure if you noticed, but we had people in here front-lining for Hammas, saying that retaliation is the best form of "self-defense".

I mean, I forgive you for ignoring the walls of text and singling out the things you can easily respond to.

But please have some courtesy.
He's right. Your first comment here is this one, it's self-sufficient and ... it shows. It just shows. It IS one-sided, it's literal ethnic cleansing and people supporting that or saying that « buh duh 2 sides » are downright supporting that.

You can't defend the IDF without defending ethnic cleansing. It's THAT simple. The problem is not as complicated as some may try to make it look like. They do because they know it's pretty simple to defend the rights of any human being and seeing that Palestinians are completely defenseless, so they make things look like more complicated so the regular guy would stop thinking about that because « muh it's complicated I don't have time for this ».

Would you say that Saudi Arabia against Yemen isn't one-sided ? Because it clearly is. But I haven't seen anybody supporting Saudi Arabia's actions. Nobody in a right mind would. Well, it's pretty much the same here. You have to be a psycho to support such a thing.

Why take only the one side when we can have both, better yet make that donation for the people and not for the stupid political issue. Then again, that's not how the world works. Politics is everywhere and people have biases. Oh well.
Imaging being so out of touch you call a humanitarian crisis a « stupid political issue »
tumblr_33caa6fa2d9060d1ebf32b7f13a3bf38_59ae975d_1280.jpg
url

Last edited by LightBeam,
Reactions: Gamer90Kirby

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Enough with the political shit throwing, remember this is a thread about a game bundle.

Keep it civil, or take this to the politics section if you want to argue further.
To be fair, the original post's copied description is blatantly political regardless of whether one agrees or disagrees with it. It would be strange if it hadn't devolved into political shit-throwing with an opening prompt like that. I'd welcome more civil discourse, but I'm not sure that you CAN separate the political from the game bundle with how Itch.io chose to present things. It'd be like reporting on a game bundle designed to support [insert controversial politican here] and then being surprised when the discussion devolved into arguing about [insert controversial politician here].

Last edited by ChaosEternal,

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's funny how narcissists can't even wrap their heads around the notion that people are capable of empathy for others just because they aren't. SAD!
I honestly disagree with this. I'm not picking a side here, as I'm unaware which side, if either, are in the right. I feel sad for the victims (which there seems to actually be on both sides), but your post is about as disingenuous as it gets.

"people are capable of empathy for others"

His point he was making is, far as I could comprehend, where was this empathy* before hand? They didn't care until the incidents began hitting global attention recently. If people legitimately cared about the situation over there, it wouldn't take a bombing or whatever to want to send aide. That isn't empathy, it's closer to pity. And in a year, where would those people's empathy be? Would they still be donating to individuals terrorized by the Israeli side, considering this is for the Palestinian side?

The fact is, this isn't true empathy. Empathy means to understand how they feel, comprehend their suffering, to know what they're going through. Do you live in that area? Do you know what it's like to have two warring cultures blowing up buildings and having gunfights over a religious conflict? Do you know anything about their situation?

The harsh reality is at best we are seeing is pity. And we only care because we have strong feelings because of their suffering. All you're doing is putting a band aide on and leaving them alone to suffer again.

* - This * is to relate to Xzi calling it 'empathy'. I honestly view it more as pity instead.

To be fair, the original post's copied description is blatantly political regardless of whether one agrees or disagrees with it. It would be strange if it hadn't devolved into political shit-throwing with an opening prompt like that. I'd welcome more civil discourse, but I'm not sure that you CAN separate the political from the game bundle with how Itch.io chose to present things. It'd be like reporting on a game bundle designed to support [insert controversial politican here] and then being surprised when the discussion devolved into arguing about [insert controversial politician here].

Agreed with this. This whole situation's inherently political, maybe not American-political, but definitely middle-eastern political. By simply picking a side, the whole situation becomes political. I understand your intent Issac, but it comes off as hollow and would silence the opposing political opinion (the Israeli) from what this bundle is meant to support. THAT is arguably political in itself and comes off hypocritical.

Last edited by VartioArtel,

Brighton

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
View attachment 265818 That's a good move, people finally are opening their eyes about what's really happening there:

As a non Jew living in Israel I can honestly tell you that I can:

Go to any city within Israel (Jews however are not allowed in area A of the West Bank)

Ride any bus within Israel and eat at any restaurant

Reside in any house (assuming I pay the rent)

My children can go to school with other Arabs or religious Jews if that’s what I choose

However I do believe there’s some way to tell from my ID that I’m not Jewish, but nobody gives a shit. Half the security that would ever actually see my ID anyway are Arabs.

There is plenty to criticise about Israel, so you really don’t need to make shit up!

Reactions: zfreeman

realtimesave

///AMG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Go to any city within Israel (Jews however are not allowed in area A of the West Bank)

My children can go to school with other Arabs or religious Jews if that’s what I choose

However I do believe there’s some way to tell from my ID that I’m not Jewish, but nobody gives a shit. Half the security that would ever actually see my ID anyway are Arabs.

There is plenty to criticise about Israel, so you really don’t need to make shit up!

Arabs in the states have impressed me as privileged trolls. Last one I came across was disrespecting me over European languages, considering Arabic to be superior to all which it is not. No language is superior to one another. Plus Arabic is akin to German, in the respect that there's a lot of I dunno how to express it here but spittle / slurring in it. Pretty much, I prefer any language other than those due to that. lol. Plus I don't go out of my way disrespecting other cultures face to face. I'm not sure why they go and do that, maybe they've been shit on too much and are just acting out.

Brighton

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
ok 1929 jews were slay by nazi, palestine welcome them with open hand even give them land to live in. Then parasite come in establish state of israel which come from the name of muslim ruler then event trying to take over palestine just for destruction of single mosque in palestine.

Jews killed in the Hebron massacre were killed in Hebron in the West Bank by Arabs, not Nazis. Those Jews had lived in the area for centuries. Many other Jews were saved at that time by other Arabs.

Not all Arabs are bad, but Hammas are mobsters in it for the money. Read about how they took control of the Gaza Strip and what they did to other Palestinians.

Reactions: zfreeman

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
His point he was making is, far as I could comprehend, where was this empathy* before hand? They didn't care until the incidents began hitting global attention recently.
Things had been relatively peaceful for the last half decade or so, otherwise of course there would've been more protests and collective empathy going out to the victims. It was only recently that Israel started up with the forced evictions and theft of property again, so it's only recently that rockets and missiles have been flying back and forth again. I'm not sure how or why you expected people to react to events that hadn't happened yet.

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just gonna say this right now, I mean I don't think the mods intended this to become political when they posted it but I'm somewhat surprised it wasn't aforethought at least. From what iv'e seen so far it doesn't seem like civic political talk.

HideoKojima

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Are you an Arab? The Australian journalist clearly says that there's an apartheid system against the Arabs. I have many Arab friends and they confirmed what he said of course things may have changed but the apartheid system is still there. Now if you're white or non Arab then how the fuck can you say there's no discrimination? What you're saying is similar to saying that you're Asian and there's no discrimination in the U.S. while we are actually talking about discrimination against black people. So before saying I'm making up shit, try to at least read what I'm saying.

Reactions: Gamer90Kirby

Brighton

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Are you an Arab? The Australian journalist clearly says that there's an apartheid system against the Arabs. I have many Arab friends and they confirmed what he said of course things may have changed but the apartheid system is still there. Now if you're white or non Arab then how the fuck can you say there's no discrimination? What you're saying is similar to saying that you're Asian and there's no discrimination in the U.S. while we are actually talking about discrimination against black people. So before saying I'm making up shit, try to at least read what I'm saying.

You have Arab Israeli friends that say there’s an apartheid? They ride on separate buses and eat in separate restaurants? That’s simply untrue. Or are you talking about Gazans or people from the West Bank?

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm just gonna say this right now, I mean I don't think the mods intended this to become political when they posted it but I'm somewhat surprised it wasn't aforethought at least. From what iv'e seen so far it doesn't seem like civic political talk.
I was wary to cover last year's racial justice bundle from Itch.io because of this exact problem. Personally, looking back, I regret it, but it also would have caused a lot of trolls to pop up and make pages of mess. I'm pretty sure I covered a Humble racial justice bundle later on and was not surprised to find it devolved quickly iirc. Regardless of what your political take is, there's a bunch of games available for cheap, and that's the main focus here. If you want to support it, you can. If you want low price indie titles, you can get them. If you don't support the cause or want the games, that's cool too. But it's always touchy covering these sorts of topics because they're bound to wind up as angry political mud slinging fights.

Gamer90Kirby

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
What does that matter? People are dying by the hundreds there at protests. A state sponsored ethnic genocide has been ongoing for a few years now. A muslim ethnic group which is routinely discriminated against and denied citizenship. (Sound familiar?) So basically, as long as major world powers aren't too openly supportive of them, genocide and apartheid are fine?

Never said it was fine. I was just answering why the Palestinian cause is getting more coverage than other cases of Islamophobia.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Arabs in the states have impressed me as privileged trolls. Last one I came across was disrespecting me over European languages, considering Arabic to be superior to all which it is not. No language is superior to one another. Plus Arabic is akin to German, in the respect that there's a lot of I dunno how to express it here but spittle / slurring in it. Pretty much, I prefer any language other than those due to that. lol. Plus I don't go out of my way disrespecting other cultures face to face. I'm not sure why they go and do that, maybe they've been shit on too much and are just acting out.

If we're making generalizations of nations based on single encounters then Americans come off to me as obese, uneducated, poor, healthcare-lacking, brainwashed tax fodder.

Clearly I'm being sarcastic but you get the point.

Oh and in case you still think Zionists are the victims here, enjoy this post from the front page of Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFrea.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

realtimesave

///AMG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never said it was fine. I was just answering why the Palestinian cause is getting more coverage than other cases of Islamophobia.

If we're making generalizations of nations based on single encounters then Americans come off to me as obese, uneducated, poor, healthcare-lacking, brainwashed tax fodder.

Clearly I'm being sarcastic but you get the point.

Oh and in case you still think Zionists are the victims here, enjoy this post from the front page of Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFrea.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

healthcare lacking, my ass. even when I had no job I still had healthcare through the state and through the fed.
I'm fat.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on