Gaming How to Update a Region Free 3DS title

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed that one game I have, super mario maker 3d, has an update available based on the little notification over the banner. however, the game is region free. I know it's the usa version, so I downloaded the usa version of the update. I think it was 1.05. it seems to have updated, since the notification is now gone. however, in fbi, the titles' list has two super mario makers listed. both have the same content id except for one spot that has an E. one says North America (the update) and the other says Region Free. did I do this correctly? why is it listed twice? the four digit title id is the same, but the characters that come before it are slightly different. I think it's because the update is not region free, but are updates ever region free? I've updated region free titles before, if they were the same region, by clicking on the update option when entering the game. however, super mario maker 3d gave an error. I'm not sure if the server with that update is still online.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay, I think this might be correct. I saw several other games with multiple entries, so it must list games, dlc, and title updates separately. as long as the update nag is gone, I guess it did in fact work.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I noticed that one game I have, super mario maker 3d, has an update available based on the little notification over the banner. however, the game is region free. I know it's the usa version, so I downloaded the usa version of the update. I think it was 1.05. it seems to have updated, since the notification is now gone. however, in fbi, the titles' list has two super mario makers listed. both have the same content id except for one spot that has an E. one says North America (the update) and the other says Region Free. did I do this correctly? why is it listed twice? the four digit title id is the same, but the characters that come before it are slightly different. I think it's because the update is not region free, but are updates ever region free? I've updated region free titles before, if they were the same region, by clicking on the update option when entering the game. however, super mario maker 3d gave an error. I'm not sure if the server with that update is still online.
Yes, that's normal. Updates always end in E.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@The Real Jdbye , is it normal to have a region free game, then an update that's not region free? What's even the point in making a game region free other than just adding to confusion?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
@The Real Jdbye , is it normal to have a region free game, then an update that's not region free? What's even the point in making a game region free other than just adding to confusion?
It's not normal for 3DS titles to be region free. There are only a few that I know of and most of them are Pokemon games. And all of those have region free updates, so I guess it's not normal. On the Switch, most titles are region free or cross US/EU, as are the updates.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, this is a game I downloaded. someone made it region free, and it seems like most games available online are that way as well. however, I don't know if I've ever seen a region free update. I was unable to find a North American version of super mario maker. all of the ones I found were region free versions of the game, so I don't understand why someone would make it region free if the region where it came from still required an update from that region.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I may be stuck with the region free Super Mario Maker 3D, because usually there's only one or two copies of a game circling the internet. if someone chose to make it region free before uploading, I kinda have no choice. I think updates are not region free, because the update has to match the original region of the game, which makes me not understand the point of a region free game. I mean isn't the system already region free once hacked? anyway, I think they're tied by the first 4 bytes of the title id (8 characters) like the wii u (00050000 for games, 0005000e for updates, and 0005000c for dlc). then, the second 4 bytes is the actual title id, which I think is tied to a second title id in ascii (the four digit alphanumeric). I noticed something like this with wii games I believe. I think that's why games technically have two titles ids.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1