Tutorial  Updated

How to skip the "Connect Joycons" system init screen

I've seen this asked a lot over the years and since someone asked it today and I recently mapped out all the Settings saves, I decided to test my theory that the answer was there. It was.

Use case: You are stuck at the system initialize screen with the 'connect joycons' animation but you don't have joycons or one or both rails is broken.

TL;DR for those who already know how to edit system saves: Dump the SystemSettings save 8000000000000050, change the byte at offset 0x29484 from 0 to 1, repack, sign and replace the save.

Tools required:
  • hactoolnet (fire up your command line skills)
  • Lockpick_RCM (if you have an existing dump from this console a fresh dump is not required)
  • TegraExplorer (if you're familiar with HacDiskMount you can use that instead)
  • HxD (or hex editor of choice, this one is just free, lightweight, capable, and ad-free)
Steps:
  1. Use Hekate/Nyx and make a full Raw EMMC backup if you never have! This is the first rule of any hacking endeavor.
  2. If you don't have a key file, use Lockpick_RCM to dump keys from either sysnand or emunand, it doesn't matter which for this purpose. This will dump the key file to SD in /switch/prod.keys.
  3. Reboot to RCM if needed and push the TegraExplorer payload.
  4. Use the Volume keys to navigate to and select either [SYSTEM:/] EMMC (for sysnand) or [SYSTEM:/] EMUMMC (for emunand).
  5. Acknowledge the warning regarding modifying your system NAND and breathe easy since you made a backup, right? RIGHT? Please go back and do that if you haven't. Press Power to continue.
  6. Select save (this might take a minute to load if using file-based emunand).
  7. Select 8000000000000050, then select Copy to clipboard.
  8. Navigate back to the main menu by selecting Folder -> previous folder twice.
  9. Select [SD:/] SD CARD.
  10. Select Clipboard -> Current folder and wait for the copy to complete.
  11. Navigate back to the main menu by selecting Folder -> previous folder.
  12. Select Exit then either reboot to RCM or power off.
  13. Mount the SD card on your computer either using a card reader or by pushing the Memloader payload (this is always recommended to reduce stress on the SD reader connector component).
  14. Open a command prompt (eg. press Win+R and type cmd then press Return).
  15. Navigate to where you unzipped hactoolnet or drag the executable onto the command prompt window (this is a handy trick that makes the next few steps easier; Windows automatically enters the whole path to whatever you drop on it).
  16. I don't know what drive letter you mounted your SD as, but you do! So I'm going to pretend it's Z: but if it's something else, use that instead.
  17. [Note: if the console is Mariko (red-box, new/chipped or Switch Lite) you may need to edit prod.keys by changing "save_mac_key" to "save_mac_key_00" if you get an error like "Unable to sign save file."] If you dragged hactoolnet into the window, you'll have c:\whatever\hactoolnet.exe already populated, so after that, type a space then -t save -k z:\switch\prod.keys z:\8000000000000050 --outdir z:\syssave so your whole command should look like:
    Code:
    c:\whatever\hactoolnet.exe -t save -k z:\switch\prod.keys z:\8000000000000050 --outdir z:\syssave
    Again, please edit this so it matches your own path to hactoolnet and SD mount point.
  18. Open z:\syssave\file in HxD.
  19. Press Ctrl+G to open the Go to Offset dialogue, and type in the number 29484 then select OK. The cursor should be hovering over a byte that reads 00.
  20. Type 01 then press Ctrl+S to Save.
  21. Go back to your command prompt and similarly enter c:\whatever\hactoolnet.exe -t save -k z:\switch\prod.keys z:\8000000000000050 --replacefile file z:\syssave\file. Verify that hactoolnet prints:
    Code:
    Replaced file /file
    Successfully signed save file with key <key>
  22. Eject the SD from the computer, reinsert into console, however you did it, get back to RCM with the SD inserted and inject TegraExplorer.
  23. Select [SD:/] SD CARD.
  24. Select 8000000000000050, then select Copy to clipboard.
  25. Navigate back to the main menu by selecting Folder -> previous folder.
  26. Use the Volume keys to navigate to and select either [SYSTEM:/] EMMC (for sysnand) or [SYSTEM:/] EMUMMC (for emunand), making the same choice as in Step 4.
  27. Acknowledge the warning, press Power to continue.
  28. Select save (as before, this might take a minute to load if using file-based emunand).
  29. Select 8000000000000050, then select Delete file.
  30. Acknowledge the warning, press Power to delete, wait for completion.
  31. Select Clipboard -> Current folder and wait for the copy to complete.
  32. Navigate back to the main menu by selecting Folder -> previous folder twice.
  33. Select Exit then do whatever you need to do to reboot, with or without CFW.
  34. You're done! Instead of the joycon connect animation you should get a screen asking you to accept the Eula then reboot, after which you should be in the OS!

Last edited by shchmue, , Reason: clarify step 4 & 26

TherealMadao

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm stuck in tegraexplorer : an error occured
err 1
line 80
file source storage mountmanager.c
description: i/0 error

Edit: using an older version of tegraexplorer i was able to save the file

Last edited by TherealMadao,

TherealMadao

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm stuck at this point. I don't see "save" anywhere, but I see "safe" and it's apparently empty.

View attachment 224480

EDIT: Figured it out, for some reason the OP omitted some extra steps (or maybe this is on a more recent firmware and it's layout is different?). No idea. But now I'm stuck, again.
Edit 2: SOLVED. even if in cmd you see failures just goo on. It will work

Not sure if that's a success or if I should start over? It's weird, because just before attempting this again, I made a fresh MMC raw dump as well as dumped my keys. And I have the sept folder, as well as the Hekate/AMS files present.
How did you solve this?

Last edited by TherealMadao,

Xodass

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all. i basically fucked up. I was reading the guide from an external website and i had missed one crucial step to copy the modified 8000050 file into the backup and now im getting a black screen on boot. Any troubleshooting for this issue or have i lost all hope?

EDIT : for someone as dumb as me that did this.
Fix : make sure you are plugged in via usb c
hard reset by holding the power button for 20 seconds
then enter rcm mode and it works.....

Last edited by Xodass,

nohg2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need help. I am stuck on the switch controller set up screen and cannot get passed this. Please help

Sol VanHeart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • Use the Volume keys to navigate to and select either [SYSTEM:/] EMMC (for sysnand) or [SYSTEM:/] EMUMMC (for emunand).
  • Acknowledge the warning regarding modifying your system NAND and breathe easy since you made a backup, right? RIGHT? Please go back and do that if you haven't. Press Power to continue.
  • Select save (this might take a minute to load if using file-based emunand).
  • Select 8000000000000050, then select Copy to clipboard.

Is there an updated version to this step? Current Tegraexplorer don't have [SYSTEM:/] EMMC. I have no idea where to find 8000000000000050

Update:
Found it

Browse EMMC > SYSTEM > save > 8000000000000050

Last edited by Sol VanHeart,

enderer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does this work for a game requiring controller connection?

i'm trying to play clubhouse games 51 without a controller connected.

even though the game allows 'play with touch,' it still requires a controller be connected

WayOfTheRoad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does this work for a game requiring controller connection?

i'm trying to play clubhouse games 51 without a controller connected.

even though the game allows 'play with touch,' it still requires a controller be connected

This is just to skip the prompt you get after a factory reset (or very first boot) of the Switch to insert joycons.

It will not let you proceed without them and many don't have them at all.

AFAIK, this only patches that check so we can bypass it without having joycons. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone reported a ban after using this? I don't own a right Joy-Con, so I'm hoping this is sufficient. Seems as if this skips the entire setup process.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: