How to play GameCube games off a USB HDD.

Welcome to my guide! This will teach you to "backup" your games that you TOTALLY legally own. Right?
This guide is completely compatible with Windows, Mac (Wine), and Linux (Wine). I do not have access to an Apple machine, but theoretically, it should work. Please note that this guide requires you to format your HDD, however you can still use it for storage after we're done, so just back it up before we begin.

NOTE BY A MODERATOR :

There are different methods to play Gamecube games off a USB HDD, and this outdated guide will only tell you ONE method.
It will not explain to you how to run gamecube games from USB HDD, but instead will tell you to do things blindly and install specific outdated files and use a specific outdated USB Loader version.
It doesn't cover other USB HDD methods or other Gamecube loaders.
Don't follow this guide if you want updated informations, updated loaders or if you want to use a different gamecube loading method.

You can follow it only if you want DIOS MIOS 2.8 (outdated) and CFG Loader v70 r36 (outdated).
Thanks for reading,
Cyan

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will need:
-An SD Card
-A USB HDD
-Wii Mote
-GameCube Controller
-A Wii with Homebrew Channel installed
-A GameCube iso

Download Links:

COMPUTER:

1.) Download WiiFlow from the Download List above. Put it in the apps folder of your SD Card.

2.) Download the DIOS MIOS v2.8 RAR. Go to 'DM', then move 'DIOSMIOS_2.8' to the root folder of your SD card, or for easier installation put it in a folder on the root titled 'wad'.

3.) Download MMM, and put it in your apps folder.

4.) In the DM folder in the RAR, there will be a file named DMToolbox.exe, run it, select your games iso file, and choose where you want the game's folder to go (Desktop will do.). Hit 'Install', and the folder will appear where you wanted it to, it will be named the game's ID, which will, to you, appear to be a bunch of random characters.

5.) Download and Install EaseUS Partition master, and open it. Find your HDD, and right click it, and select 'format'. Format it as FAT32 with 32KB Clusters. *DON'T IGNORE! Press OK, and then "Apply".

6.) Look at your empty HDD, and make a 'games' folder. Put the folder with the Game ID in there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WII:

1.) Plug in your HDD in USB Slot 0. Turn on your Wii. Launch Homebrew Channel. Then launch MMM.

2.) Choose WAD Manager on the menu and install DIOSMIOS_2.8.wad

3.) After you're done, exit MMM. Launch WiiFlow.

4.) Go to Settings, and change game partition to USB1

5.) Press 'B', and select the Gamecube icon

7.) Choose a game and press Start. Every time you add new games, you have to hit the home icon, and hit update cache, and your game list will refresh.

Congratulations! You can now play GC games from your USB HDD!

CFG USB LOADERv70 r36:

COMPUTER:
Follow steps 3-7 in the COMPUTER guide above.

WII:

1.) Follow step 3 in the guide above.
2.) Install DIOS MIOS using MMM.
3.) Launch CFG USB Loader.
4.) Click the icon with tools on it
5.) Set "DML Version" to DM.
6.) Launch your game!

un4gettable47

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But it would have to be step by step for noobies like me :)

Everything you could ever need is the OP's post, and the second post on page 22 made by me. Really... You just have to use your brain XD. I suggest you use the microwavesam youtube videos I embedded in my post. Do what he says, and switch out his old version loaders for newer versions, some are wads, but most just folders. simple plan.

un4gettable47

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay so do I start with his post or do I start on ur post on page 22? Sorry I'm new to this

read them both, if you have not softmoded your wii yet, then you will need a video that I embedded for you first. I cannot say which one you should start with, it depends on where your at.

un4gettable47

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay so do I start with his post or do I start on ur post on page 22? Sorry I'm new to this

My post is a real mess, I don't know if anyone would be able to follow and understand it properly now that i truly think about it (especially if you are a noob as you say). I was in a hurry XD. I may put together a proper post in due time.

You can try to use it for help, there is definitely some things in it that you can use. And everything that I say will work if done as I/others say. Post here later and tell if you were able to get it working.

MrAmg128

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having a problem with Formating my Usb HDD on the Ease Us Partition Master. I am able to make the file system FAT 32, but the program will only let me go up to a 16 kb cluster size. Would this make a difference? Also, there is a file system option for FAT, which lets you use 32 kb cluster size as well as a 64 kb cluster size, am I able to use FAT?

un4gettable47

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm having a problem with Formating my Usb HDD on the Ease Us Partition Master. I am able to make the file system FAT 32, but the program will only let me go up to a 16 kb cluster size. Would this make a difference? Also, there is a file system option for FAT, which lets you use 32 kb cluster size as well as a 64 kb cluster size, am I able to use FAT?

Wii and GameCube games will both run off 32KB cluster, you don't need 64KB cluster. I don't know why 32KB cluster would not be an option, maybe it's because of the type of hard drive you have? Try and follow the instructions exactly from the OP, or you can use a TuT I made that is linked in the above post. Do you have the latest EaseUS: http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/ Try a pen drive or another HDD to see if Fat32/32KB clusters is an available option, but don't go through with it if you don't want to use this device (if you do it will delete anything on the drive as you should know). If 32KB clusters is not available for your other device also, then it is also incompatible, or something is up (I don't know if a HDD can be incompatible to be formatted to Fat32/32KB clusters). Make sure your clicking the "down arrow" for Cluster Size: to see drop down box for available cluster size options? You can also use my TuT if you need any other help.

zTxCrash

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thnx a lot un4gettable I will definitely be trying this ASAP unfortunately it's finals time this week so video games will have to wait but I will def give it a go :)

Silithas

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't understand? Holy crap don't do that.

what I would do:

For the Wii: you will need a simple 2gb SD card + a 500GB HDD with it's own power supply (plus a soft-moded Wii) . Even if a MASSIVE/EXPENSIVE sd card worked in the Wii (in which I don't know), games would not run as fast and or properly on an SD card yet (prolly ever).

For the 3DS: an acekard 2i to play ds games + the new gateway flashcart that can play 3ds games + two micro sd's (usb and or sd adapter) possible size restrictions on micro sd's (a 3ds not updated past a certain version possibly).

And whatever you are planning with the android and nvidia shield, I would guess that it is also a bust.

DO NOT BUY THESE MASSIVE SD CARDS, $30-$150 price range depending on size...noooooo no no

Read my post above and the Original Post for help softmodding your Wii

Alright,i will atleast get 32gb sdcard class 4 or something for the wii for emu's and such. But untill i get my 32gb for the wii, how can i play gamecube games from the external hdd? Cause currently now i got fat32 with 32kb clusters on a 2'nd partition, but the games wont launch at all, even with dios mios.. Cause the only games i want for gamecube is wind waker and twilight princess.

And since i can't get the games to run from the ext-hdd, is there a way to run the games from a burned disk? Or is this not possible?

Silithas

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't understand? Holy crap don't do that.

what I would do:

For the Wii: you will need a simple 2gb SD card + a 500GB HDD with it's own power supply (plus a soft-moded Wii) . Even if a MASSIVE/EXPENSIVE sd card worked in the Wii (in which I don't know), games would not run as fast and or properly on an SD card yet (prolly ever).

For the 3DS: an acekard 2i to play ds games + the new gateway flashcart that can play 3ds games + two micro sd's (usb and or sd adapter) possible size restrictions on micro sd's (a 3ds not updated past a certain version possibly).

And whatever you are planning with the android and nvidia shield, I would guess that it is also a bust.

DO NOT BUY THESE MASSIVE SD CARDS, $30-$150 price range depending on size...noooooo no no

Read my post above and the Original Post for help softmodding your Wii

Alright,i will atleast get 32gb sdcard class 4 or something for the wii for emu's and such. But untill i get my 32gb for the wii, how can i play gamecube games from the external hdd? Cause currently now i got fat32 with 32kb clusters on a 2'nd partition, but the games wont launch at all, even with dios mios.. Cause the only games i want for gamecube is wind waker and twilight princess.

And since i can't get the games to run from the ext-hdd, is there a way to run the games from a burned disk? Or is this not possible?

un4gettable47

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Here, ask the people on this forum: Tell them your situation and that you want to play GC/Wii games off of HDD, they will help (don't do anything else until you have gotten feedback from them, they will advise you what to do). http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-guides-tutorials-only/96886-guide-softmod-any-wii.html

And again, do not get that 32GB SD Card for the Wii, it's best to play games off of HDD. You have to install the same things to get games working off of a SD Card, the only difference would be that you would use Dios Mios lite for SD cards. It's not just Dios Mios, there is alot more to it than that. You can ask about burnt games too (you have to have the old model white wii to be able to play burnt disks).

And again, I don't know if the Wii supports massive SD cards. Just get a 2GB sandisk SD Card. You will load you install files (wads)/apps onto this small SD Card, but the games will be stored an played off of the HDD. The SD Card has it's role, and the HDD has its role also. Understand...

yasaki

Trophies
XP
Country
another beginner with question here :moogle: i lost my sd card last week after a year i bought my wii from friend when i bought it was already modded so i dont know what should i do with panic!! after a search find here and it says i can play gamecube games too :grog: i buy new sd today but really dont know what should i do or where should i start after that... have a hdd with some games at least i hope it works fine if i can manage to install sd :hateit: umm so question is where should i do for both wii and gamecube?_?

Aractus

Trophies
Website
blog.aractus.com
XP
Country
What loader were you using? Make a folder called "apps" on your SD cad, then put the loader you use in the apps folder (in its own folder). This folder structure is usually already present when you download the loader. For instance \apps\usbloader_cfg\ or \apps\wiiflow\ etc. Also get syscheck from here and also put it in apps. Run syscheck (from homebrew channel) and then open the sysCheck.csv file (on your SD card) with wordpad (not notepad), and copy/paste the contents here, it will let us know if your system is up to date - IOS58, etc. Good luck!

Harx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I put some games on my HD to check if dios mios worked, it does, so I put the rest of my back up games on, but Wiiflow wont show the new games. What do I do?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I put some games on my HD to check if dios mios worked, it does, so I put the rest of my back up games on, but Wiiflow wont show the new games. What do I do?
On WiiFlow, in order to make new games show up you need to press the home button and then the "reload cache" button for it to update the list of installed games.

discoducknc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried your process with a 4 gb flash drive and it works fine but I can't get it to work on my toshiba 500 gb external hd. Any ideas?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol