How to play GameCube games off a USB HDD.

Welcome to my guide! This will teach you to "backup" your games that you TOTALLY legally own. Right?
This guide is completely compatible with Windows, Mac (Wine), and Linux (Wine). I do not have access to an Apple machine, but theoretically, it should work. Please note that this guide requires you to format your HDD, however you can still use it for storage after we're done, so just back it up before we begin.

NOTE BY A MODERATOR :

There are different methods to play Gamecube games off a USB HDD, and this outdated guide will only tell you ONE method.
It will not explain to you how to run gamecube games from USB HDD, but instead will tell you to do things blindly and install specific outdated files and use a specific outdated USB Loader version.
It doesn't cover other USB HDD methods or other Gamecube loaders.
Don't follow this guide if you want updated informations, updated loaders or if you want to use a different gamecube loading method.

You can follow it only if you want DIOS MIOS 2.8 (outdated) and CFG Loader v70 r36 (outdated).
Thanks for reading,
Cyan

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will need:
-An SD Card
-A USB HDD
-Wii Mote
-GameCube Controller
-A Wii with Homebrew Channel installed
-A GameCube iso

Download Links:

COMPUTER:

1.) Download WiiFlow from the Download List above. Put it in the apps folder of your SD Card.

2.) Download the DIOS MIOS v2.8 RAR. Go to 'DM', then move 'DIOSMIOS_2.8' to the root folder of your SD card, or for easier installation put it in a folder on the root titled 'wad'.

3.) Download MMM, and put it in your apps folder.

4.) In the DM folder in the RAR, there will be a file named DMToolbox.exe, run it, select your games iso file, and choose where you want the game's folder to go (Desktop will do.). Hit 'Install', and the folder will appear where you wanted it to, it will be named the game's ID, which will, to you, appear to be a bunch of random characters.

5.) Download and Install EaseUS Partition master, and open it. Find your HDD, and right click it, and select 'format'. Format it as FAT32 with 32KB Clusters. *DON'T IGNORE! Press OK, and then "Apply".

6.) Look at your empty HDD, and make a 'games' folder. Put the folder with the Game ID in there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WII:

1.) Plug in your HDD in USB Slot 0. Turn on your Wii. Launch Homebrew Channel. Then launch MMM.

2.) Choose WAD Manager on the menu and install DIOSMIOS_2.8.wad

3.) After you're done, exit MMM. Launch WiiFlow.

4.) Go to Settings, and change game partition to USB1

5.) Press 'B', and select the Gamecube icon

7.) Choose a game and press Start. Every time you add new games, you have to hit the home icon, and hit update cache, and your game list will refresh.

Congratulations! You can now play GC games from your USB HDD!

CFG USB LOADERv70 r36:

COMPUTER:
Follow steps 3-7 in the COMPUTER guide above.

WII:

1.) Follow step 3 in the guide above.
2.) Install DIOS MIOS using MMM.
3.) Launch CFG USB Loader.
4.) Click the icon with tools on it
5.) Set "DML Version" to DM.
6.) Launch your game!

Zaertix

One Stop Nintendo Shop on Mixer!
Trophies
Website
mixer.com
XP
Country
United States
Alright, maybe I can ask here and get an answer..
I have an old Pelican third-party controller. It doesn't seem to work when I load the game. Do I NEED a first party controller?

No. I've been playing games with a cheap third party controller.

Hm for some reason, when I go to test most of the buttons (I have a press indicator on the controller) nothing lights up. Just the start button, and even on the Main Menu of most games, it doesn't load up. Odd.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old Pelican third-party controller. It doesn't seem to work when I load the game. Do I NEED a first party controller?

Hm for some reason, when I go to test most of the buttons (I have a press indicator on the controller) nothing lights up. Just the start button, and even on the Main Menu of most games, it doesn't load up. Odd.

I read something about the controller locking up on games in the Dios Mios (lite) thread. So I'd suggest reading about that there.

Zaertix

Trophies
Website
mixer.com
XP
Country
United States

I read something about the controller locking up on games in the Dios Mios (lite) thread. So I'd suggest reading about that there.

Yeah to boot a retail Gamecube game would mean reverting and I have no idea how to do so lol. I tried installing DML and loading a GC retail and it did nothing but load up some random GC loader screen.

kingdomhearts17

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
i am still not having any luck in getting gamecube games to work on usb now when i run a gamecube game it restarts to wii channel used both USB Loader GX and Configurable USB loader but no use . I tried to run them on disc they work fine

this is my wii and hard drive details :

WII - Firmware 3.2 U
Hard Drive : 500 GB Simple Tech - NTFS Format Used to run WII Games
CMIOS Latest one
CIOS V8 All IOS installed to latest

bleucheese7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have 3 partitions on my hard drive, maybe that's the problem. WBFS, Fat32, and NFTS. The iso is in the FAT32 with 32kb clusters. I have read that the FAT32 partition has to be "first", is there an easy way to change that? I might give that a shot.

Not at the moment.
But from what I know that is in fakt the problem.

I was working on something but there does not seem to be to much interest in it.
See http://gbatemp.net/t...n-a-faster-way/
Might pick it up later this week if there is interest and Im bored.

Actually, there does seem to be an easy way. I was able to fix my problem by changing which partition is primary and which partitions are logical. I was able to use EaseUS to convert my Gamecube game partition to primary and my other two partitions, including my Wii game partition, to logical. I've tested it once, but both gamecube and wii games seem to be working. Hope this helps.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Yeah to boot a retail Gamecube game would mean reverting and I have no idea how to do so lol. I tried installing DML and loading a GC retail and it did nothing but load up some random GC loader screen.
Actually, the latest version of Dios Mios can run retail disks will still let you run retail disks through the disk channel. That way you wouldn't have to revert. I think that's the way the guy on the other thread did it when he got it working, anyway.
You can get the download here.
http://code.google.com/p/diosmios/downloads/list

Zaertix

Trophies
Website
mixer.com
XP
Country
United States
Actually, the latest version of Dios Mios can run retail disks will still let you run retail disks through the disk channel. That way you wouldn't have to revert. I think that's the way the guy on the other thread did it when he got it working, anyway.
You can get the download here.
http://code.google.c.../downloads/list

I've downloaded that WAD and installed it via MMM and I still get the DIOS MIOS set up with the launching off of disc channel. It even asks if it wants to be switched to progressive scan. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
How do you play multi-disc games like Resident Evil where you need to do a disc swap?
You can only play the ones that let you save before you switch disks because you have to power down and start from the second disk directly. There's no way to switch disks.
The only other option is to use something like Dolphin or Swiss that can switch disks to get your save through the disk switch.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You can only play the ones that let you save before you switch disks because you have to power down and start from the second disk directly. There's no way to switch disks.
The only other option is to use something like Dolphin or Swiss that can switch disks to get your save through the disk switch.
Does disk swap work when using DM and the actual disc?
Lack of NMM would still be a bummer but at least it would be easy to do.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Does disk swap work when using DM and the actual disc?
Lack of NMM would still be a bummer but at least it would be easy to do.
Yeah, I think it should work with real disks, at least from the disk channel. You can also run real disks from a loader, too. I'm not sure if THEY can enable NMM for you or not. It would kind of defeat the point of having the game saved right up to the disk switch point on NMM if you couldn't get use that save on Dolphin, Swiss, Devolution (which also can do the switch now) or a real disk when you do the actual switch.

EDIT : Okay, I read something official now. NMM doesn't work with retail disks.

manateeman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe someone can help me, i followed all the steps and can attempt to launch a gc game from usb. i get a dios mios screen then it flashes green and plays the game in the drive, no matter what i choose.
If there's no disc in the drive or a wii disk it says something about apploader size being 0
all default settings, usb loader gx, old version of wii. cIOS 249. i have no idea what it could be

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Maybe someone can help me, i followed all the steps and can attempt to launch a gc game from usb. i get a dios mios screen then it flashes green and plays the game in the drive, no matter what i choose.
If there's no disc in the drive or a wii disk it says something about apploader size being 0
all default settings, usb loader gx, old version of wii. cIOS 249. i have no idea what it could be
Try UN-installing the WAD and then RE-installing it. That may help.

manateeman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try UN-installing the WAD and then RE-installing it. That may help.

tried uninstalling with MMM, was unsuccessful. reinstalled with still no luck. maybe if i could find another mios to install, it would overwrite DM and i could reinstall from there? Honestly I don't know what i'm talking about, and even if this would work wether or not it would fix the problem or just cause more

manateeman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so when i install an ios (249) it overwrites the mios? i thought they were seperate things and i was using both. i'll try installing 249 and then dios mios, then have it a go

thank so much for your help and quick responses too, i really appreciate it

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
so when i install an ios (249) it overwrites the mios? i thought they were seperate things and i was using both. i'll try installing 249 and then dios mios, then have it a go

thank so much for your help and quick responses too, i really appreciate it
Sorry, actually, what I meant was tell MMM to load a 249 that you already have installed. When it's running under 249 it will have permission to uninstall the Dios Mios WAD.
THEN you can install the WAD again.

manateeman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
uninstalled and reinstalled dios mios. same thing, green screen to disk when gc disk is in and apploader size is zero when wii or no disk is in

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission