Hacking How to I take WUD files and play them?

Masters2150

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Firstly, sorry if this was answered in the stickies, I tried searching but never found this specific answer. So if one of them did answer this, please point me there. I'm either blind or too tired to see it right now, but I will keep looking after posting this.

Basically, if I have a WUD file, downloaded from somewhere, how do I go from having this file, to playing it on an (obviously) modded Wii U?

I read sticky "Wii u game formats and how to convert them" where it mentions WUD files, and different programs you can use on them for encryption/decryption, but do I really need to do all that? And if I don't know what I need to convert them for, not much I can do with this information.

Some guides I find don't give you all the instructions and expect you to know certain things already.

Any help would be appreciated!

Edit:----Found this: digiex.net/threads/wii-u-wud-to-loadiine-gx2-conversion-extract-wud-images-for-loadiine-use.14680/
But some posts say I shouldn't use loadline if I plan to use a USB hard drive.

Last edited by Masters2150,
Reactions: dojafoja

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd recommend redownloading your games as WUP files and installing them to your NAND or USB drive using your favorite WUP installer.

Also, don't use Loadiine.

Reactions: Memnoch9299

Masters2150

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd recommend redownloading your games as WUP files and installing them to your NAND or USB drive using your favorite WUP installer.

Also, don't use Loadiine.

Recommend a place I can get them?

I've also tried using wud2app but I'm obviously doing something wrong with the game.key and common.key. It keeps saying the key file size is wrong. I just copied the correct key to a notepad and saved it as game.key and common.key, which is obviously wrong. Do you know how to do it properly?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Recommend a place I can get them?

I've also tried using wud2app but I'm obviously doing something wrong with the game.key and common.key. It keeps saying the key file size is wrong. I just copied the correct key to a notepad and saved it as game.key and common.key, which is obviously wrong. Do you know how to do it properly?
It is against the rules to share download locations, but I can tell you that most people use Wii U USB Helper to download their Wii U games.

Masters2150

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Follow this guide "[GUIDE] Installing games on your WiiU from a .WUD image"

This...ALMOST works for me. The problem now is the game.key. I have the key, but it's in a text file. Do I just make a file called game.key and copy-paste the key into it?

It is against the rules to share download locations, but I can tell you that most people use Wii U USB Helper to download their Wii U games.
Ok I thought I read somewhere that this method is dead when Nintendo did something to that ticket downloading site.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This...ALMOST works for me. The problem now is the game.key. I have the key, but it's in a text file. Do I just make a file called game.key and copy-paste the key into it?

Ok I thought I read somewhere that this method is dead when Nintendo did something to that ticket downloading site.
This method is not dead on the Wii U.

xs4all

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

You can't rename the *.txt to *.key file, the file needs to be in HEX format, use HEX edit app like HxD, create a new file in HxD, copy the 32 character KEY (no spaces) from the txt file and paste it in the HxD file, then save as game.key, then try again.

Reactions: Laf111

Masters2150

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This method is not dead on the Wii U.

Actually got it running. Getting games, then I assume use the transfer tool to get them onto the Wii, then Wup installer to actually install games right?

You can't rename the *.txt to *.key file, the file needs to be in HEX format, use HEX edit app like HxD, create a new file in HxD, copy the 32 character KEY (no spaces) from the txt file and paste it in the HxD file, then save as game.key, then try again.

Thats simple enough, wish it had said that somewhere. Thanks!

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Actually got it running. Getting games, then I assume use the transfer tool to get them onto the Wii, then Wup installer to actually install games right?
Yep, transfer the files to the SD card, insert SD card into Wii U and install with Wup installer y mod. There's another version of wup installer that works too, but I can't recall the name now.

Masters2150

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
wupinstaller y mod
WUP Installer GX2 , grab "WUP_Installer_GX2_v1.3_r21_(HBL_HBC).zip".

Question though, does the game STAY on the SD card? Because it will eventually get full and become annoying to keep switching out. Do these programs let me install the games to an external hard drive?

xs4all

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You can't install games to your SD CARD, either internal system memory or external USB HDD (recommended), you only need the install files on the SD CARD, once installed to the ext hdd, you can delete the install files on the SD CARD.

Masters2150

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can't install games to your SD CARD, either internal system memory or external USB HDD (recommended), you only need the install files on the SD CARD, once installed to the ext hdd, you can delete the install files on the SD CARD.

Ok so the transfer tool puts them onto the SD card, WUP installer sees them and installs them onto NAND/USB hdd and I'm good.

Thanks for all the help!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Wlak like a Wlaker