Tutorial How to have SEPARATE ATMOSPHERE AND SXOS EMUNAND HIDDEN PARTITIONS ON THE SAME SD TUTORIAL!

Sovikos

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if it’s exactly like that thread…you prolly need to upgrade FW daybreak and that “dark sternie firmware”.

‘You can remove them using the built in DataManage….the fact that they are showing 0 bytes means you just have the index and it cant find the actual data. Deleting them and reinstall is a quick solution.
I think the data is still there though, as my SD card was quite full, like 300 GB worth of crap in that Nintendo folder lol. When I moved my SD card backup back to the SD, I originally put it in emuMMC/ER00/, but I just moved it to emuMMC/RAW1/ and it shows the file sizes now. This is the correct place to put my original Nintendo folder right, or do I put it in back in the root of the SD where it was when I was using SXOS Sysnand?

EDIT - I think I need to clean up my folder structure, now. I've tested a few games and they work (except Animal Crossing lol. I am sure I need to restore more JKSV saves or whatever for that maybe???) But, I am still unsure what I need and don't, or where everything goes and what folders I use. I have multiple apps added under homebrew, or I have added apps and they don't show up.

Last edited by Sovikos,

dmdsoftware

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
just curious what advantage the partitions have over emunand saved to files? I've used emunandswitcher before, that uses switching the files.

Sovikos

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
just curious what advantage the partitions have over emunand saved to files? I've used emunandswitcher before, that uses switching the files.
What is Emunand Saved to Files? I guess I also have a similar question which I should have asked at the start of all this, which is
"why hidden EmuNANDS?" lol... And what exactly is in them, and do I ever need access to them? Being as I never ever used an EmuNAND, this is all so foreign to me

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is Emunand Saved to Files? I guess I also have a similar question which I should have asked at the start of all this, which is
"why hidden EmuNANDS?" lol... And what exactly is in them, and do I ever need access to them? Being as I never ever used an EmuNAND, this is all so foreign to me

Hidden partitions are less susceptible to corruption. When you write emunands as files they are sitting on the FAT32 partition and all the file system management fun that goes with it. You technically don’t ever need to access them directly. Set them up and let them store your firmware and games and forget about it.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emunand files is basically a portable emunand folder structure that allows you to make backup copies of the said emunand to store on a PC or USB drive. It holds all the cache data like game icons user accounts ect
I think the key point that most ppl are missing is that Emunand files is a great option to have if you decided to upgrade your SD card b/c its a simple drag and drop on the new card. There are ways to back up partition, but its more complicated and requires specific software to do it. So personally if you don't care enough to upgrade the SD card just go hidden partition.

Sovikos

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hidden partitions are less susceptible to corruption. When you write emunands as files they are sitting on the FAT32 partition and all the file system management fun that goes with it. You technically don’t ever need to access them directly. Set them up and let them store your firmware and games and forget about it.
With my original SysNAND, and all the files and installs that were done in there, do I just go back into stock or SXOS but not EmuNAND, and delete that crap? As having SXOS on SysNAND and EmuNAND they won't read the files from both places correct? Like they'll act like 2 completely different CFWs, so installing a game on one, won't work on the other.

Also @binkinator can you help me out with my post here?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...s-on-the-same-sd-tutorial.601607/post-9710445

Emunand files is basically a portable emunand folder structure that allows you to make backup copies of the said emunand to store on a PC or USB drive. It holds all the cache data like game icons user accounts ect
I think the key point that most ppl are missing is that Emunand files is a great option to have if you decided to upgrade your SD card b/c its a simple drag and drop on the new card. There are ways to back up partition, but its more complicated and requires specific software to do it. So personally if you don't care enough to upgrade the SD card just go hidden partition.

Ah okay thanks for explaining. I wasn't sure what was actually in them or if I needed access to that stuff at all.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With my original SysNAND, and all the files and installs that were done in there, do I just go back into stock or SXOS but not EmuNAND, and delete that crap? As having SXOS on SysNAND and EmuNAND they won't read the files from both places correct? Like they'll act like 2 completely different CFWs, so installing a game on one, won't work on the other.
correct, each *Nand is separate from the others and will have individual games and firmware.
Also @binkinator can you help me out with my post here?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...s-on-the-same-sd-tutorial.601607/post-9710445

Ah okay thanks for explaining. I wasn't sure what was actually in them or if I needed access to that stuff at all.
There are tools to mount the contents of hidden partitions but you shouldn’t need to mess with it at all unless there is a specific need…you’ll know when you‘ll need to start reading up on how to manipulate a hidden partition. Until then…

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the data is still there though, as my SD card was quite full, like 300 GB worth of crap in that Nintendo folder lol. When I moved my SD card backup back to the SD, I originally put it in emuMMC/ER00/, but I just moved it to emuMMC/RAW1/ and it shows the file sizes now. This is the correct place to put my original Nintendo folder right, or do I put it in back in the root of the SD where it was when I was using SXOS Sysnand?

EDIT - I think I need to clean up my folder structure, now. I've tested a few games and they work (except Animal Crossing lol. I am sure I need to restore more JKSV saves or whatever for that maybe???) But, I am still unsure what I need and don't, or where everything goes and what folders I use. I have multiple apps added under homebrew, or I have added apps and they don't show up.
Should probably move this to Switch Noob Paradise as we’re cluttering up a tut thread.

Zero013

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi, I am new to this. I had follow your tutorial, and finally everything is working. But I got a question here.
when I boot to atmosphere, and using tinfoil to install nsp game, does the game install to sd card using sd card space or switch system space. So far I had a 512 gb sd card, but only got 30 gb left. If what ever nsp game install is to sd card, I will go and get a 1tb one.

Last edited by Zero013,

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I am new to this. I had follow your tutorial, and finally everything is working. But I got a question here.
when I boot to atmosphere, and using tinfoil to install nsp game, does the game install to sd card using sd card space or switch system space. So far I had a 512 gb sd card, but only got 30 gb left. If what ever nsp game install is to sd card, I will go and get a 1tb one.
It installs to SDcard space. 1TB is huge and you will be hard pressed to find enough quality games to fill it. In the event you do fill it up you should make backups either to your computer or another SD card…it would take forever to install and configure everything from scratch.

Zero013

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It installs to SDcard space. 1TB is huge and you will be hard pressed to find enough quality games to fill it. In the event you do fill it up you should make backups either to your computer or another SD card…it would take forever to install and configure everything from scratch.
cool, I had a copy in my 10 tb hard disk, but most game I run with sx os, only 5 game I run with atmosphere, but my 512 gb sd card only left 30 gb, and still got like 20 extra game i didnt put on, but i dont play those , and they are for collection only. But for future prove, sure it will come more game using atmosphere, since sx os not updating anymore. But I really like the xci loader thing, that is why some game I still stick with it. But some game give more dlc and update so i need the latest atmosphere. anyway thx for the infor. I might return the 512 gb to officework and get the 1tb one for future prove then

Reactions: binkinator

stefluid7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't seem to get it working, I have a hidden emunand partition for SX OS (created with hack sx os) I convert it to an atmosphere file and then when I go to partition the drive the type of the main partition (not the sx os hidden part) is listed as other instead of fat32 which it had previously been. I then format it again to fat32 and partition the space for atmosphere. After going to flash the atmosphere file to an atmosphere hidden part the nintendo folder is listed as Emutendo. Regardless, I start the process and it ends up failing with "errore 9 subscript out of range". This message pops up about 5 times and is followed by it telling me to copy my nintendo folder. Windows is also asking me to format the atmosphere partition whenever I open it.

EDIT:

Emutool seems to be working now I suspect the problem was due to me putting the atmosphere files in the Emutool folder. I am however unable to boot into hekate (nyx is missing) and I believe it is due to the fat32 partition I did earlier. Still kind of stuck but on the right track.

EDIT:

Ok so I completely wiped and reformatted the fat32 partition and it works like a charm!

Last edited by stefluid7,

stefluid7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering if there was any way to shrink the sxos partition after all the steps have been complete? Or do I have to start over?

stefluid7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used minitool partition wizard to extend the sd card size over the sx partition (gave it 12 gb). Backed everything up, and it actually worked and all the installed nsps still work.

Reactions: binkinator

simbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been dragging my heels, but finally ready to do this!
A couple quick questions though

• I'm starting from SXOS 11.0 SysNAND, with exFAT
  • No EmuNANDs yet

1. Do I just create SXOS EmuNAND from their boot menu on a fresh SD first?
  2. Do EmuNANDs also need converted to FAT32 somehow, or does that just apply to SD cards?
  3. Is AutoRCM still used without any issues?

Big thanks to @mikefor20 and everyone who helped put all this great info together. I'm really excited to get started!

mikefor20

We
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been dragging my heels, but finally ready to do this!
A couple quick questions though

• I'm starting from SXOS 11.0 SysNAND, with ExFAT
  • No EmuNANDs yet

1. Do I just create SXOS EmuNAND from their boot menu on a fresh SD first?
  2. Do EmuNANDs also need converted to FAT32 somehow, or does that just apply to SD cards?
  3. Is AutoRCM still used without any issues?

Big thanks to @mikefor20 and everyone who helped put all this great info together. I'm really excited to get started!
Quickly,

1, Do I just create SXOS EmuNAND from their boot menu on a fresh SD first?

Sure, That will work. The guide walks you through everything. You can start with any EmuNAND really. The PC tools can help too. It's in the guide.

The SD shoud be formatted with Panasonic SD Formatter. During the EmuNAND setup process your SD will be formatted again. The SD Will Look like:

SD:\[unformatted 32GB][FAT32 ][remaining space]

The unformatted section is the SXOS EmuNAND. After the guide You will have 2 unformatted partitions

SD:\[Unformatted(SX EmuNAND 32GB))][FAT32 until the last 32GB][Unformatted][ATMO emuNAND 32GB]

EmuNANDS are their own format essentially. They are a copy of the SysNAND. Your computer will see it as junk.

You can shrink or expand the EmuNANDS too. It's in the guide.

3, Is AutoRCM still used without any issues?

I have used it the entire time. Some people who let the battery run down while in AuroRCM bitch about the slow charging but if you shut down properly it will be fine. There's lot's of threads about that.

Cheers

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Quickly,

1, Do I just create SXOS EmuNAND from their boot menu on a fresh SD first?

Sure, That will work. The guide walks you through everything. You can start with any EmuNAND really. The PC tools can help too. It's in the guide.

The SD shoud be formatted with Panasonic SD Formatter. During the EmuNAND setup process your SD will be formatted again. The SD Will Look like:

SD:\[unformatted 32GB][FAT32 ][remaining space]

The unformatted section is the SXOS EmuNAND. After the guide You will have 2 unformatted partitions

SD:\[Unformatted(SX EmuNAND 32GB))][FAT32 until the last 32GB][Unformatted][ATMO emuNAND 32GB]

EmuNANDS are their own format essentially. They are a copy of the SysNAND. Your computer will see it as junk.

You can shrink or expand the EmuNANDS too. It's in the guide.

3, Is AutoRCM still used without any issues?

I have used it the entire time. Some people who let the battery run down while in AuroRCM bitch about the slow charging but if you shut down properly it will be fine. There's lot's of threads about that.

Cheers
Concerning AutoRcm, my switch Erista has been running with it since 2017, and never had issues. For proof, I had shutdown my switch on December 2021 with 100% charge, (didn’t use at all for months as I was involved on PS4), and powered on yesterday, guess what ? 100% charge 🤣

Last edited by Maupiti,

simbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I don't plan on going online, is there still a reason to have both EmuNANDs? My oldest NAND backup is post-SXOS. Should I just save the extra space by having one hidden partition for SXOS and putting Atmosphere on my SysNAND?

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Dark_Phoras @ Dark_Phoras: I think Xbox plays a bit too safe with their main IPs