Status
Not open for further replies.

amrum

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have 2 wireless connection setup on my 3DS, my normal home wireless network and the streetpass hotspot. They don't seem to conflict with each other as I have no problems in getting streetpass hits

I tought it could be the problem, i said nothing then... :P

Maybe he did not named correctly his ssid ?

xanthux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean by Ubuntu support? I'm using Ubuntu in my computer, but uses my WRT54G2 router (micro build) for Homepass.

bzlai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In your 3DS settings, you have just one connection to your router right ? Not 2 or 3 to any other access point ?

Yeah, its the only one. 3DS recognizes it as a working hotspot. I can access Nintendo Zone and recieve the special DLC item in Animal Crossing just fine.
Except I don't get any streetpass tags ._.

Edit: SSID is attwifi

Koldur

Virtual Boy Ambassador
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i'm running a dd-wrt setup. it works fine, but after a few hours the crons just seem to.. stop running. no more streetpasses.

if i go to the ip and manually disable/enable cron, it works again fine. anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

What script do you use?

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
What do you mean by Ubuntu support? I'm using Ubuntu in my computer, but uses my WRT54G2 router (micro build) for Homepass.

I mean it also can be used at Ubuntu PC now. It consolidates the recipe for Ubuntu linux from the first post with all features of DD-WRT script in one easy to install script for Linux.

i'm running a dd-wrt setup. it works fine, but after a few hours the crons just seem to.. stop running. no more streetpasses.
if i go to the ip and manually disable/enable cron, it works again fine. anyone have any ideas how to fix this?
It seems that cron daemon in some DD-WRT v24 SP2 builds is bugged and can fall asleep. There is no fix for that.

Koldur

Virtual Boy Ambassador
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah, its the only one. 3DS recognizes it as a working hotspot. I can access Nintendo Zone and recieve the special DLC item in Animal Crossing just fine.
Except I don't get any streetpass tags ._.

Edit: SSID is attwifi

Have you checked what MAC address it uses? That is the most important thing if you want to get StreetPasses, check it with inSSIDer.

assassinz

Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure you setup a connection in your 3DS internet settings and name it attwifi. Then test the connection to verify.
You only need to add the MAC address of your 3DS to the Access Control list; not the MAC addresses of the Streetpasses. I need to update that info in the guide. You can even disable the Access Control list to allow any device to use your USB hotspot.

[ quote="Maverynthia, post: 4767123, member: 249996"]I've been trying to get the XP way to work and well, I've run aground.

I've gotten the WiFi Adapter up to the point where it does act now as a regular SoftAP point and added the MACs to the Access Control (don't know why), however the 3DS doesn't seem to be picking up any of the MAC addresses. I changed the MAC in Techitum to one that's also in the Access Control and it says I have a Nintendo Zone available BUT... it doesn't seem to get a pass. I've tried it with a few of the more populated MACs too.

So I dunno what's going on. The 3DS won't connect to it as a regular WiFi point also despite other devices being able to.[/quote]

bzlai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you checked what MAC address it uses? That is the most important thing if you want to get StreetPasses, check it with inSSIDer.

Ahhh yeah. It's not recognizing the changed MAC address...
That seems to be the problem, my router is still using the default one.
Hmm, that's weird, I guess all that's needed to be recognized as a Nintendo Zone is any unsecured wifi AP named "attwifi"?

Koldur

Virtual Boy Ambassador
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ahhh yeah. It's not recognizing the changed MAC address...
That seems to be the problem, my router is still using the default one.
Hmm, that's weird, I guess all that's needed to be recognized as a Nintendo Zone is any unsecured wifi AP named "attwifi"?

You guessed right, what router and version of DD-WRT do you use, also, which one (mini/small/etc.)?

Maverynthia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure you setup a connection in your 3DS internet settings and name it attwifi. Then test the connection to verify.
You only need to add the MAC address of your 3DS to the Access Control list; not the MAC addresses of the Streetpasses. I need to update that info in the guide. You can even disable the Access Control list to allow any device to use your USB hotspot.

I've been trying to get the XP way to work and well, I've run aground.

I've gotten the WiFi Adapter up to the point where it does act now as a regular SoftAP point and added the MACs to the Access Control (don't know why), however the 3DS doesn't seem to be picking up any of the MAC addresses. I changed the MAC in Techitum to one that's also in the Access Control and it says I have a Nintendo Zone available BUT... it doesn't seem to get a pass. I've tried it with a few of the more populated MACs too.

So I dunno what's going on. The 3DS won't connect to it as a regular WiFi point also despite other devices being able to.

OK new problem, I got the dongle to actually act as a WiFi hotspot after tinkering with my Ralink/Linksys device and changing a few thing. ONLY The Nintendo USB Adapter doesn't want to change it MAC address when using MAC Cycle. The Techium will, but that's a bit of a pain to keep changing the MACs manually by hand and I don't see a script to do it auto. (I guess it's because Mac Cycle doesn't autorestart the network? Or make it persistant?)

So yes I fixed the problem only to find another problem. Maybe I'll go bug the MACycle person.

assassinz

Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With MacCycle you have to rename the USB WiFi connection to Wi-Fi in the Windows XP network connections. The SSID will still be attwifi in the ASUS APsoftware.

But it seems MacCycle doesn't cycle automatically. When I tried it, it changed the USB WiFi MAC address but gave an error message then stopped. But I still got a Streetpass. So I have to start it manually each time to change MACs. Technitium still works best for me.

Radz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I set up my parents' PC to use the Nintendo Wi-Fi Adapter and MACycle and it worked just fine. I received a half dozen by the time I left and my brother received them for days before somebody rebooted the computer or something and now he's not getting internet. I'll have to look at it when I go back over there Friday.

Also, I know it's fairly selfish, but I would like to also request that these MAC variants be included in the list so that perhaps we can at least get a few more unique passes. It does give 4 series users more passes as well.

Silent_Ninja_Man

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
And, to return your Wifi Adapter to it's original MAC address:

Code:
macshift -i "Wireless Network Connection" -r

This part isn't working, with this i get a new random MAC address :
network.png

On the Macshift site : http://devices.natetrue.com/macshift/
The commands are :

mac.png

So to get the original MAC you have to use the -d switch. Problem is when i do this i get a BSOD and i have to click on Network Address, "Absente" in the card properties.

JRave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This part isn't working, with this i get a new random MAC address :
network.png

It looks like you are running Win7, am I correct? If so you'll be unable to set a MAC Address that starts with 00. Try another MAC Address that starts with say 4E. See if it makes a random MAC for you or not. Seeing as you are an Atheros device, I would suspect it might change the first digit on you regardless of what you do.

darren42

Trophies
XP
Country
Also, I know it's fairly selfish, but I would like to also request that these MAC variants be included in the list so that perhaps we can at least get a few more unique passes. It does give 4 series users more passes as well.

I'll run through the 16 prime mac addresses with those offsets using a batch program. The offsets were 0 and 2 right?

Radz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll run through the 16 prime mac addresses with those offsets using a batch program. The offsets were 0 and 2 right?
At least those two, but I think there are others (7 maybe?). Thanks for doing it, but I'm hoping that it will not have to be a long-term solution. I'm stilling looking all the time for reasons that the MACs are being shifted or for ways to modify the drivers. Somebody said they saw something once about modding drivers to allow MACs that don't comply with Win7 virtual hotspot requirements, but they don't remember where...

Redbyte

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I have no clue what is wrong. I am running Windows 8 64x using a USB Wi-Fi adapter.
These are the steps i used: Start cmd to enable hosted networking, I do that then use macshift and enter one of the mac addresses posted (I try 4E:53:50:4F:4F:46 the most) then start up virtual router manager, change the SSID to "attwifi" (Without the quotes :3), set a password and make my shared connection ethernet, then I pop on over to my 3ds and log on and connect just fine.
But I am not getting any streetpasses nor can I connect to nintendo zone despite it saying I can (As I understand it the password and wpa2 encryption breaks it?). I have been screwing with this for like 4 hours and it is just driving me nuts :wacko: .
I can confirm that the Mac address has changed to the one I input-ed and the internet works on my 3ds via this set up. Can anyone give my some advice on what my problem could be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1