Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenBanana

Trophies
Website
noino.iwarp.com
XP
Country
If I need to troubleshoot my Windows XP set-up of the Remote StreetPass Relay, where would be appropriate to do so?
If I should start over from scratch, how can I be sure I've undone all the changes made to my system by this process?
Although I have followed the given instructions to the letter, I have not received any StreetPass, and in fact the internet stops working on the system I have been using.

yamfun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
So we know that some hardware would restrict the starting two letters of the MAC address, e.g. 02, 40, 6E instead of able to change to 4E.
Does the starting two letters have any special meaning, like, brand or region of the product?
Are there case of restriction at other positions?
If no, I might try to try out all 256 combination of the first two letters to look for other isolated group of people like in 02, 40, 6E.
But if there are even more combination, I would really just give up.

Edit: okay cool, just learnt that first octet is always even, so, just less than 128 combination

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Edit: okay cool, just learnt that first octet is always even, so, just less than 128 combination

First octet is always even, because first bit is used for multicast MAC address. The second bit determines whether this is a hardware MAC or it was set in software. Although the second bit value do not interfere with data routing, some drivers prohibits manual setting a 'like hardware' MAC addresses. So 4E should be possible to set on ANY hrdware/software which have a basic support for MAC clone/change. So if you can't get a streetasses from a base MAC address, DO NOT try to chenge the firt octet as this won't help.

yamfun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
First octet is always even, because first bit is used for multicast MAC address. The second bit determines whether this is a hardware MAC or it was set in software. Although the second bit value do not interfere with data routing, some drivers prohibits manual setting a 'like hardware' MAC addresses. So 4E should be possible to set on ANY hrdware/software which have a basic support for MAC clone/change. So if you can't get a streetasses from a base MAC address, DO NOT try to chenge the firt octet as this won't help.

I can street pass now, I am just trying to find out all the starting prohibition other than 02, 40, 6E.

dicamarques

Definitely not Bruce Wayne.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
Thank you so much. I swear to spaghetti that Bing doesn't like me, and some of us aren't fortunate or adept enough to have top-notch resources.

If I need to troubleshoot my Windows XP set-up of the Remote StreetPass Relay, where would be appropriate to do so?
If I should start over from scratch, how can I be sure I've undone all the changes made to my system by this process?
Although I have followed the given instructions to the letter, I have not received any StreetPass, and in fact the internet stops working on the system I have been using.

Well I never tried the XP method or used it but try to make a AP first and make sure you have internet access with it, then try mac changing.
Also, why people even use bing?

GreenBanana

Trophies
Website
noino.iwarp.com
XP
Country
Well I never tried the XP method or used it but try to make a AP first and make sure you have internet access with it, then try mac changing.
Also, why people even use bing?
Because Google was outed as an evil corporation years ago, and Bing gives you the same exact results anyway.

Back on topic, I seem to have gotten the XP method to work. After setting everything up and activating MACycle, I had to use the Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility to reconnect to my home's internet by re-inputting the WNK.

Also, I think that for some reason I have to set up the ASUS WLAN Card Settings to accept my 3DS's MAC Address in the Access Control Config. Can anyone else confirm this? When I removed my 3DS MAC addy from this list, I didn't seem to get any StreetPass.

Also, I don't see the "Nintendo Zone" indication (in spite of not actually being at one, as detailed in the topic post) when I'm able to receive StreetPass.

Oh, and the Bravely Default Demo StreetPass doesn't appear to work with this setup, either. I'd blame the software itself.

dicamarques

OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
Because Google was outed as an evil corporation years ago, and Bing gives you the same exact results anyway.

Back on topic, I seem to have gotten the XP method to work. After setting everything up and activating MACycle, I had to use the Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility to reconnect to my home's internet by re-inputting the WNK.

Also, I think that for some reason I have to set up the ASUS WLAN Card Settings to accept my 3DS's MAC Address in the Access Control Config. Can anyone else confirm this? When I removed my 3DS MAC addy from this list, I didn't seem to get any StreetPass.

Also, I don't see the "Nintendo Zone" indication (in spite of not actually being at one, as detailed in the topic post) when I'm able to receive StreetPass.

Oh, and the Bravely Default Demo StreetPass doesn't appear to work with this setup, either. I'd blame the software itself.

The Nzone App should tell you are in a Nzone but if you start the it errors (no problem). Just test for example the browser. And check with another device if you have your mac changed.

Quaxelbaby

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I set this up in my router, and my 3DS "sees" the Nintendo Zone and lets me connect to it without issue, but I still don't get any streetpass even when I let it idle in sleep mode. What gives?

vulturesrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I access the web interface of my DD-WRT router if I have it connected to my primary router. I tried going to the IP address I gave it (192.168.191.2) but I it wont show the the DD-WRT web interface. I set up my router and it all appears to be working correctly (internet access, nintendo zone access) but I'm not getting any streetpasses so I want to be able to go into the DD-WRT interface without having to directly connect that router to my computer again.

I redid all the settings and it seems to be working fine for now.

nandu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Here's how this worked for me:

1. Flawless on my friends iMac from 2006, after setting the shared 'attwifi' network and having sharing turned off it's as simple as putting 'sudo ifconfig en1 lladdr ***MAC ADDRESS***' in Terminal, turn sharing on, and BAM! Nearly instant streetpasses with every MAC address I type in. :)

2. Works like crap on my Win 8.1 machine with D-Link DWA-121 adapter (with D-Link drivers). :( I have some success with MACycler, it just that after a few cycles, I no longer get any streetpasses. There's also the fact that the MAC addresses must start with something like xA/xE/x2/x6, otherwise it just reverts to the default one.

So is there perhaps some other WiFi adapter to get, I'd love a DD-WRT router but I don't think any of them would work with my 4G modem (Huawei B593)...

Thanks! :)

dicamarques

OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
Here's how this worked for me:

1. Flawless on my friends iMac from 2006, after setting the shared 'attwifi' network and having sharing turned off it's as simple as putting 'sudo ifconfig en1 lladdr ***MAC ADDRESS***' in Terminal, turn sharing on, and BAM! Nearly instant streetpasses with every MAC address I type in. :)

2. Works like crap on my Win 8.1 machine with D-Link DWA-121 adapter (with D-Link drivers). :( I have some success with MACycler, it just that after a few cycles, I no longer get any streetpasses. There's also the fact that the MAC addresses must start with something like xA/xE/x2/x6, otherwise it just reverts to the default one.

So is there perhaps some other WiFi adapter to get, I'd love a DD-WRT router but I don't think any of them would work with my 4G modem (Huawei B593)...

Thanks! :)
Well, it might work with your modem since its linux and it's just a matter of looking online how to connect a 4g modem to dd-wrt

nandu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I also can't get the Linux script to work on my Virtualbox, it's kind of strange my phone and everything else find the newly created attwifi hotspot, but my neither of my 3DS's recognize the AP at all... at this point I guess I just need to use that old Mac. :mellow:

DarkKnigh_t

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
i have a problem so id be great if someone can help :) so i got a usb wifi dongle for my girlfriends laptop so what i wanna do i shes connected with her laptops wifi card to the house wifi and i wanna use the usb wifi i brought to make a hosted network and change macs. the problem is i set up everything correctly and when i change the mac of the usb wifi it changes it. but the problem lies in the hosted network. when i use the commands to setup the hostednetwork its making it using the laptops wifi card if you understand what i mean. the attwifi network is made using the laptops wifi card which i dont want i want it to be from the usb wifi dongle. is there any way to let windows know which wifi device i want to use to make a hostednetwork. im using windows 7 btw.
ps i know the basics i have a working homepass on my computer. just this is giving me trouble :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Wow, only $700?