Hacking <How-To>Get Homebrew up and running using the Twilight Hack.

breakdaze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

gazbag

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
rhyguy said:
BortzANATOR said:
haha great guide, but im having problems. i think its my SD cause ive done everything ive everything like you said. Heres whats up.

1gb micro sd lexar

formatted on my mac book pro. when i put something on the card it takes memory space away( the free space available counter goes down. like usual) but then i take the files back of my card, the space isnt freed up, it just keeps going down when i add stuff. wtf? i guess i need a new card i guess.

OSX keeps the trash files on the memory card
Empty your trash and you'll get the space back

i to am having this problem with my sd card. what do i need to do? what is OSX?

arsenal009

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a Micro SD card (1 Gig) with an SD adapter, will that work instead of an SD card?

Edit: Nvmd, got the answer
wink.gif

mtrhd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-x1_0_nt- said:
For the people who don't understand it....

What You Need

Wii (chip or non-chipped, doesn't matter),
SD Card (Remember the Wii doesn't read SDHC so you are limited to 2GB or less),
The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii version),
Free Time,
Computer,
SD Card Reader,
WinRAR or any other .RAR/.ZIP extractor

Summary: Back Up & Copy save to SD Card

Back Up -

First you may want to backup your twilight save if you have one. Go into setting -> Data Management -> Save Data -> Wii then save data and copy the twilight save to your SD Card. Connect the SD Card to your computer by a SD Card reader or a built in reader, inside the "private" folder there is another, just keep click on the folders untill you find the save. Move the BIN file to a safe location.

Now download the Twilight Princess hacked save. or if you have wii firmware 3.3 download this version

twilight-hackicon.png

Extract it using your own .ZIP extractor. I use WinRAR so i would right click the .ZIP and choose "Extract to twilight-hack-v0.1-alpha3a".

twilight-hackextract.png

WinRAR will produce a folder called "twilight-hack-v0.1-alpha3a".

twilight-hackiconextacted.png

Inside that folder there is four BIN files.

twilight-hackiconcontents.png

Refer to the Diagram below locate your Region and pick the file name from the diagram. Now select the correct file from twilight-hack-v0.1-alpha3a". So I'm from Europe i would pick rzdp0.bin from "twilight-hack-v0.1-alpha3a". Then copy the save from "twilight-hack-v0.1-alpha3a" into the SD Card where your last save was and name it data.bin.

twilighthack.jpg

Summary: Copying the save, booting up twilight princess

Now take your SD Card and place it inside the Wii's SD Slot. Power on your console and go to settings -> Data Management -> Save Data -> Wii and at the very top there is a Tab called "SD Card" select that and pick the save, select "Copy". After a few seconds it will be done, you can go ahead and Erase this save from your SD Card as you don't need it anymore.

Summary: boot your first .elf

Now you have everything set up, but to get Homebrew working you must have the Homebrew. Homebrew for the Wii comes in .elf format. Over at Wiibrew.org they have a handy table of wii homebrew which has been released (not all homebrew tho). Pick your homebrew and download it. If it isn't already, rename the .ELF to "boot.elf" and place it on the root of your SD Card (the root is the place where you see when you click on your sd card reader in "My Computer").

sdroot.png

Start up The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess and choose the first save. Walk backwards and a black screen with white writing scrolling will appear. Your choice of homebrew will boot in a matter of seconds.

Summary: Extra information

The twilight hack can only boot one boot.elf and it doesn't let you choose the homebrew to boot if you have 2 or more .elf's on your SD Card. This is where Loaders come into action. For this Tutorial i will be using the Wii Homebrew Launcher which requires a Gamecube controller. The loader will come in .elf format as normal. Rename it boot.elf and place it on your SD Card, overwriting any other boot.elf if need be.

Now for the Wii Homebrew launcher the different homebrew must be in diffeent folders. So make a folder called homebrew and a few new folders in that new folder, name each folder what ever name the homebrew is.

contentsloader.png

Download the required homebrew you want and rename all the .elf's you download to "boot.elf". Copy each boot.elf to the folders making sure there is a boot.elf in each folder.

Now take the SD Card, put it in the wii and load twilight princess, walk backwards and in a few seconds the loader will load.

NOTE: Some Homebrew require a Gamecube Controller.

Any questions? Post in this topic.

EDIT:

I recommend you use the Homebrew Channel instead of the loader, you then wouldn't need twilight princess
i get an error code because my menu version is2.2 what do i do?

Posts merged

i cant install because of an error code.my menu version is only 2.2 what do i do?

Caio Icy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
... *confused*
I have a modchip, a fake copy of twilight, version 3.3U.
I would like to have the homebrew channel 1.0.1 and the best homebrew-compatible firmware (3.2 right?).
Someone please help me :x
thanks

Nevermind, i did it on my own.

Hasimir

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi, I'm new here
happy.gif

Sorry for being such a noob but I am unable to install the Homebrew Channel
tongue.gif

My Wii has 3.1E firmware.
I use a Sandisk micro-sd with an SD adapter.

I did the following:

- format the 2gb SD to Fat16
- put in the SD root a folder named "apps"
- put in the SD root the folder named "private" with the TH taken from the official Homebrew Channel page HERE, the twilight-hack-v0.1-beta1.zip one
- put in the SD root the file boot.dol taken from the official Homebrew Channel page HERE, the the_homebrew_channel-1.0.1.tar.gz one

- created a Zelda save on the Wii
- deleted the Zelda save
- copyed the TH for europe

- start the Zelda game
- load the TH save

Now here things start to get weird.
When the screen that asks you if the squares you see on screen are actually square my wiimote cursor "falls" ... it drops to the bottom of the screen, unmovable.
Buttons are still responsive...so I press A and the game starts.

Even into the game my wiimote is dead.
Buttons and nunchuk work...so I walk to the NPC and press A to talk.

Now the black screen with stuff written on it appears...but it stops there.
It seems that the program is unable to locate del .dol file, thus leaves the process "hanging".
From here the consolle is frozen and I have to turn it off.

I tryed renaming the .dol into .elf ... but to no effect.
What should I do?

Thanks for any help
smile.gif

[EDIT]
L'esatto messaggio che mi appare a schermata è:

[...]
SD card detected
USB Gecko serial interface not detected
Loading FAT:
OEM Mame: , 0 bytes/sector , 0 sector/cluster , 0 reserved sectors , 0 FATs , FAT32.
FAT size = 0
FAT starts at sector 0x100
/ starts at sector 0x 100
Reading boot.dol:
boot.dol not found (-1), reading boor.elf:
Failed to read boot.elf (-1)!
No code found to load, hanging.

[EDIT 2]
I got it working...
Using a different SD it all worked fine.
I used the same brand and type of SD (Sandisk Micro-SD with SD adapter) but it was 1gb instead of 2gb.

A more plausible reason may be thay I formatted it as FAT32 instead of FAT16 ... the guide clearly states to use 16, but someone here suggested the 32 size.
Well it worked
tongue.gif

Now...to install the Homebrew Launcher Channel without an internet connection...

[EDIT 3]
Solved the offline install too ... all fine now
wink.gif

[EDIT 4]
Problems solved but now I have some stupid questions for you all
biggrin.gif

- am I supposed to use NTSC or PAL games? (I suppose PAL for Europe, right?)
- how can I tell from my hardware/software? (I suppose from the E at the end of my firmware, right?)
- if I use an NTSC game on a PAL machine, will it just not run? run badly? damage the machine?

- am I supposed to keep the SD inserted at all times to use the Launcher Gamma?

Joey R.

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I was wanted to ask a quick question.

I'm probably getting a Wii for Christmas, like many people around the world, so the first thing I'll do is rent TP to install the Twilight Hack. The thing is, my Wii will probably run an old firmware. Once I install the TH and the HBC, can I update directly to 3.2E using the update function found in the HBC? Or should I rent a game which contains the update?

After that is solved, I'll see how I can install Gamma to play backups
tongue.gif

zerof

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hasimir said:
- am I supposed to use NTSC or PAL games? (I suppose PAL for Europe, right?)
- how can I tell from my hardware/software? (I suppose from the E at the end of my firmware, right?)
- if I use an NTSC game on a PAL machine, will it just not run? run badly? damage the machine?

- am I supposed to keep the SD inserted at all times to use the Launcher Gamma?

You answered the first two so running a ntsc game on a pal will not hurt anything. You might have video issues though so I'd just stick to your region if you can find it.

You need the sd card to run gamma only if you don't have a gamma channel.

And +1 for solving our own problems.
cool.gif

Posts merged

QUOTE(Joey R. @ Dec 15 2008, 05:10 PM) I was wanted to ask a quick question.

I'm probably getting a Wii for Christmas, like many people around the world, so the first thing I'll do is rent TP to install the Twilight Hack. The thing is, my Wii will probably run an old firmware. Once I install the TH and the HBC, can I update directly to 3.2E using the update function found in the HBC? Or should I rent a game which contains the update?

After that is solved, I'll see how I can install Gamma to play backups
tongue.gif

You will probably need to downgrade rather than upgrade. It will probably have v3.3 so look for a sticky called Oct. 23 Fix.

Hasimir

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks Zerof
smile.gif

Let's see...
Following the instructions by wiigator HERE I installed the Homebrew Channell ... then the cIOS ... then tryed to use the Launcher ... wich resulted in a black screen, possibly because I didn't have a DVD in the Wii.

Now, if this is not the Launcher Channel...how do I set it up?

zerof

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hasimir said:
Thanks Zerof
smile.gif

Let's see...
Following the instructions by wiigator HERE I installed the Homebrew Channell ... then the cIOS ... then tryed to use the Launcher ... wich resulted in a black screen, possibly because I didn't have a DVD in the Wii.

Now, if this is not the Launcher Channel...how do I set it up?

You will need an sd card if you want to run that because it is an app that runs from the homebrew channel. To get a gamma channel which will show on your channels screen then you need to go here:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=115706

And then pick out one that suits you. You will install it through wad manager which you get to through the homebrew channel and then you won't need an sd card anymore nor will you have to go through the homebrew channel to run the backup launcher. It will be added onto your other channels such as the news channel, mii channel, etc.

Stang

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
I don't know if this is the correct topic for ask but...
I have installed the Twilight Hack with 3.3e sytem and it seem to work...should I downgrade?

It is a matter of preference. I would say yes, downgrade to 3.2.....that way you can install starfall.

Question....after the homebrew channel is installed via TP hack, is it ok to delete the hacked save?

wanders

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Stang said:
Question....after the homebrew channel is installed via TP hack, is it ok to delete the hacked save?

*shrug* It's safest in general to leave it on there in case you banner-brick the wii, but it's not going to hurt anything per se to put an actual save back on there to play Zelda. Just be sure the hack is on there before you install any wads down the road.

Stang

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is why I asked, I was not sure if starting a new game/copying my past game would affect anything even if you saved onto a different block. I will start a new game, better safe then sorry. Thanks wanders.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: You infidel.