Hacking <How-To>Get Homebrew up and running using the Twilight Hack.

D

Deleted User

Well,

unless you have a modchip and a firmware below 3.2, then there's no way.

Of course, if you have those, get homebrew channel ISO.

If you don't know where to find the firmware version of your Wii, then STOP. You aren't cut out for this community.

Lubbo

GBAtemp Veteran Resurgence
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i just have some questions concerning this:

1. Doing the twilight hack adds the homebrew channel but does it also allow me to play backup/copied games?

2. I have the latest wii firmware out does that effect or matter at all?

3. I'm scared i will brick my Wii is there any chance that it could?

4. in this topic some people were talking about getting VC games does that mean Virtual Console games from the Wii shop channel or just emulators?

5. also to have the homebrew channel do i have to have the SD card in all the time?

thanks

D

Deleted User

1. No, it won't help you play backups. SoftChip and Gamma will

2. No, it won't

3. No, it shouldn't

4. No, it's either the WADs or the official (Which I highly doubt)

5. No, you don't have to have the sd card all the time. You only need it when you launch HBC

Lubbo

GBAtemp Veteran Resurgence
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
afif95 said:
1. No, it won't help you play backups. SoftChip and Gamma will

2. No, it won't

3. No, it shouldn't

4. No, it's either the WADs or the official (Which I highly doubt)

5. No, you don't have to have the sd card all the time. You only need it when you launch HBC

by launch do you mean everytime when you go into the homebrew channel or when you first add it using the twilight hack?

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
the homebrew channel loads the aplications from the SD, but it also starts the Wi-Fi entrance in your Wii, so you can install in your PC (if you have a wireless router) sendelf or wiiload or any tcp aplication that allows you you send the .dol files to your Wii over the Wi-Fi, so in order to use the aplications of the Wii homebrew in your wii, you need one out of this three:

1) Have a SD with your aplications in SD:/apps each one in it's own folder and renamed to boot.dol
2) Install a tcp client (SendElf, WiiLoad, etc..) to send over the network the aplications from your PC to your Wii.
3) Use the SD only to install the aplications as channels, many aplications have been made into channel at this point, so you only need to install them into the MainMenu and the SD wont be needed anymore (unless you want to add more)

got it..??
smile.gif

Wii4fun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a simple Question that has most likely already been answered but I could not find it.

When using any of the softmods like Twilight Princess Hack on an SD card, is this MOD a permanent change to the Wii?
Will my Wii start like normal (like new) when the SD is not in.

also What is the most recent or reliable softMod to use.

Thanx in advance for any help you can give me.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Wii4fun said:
Just a simple Question that has most likely already been answered but I could not find it.

When using any of the softmods like Twilight Princess Hack on an SD card, is this MOD a permanent change to the Wii?
Will my Wii start like normal (like new) when the SD is not in.

also What is the most recent or reliable softMod to use.

Thanx in advance for any help you can give me.

The Twilight Hack isn't permanent, the Homebrew Channel can be if you don't delete it thru the Wii Settings, and everyone here uses homebrew channel, discover more at wiibrew.org..!!!
wink.gif

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
jerm27 said:
my wii is a 3.4E

does that mean i cant use the twilight hack

if so is there a way to downgrade???

You can use the twilight hack, and the only way to downgrade is with the cIOS and IOS Downgraders, but you still need directly or inderectly the TH; check at wiibrew.org for the TH for 3.4...!!
smile.gif

D

Deleted User

gokujr1000 said:
damn you need a gamecube controller

No we don't need a gamecube controller. Unless you're using the gamecube version of the game, which totally ain't cool and unsupported with Twilight Hack

nybelle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi All,

I've done the softmod with the twilight hack and i have the homebrew channel. What I don't get is how to play backed up wii games. I burnt a wii iso of mario kart using wiijunkies, but obviously the wii doesnt recognize the disc and I need to run it from within homebrew (right?). If that's the case, what can I use to run the disc? I tried GeckoOs but it didnt recognize the disc either.
FYI, I'm running 3.4 on my wii.

I hope I didn't miss any glaringly obvious steps...Thanks for any input!

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
nybelle said:
Hi All,

I've done the softmod with the twilight hack and i have the homebrew channel. What I don't get is how to play backed up wii games. I burnt a wii iso of mario kart using wiijunkies, but obviously the wii doesnt recognize the disc and I need to run it from within homebrew (right?). If that's the case, what can I use to run the disc? I tried GeckoOs but it didnt recognize the disc either.
FYI, I'm running 3.4 on my wii.

I hope I didn't miss any glaringly obvious steps...Thanks for any input!
You need to download the Backup launcher (wiigator backup launcher 0.3 gamma) and install its cios
http://www.iol.ie/~taz/backuplauncher0.3_gamma.zip

eddie182

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey all.

I have a Wiikey V1 with 3.2E and the Homebrew Channel. I wish to update to 3.4 as I want to be able to access the shop channel yet I've heard that this update stops the older Wiikey and also stops the Homebrew Channel from working. Is this true? I can't find a whole lot of information on what to do. I understand that there is an update for the Twilight Hack that fixes the 3.4 issue, however does this make the Homebrew Channel run with 3.4? I am willing to update to Wiikey 2 or a similar modchip if required.

Any information you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eddie
smile.gif

Lakerfanalways

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone,
(I posted this elsewhere but figured it might belong here)

I am running Firmware 3.4 on my NTSC USA Wii. I am getting my Mod Chip in two weeks. I have tried the Twilight Hack on my Wii and it is not working. it keeps on saying failure to load boot.dol

says boot.dol not found (-1) reading boot.elf
failed to read boot.elf
no code found to load..hanging

So that is what it keeps saying so someone who has been helping me is speculating that I need the elf installer in elf format to make it work..if anyone can help me I would really appreciate it..thank U

theweAve

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This may have been asked, but how would I roll the Wii Back if i want to remove the Twilight Hack?? Is there any way to undo it?

*the*weAve*

Lakerfanalways

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I FINALLY got it working, sorta, I reformatted the SD card, put in PRIVATE folder and the Boot.DOL file, it did work, went through it, and I pressed home and it restarted the wii, but I dont see any homebrew channel, I see everything that I saw before..what gives

I am beginning to think the reason why the original hack did not work was cause I needed to reformat the sd card, but can I do the whole thing again since it sorta worked, but I don't see a homebrew channel, not sure if it even worked..what will it do, basically overwrite what I did..any help I would really appreciate.. thanks

Lakerfanalways

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YAY GOT IT WORKING. If I can do it, ANYONE can do it and I mean ANYONE..it was SIMPLE once I figured out what the heck I was doing..Thanks SO much to a certain someone on this forum who assisted me, he knows who he is :-) I have a question though, when I put in a back up disc, he told me that I have to use that backup manager program(the one with the two discs on it) to play it..I am on NTSC-USA..and I already checked with WiU 1.1 to make sure that the programs are INDEED USA versions..if I put in a disc and I open up the backup program, I dont have to worry about the Wii Bricking because I put in a disc right..thanks so much

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :shy::blush::evil:.... :tpi::rofl2:
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :shy::blush::evil:.... :tpi::rofl2: