How to convert a .3DS/3DZ save from one region to another on GW.

Hello, friend. Did you recently start playing a game using a rom from another region because it got dumped first, but want to transfer it to your main region? Well, look no further! This here is my attempt at writing a guide for those of you who, like me, were confused by the other one found here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial...v-to-eshop-3ds-3dz-with-savedatafiler.380246/ This guide will walk you step-by-step, but I couldn't have done it without the help of the tutorial creator, liomajor, and the various commenters inside. This guide is made based on the assumption that you have Gateway with a fully functional emuNAND, but it may very well work for other flashcarts/CFW. It's also assuming you are using both .3DS or .3DZ. gamesquest1 detailed how to do this for .cia files, and the different steps you need for it will be listed at the bottom of the guide.

Here's what you need:
  • Copy of the ROM that you want to transfer from, and its save. From now on, I will refer to this as ROM1.
  • Copy of the ROM that you want to transfer to, and a save (just start the game and get to the earliest save point possible). From now on, I will refer to this as ROM2.
  • SaveDataFiler. I can't put a link here, so do some of the usual Google-fu. From now on, I will refer to this as SDF.
  • (Optional) A FTP app for your 3DS, which will drastically cut down the time it takes between steps, since you never need to take out your SD card.
Alrighty, let's get started! For this tutorial I will use the EU and US versions of Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate as reference, since that's what I used and what a good amount of you readers will use as well.
  1. Backup your save games.
  2. Seriously, backup your save games. I cannot stress this enough. You're going to need to, anyway.
  3. Using the method of your choice, copy your ROM1 save to your SD and rename the .sav to 000400000FF40A00.sav. You can find your save's file name by going to http://3ds.essh.co/, typing in the name of your game in the search bar, and going to the titleid column. For example, my save is from EU MH4U, and its titleid is 0004000000126100, so its save's filename is 0004000000126100.sav.
  4. Turn on your console and load up the Gateway browser exploit.
  5. Press Select and select ROM1 from your rom list.
  6. Open SDF. You should see "CTR Card" followed by a bunch of numbers with broken next to them. Highlight CTR Card, press Y and then A to decrypt and export ROM1's save. It will now show up under the SD tab by a string of numbers which indicate the date, followed by the last several numbers of ROM1's titleid.
  7. Turn off your console and open up your SD card.
  8. Delete 000400000FF40A00.sav, then copy ROM2's save to your SD card and rename it to 000400000FF40A00.sav
  9. Turn on your console and load up the Gateway browser exploit.
  10. Press Select and select ROM2 from your rom list.
  11. Open SDF. Using the same procedure as step 6, highlight CTR Card, press Y, and then A to decrypt ROM2's save. It will now show up under the SD tab in addition to the decrypted save of ROM1 from step 6.
  12. Turn off your console and open up your SD Card.
  13. Inside the folder "filer" you will find the subfolder UserSaveData. Inside will be two folders with the same names as the decrypted saves. Backup "filer" onto your PC.
  14. This following may be different depending on the game used. Again, I will be referencing MH4U. Open ROM1's subfolder. You will know it's ROM1's subfolder because inside it will have a folder and files with ROM1's titleid. For MH4U, it has the files 00001261.dat, 00001261_.dat, and export.log, with the folder 00001261. Inside the titleid folder are the files system and user1. Again, this may be different depending on the game.
  15. Copy the files from ROM1's titleid folder and replace the files from ROM2's titleid folder.
  16. Turn on your console, and load up the Gateway Browser exploit.
  17. Press Select and select ROM2 from your ROM list.
  18. Open SDF, go to the SD tab, select ROM2's decrypted save folder (it'll be the one with the higher number, which indicates it was decrypted later) and press L + A to import the save. It will be stored as 000400000FF40A00.sav.
  19. Turn off your console and open up your SD Card (I told you, an FTP client would save you a bunch of time).
  20. Rename 000400000FF40A00.sav to ROM2's titleid.sav, which in my case is 0004000000126300.sav.
  21. Turn on your console and load up the Gateway browser exploit.
  22. Press Select, select ROM2 from your rom list, and start the game. Assuming everything went according to plan, your save from one region is now working for another region. Congratulations!
A common problem with this process is CTR Card showing as broken. That means you didn't properly copy whatever save you're trying to import/export from and rename it as 000400000FF40A00.sav.

For .cia files, a bunch of steps can be skipped. You don't need to do any save file renaming. Open SDF, go to the middle tab, find the titleids of ROM1 and ROM2, and export/decrypt them. Then open up your SD card, copy ROM1's filer files over ROM2's, and then go back to SDF and import ROM2's save.

If the files in your decrypted save folders are different from mine, then steps 14 and 15 will be different. I can't imagine them being too different, though. Got another problem? Let me know and I'll try to help.

plasma

GBAtemp's Artificial Lifeform
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Works great whith Shantae NTSC->PAL.
Thanks for this guide.

By the way, which process is 000400000FF40A00 ?

That is what you rename the savefile to, so SDF doesnt show CTR BROKEN when the game is mounted.

EDIT: I didnt see the following post, my bad.

Is this really that hard to do? I managed to change a retail cart save into a Gateway save an vice versa with no problems and no Powersaves;-;

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is what you rename the savefile to, so SDF doesnt show CTR BROKEN when the game is mounted.

EDIT: I didnt see the following post, my bad.

Is this really that hard to do? I managed to change a retail cart save into a Gateway save an vice versa with no problems and no Powersaves;-;
Vice versa? You injected a save into a retail cart without Powersaves?

Herobroski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is so special aout this particular number? 000400000FF40A00 Ive seen it used multiple times in several common guides relating to the save files.

Pedeadstrian

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is so special aout this particular number? 000400000FF40A00 Ive seen it used multiple times in several common guides relating to the save files.
It's SaveDataFiler's "save." Your ROMs read saves based on their titleid, so when you rename it to SaveDataFiler's titleid, it is able to be read.

Herobroski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even after I renamed my Fire Emblem awakening Jap Rom1 which is (004000007200) to 000400000FF40A00.sav. It still says ctr- broken.
Edit: Oh. Do I have to change the .3ds file for Fire emblem to a .cia file?

Pedeadstrian

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even after I renamed my Fire Emblem awakening Jap Rom1 which is (004000007200) to 000400000FF40A00.sav. It still says ctr- broken.
Edit: Oh. Do I have to change the .3ds file for Fire emblem to a .cia file?
No, changing the rom itself is unnecessary. All you need to change are the file names of the saves. Assuming your FF40A save is named correctly, and you have the game mounted, you should be able to see it in SDF, although other people have mentioned being unable to. If you made sure you followed my steps exactly to get SDF to read the save, and it still can't, I can't help ya.

Reactions: Herobroski

Herobroski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyway, I think I know what the problem is for most people. Its not "00040000000A0500.sav". Its "00040000000A0500". This should cure the ctrcard-broken thingy problem.

Herobroski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the amount of attempts I've taken, I've made no progress. I tried clearing my SD of all saves, only having the renamed MH4U EU save.
I tried renaming it using FTP and transferring it after i mounted it.
I tried using a different SD card.
Each attempt ended with it saying CTR - broken

Its really frustrating as I tried this many times during the week. Any suggestions?
Try instead of doing "000400000FF40A00.sav", do "000400000FF40A00", as it rightfully should be.

Pedeadstrian

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyway, I think I know what the problem is for most people. Its not "00040000000A0500.sav". Its "00040000000A0500". This should cure the ctrcard-broken thingy problem.
I'm guessing your operating system hides extensions? When I say rename the file, I'm including the extension. SDF isn't randomly reading a file called 000400000FF40A00, with no extension. It's reading 000400000FF40A00.sav.

Naridar

Excelsior!
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Hi! Just a quick question, sorry if it's n00bish. Can this method be used to convert a .3ds file's save to a .3dz one? (same ROM, same region) Thanks in advance.

briosch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
hello!!!

I'm stuck at the point 14.

14. in filer, usersavedata, I have two folders. The first one with the Mh4u Eu version (the savedata that I want to import) and the second one with the Mh4u Us version. In the Eu version I have a folder named 00001261, 00001261.dat, 00001261_.dat, export.log.

I copy all these files to the US folder (where there are the 00001263 folder and files as well.) and overwrite the export.log.
So in this folder now I have both the 00001261 and 00001263 folders and files as well and only one export.log for a total of 7 items.

I then put my sd card back to the 3ds, run gateway, select the us rom, enter savedatafilter, go to the sd section, select the last save, and press l+a.

I get a Failure!

result
level: -7
summary 4
module 17
Desc 561

What I'm doing wrong?

Pedeadstrian

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You want to take your MH4U EU save and put it into MH4U US, right? Then the only things you copy are the two files in 00001261, and put them into 00001263, overwriting the previous files. Do not move the files 00001261.dat, 00001261_.dat, and export.log. The reason why you are getting an error is because the export.log contains the filepath of the 00001261 folders and files, so by overwriting it, you're telling SDF to look in places that don't exist. Just copy and replace user and system1 from 1261 to 1263.

briosch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
Got it work, thanks a lo!!:lol:

I will bug you with another question: I got it work with the backup but I would like to make it work with the retail cartridge. Once I load the retail cartridge it doesn't recognize the backup savefile...any suggestion?

Pedeadstrian

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got it work, thanks a lo!!:lol:

I will bug you with another question: I got it work with the backup but I would like to make it work with the retail cartridge. Once I load the retail cartridge it doesn't recognize the backup savefile...any suggestion?
It's impossible to inject a save into a retail cartridge without a third party device (Powersaves). You can take a save from a cartridge and put it into a ROM, but not the other way around.

Jason47630843

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I used the SaveDataFiler to convert MH4G Save to MH4U but it seems everthing are good but i am not able to play online in the Elder Hall even I am HR76 and got G3 title, but i am able to to play in the Val Habar (Gathering Hall). Plz Help

Pedeadstrian

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used the SaveDataFiler to convert MH4G Save to MH4U but it seems everthing are good but i am not able to play online in the Elder Hall even I am HR76 and got G3 title, but i am able to to play in the Val Habar (Gathering Hall). Plz Help
You need a .3dz with a working (preferably private) header or a .cia. If you just have a .3ds file, it can't connect to the internet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://torrentfreak.com/one-nintendo-dmca-notice-just-wiped-out-8535-yuzu-emulator-forks-240502/