Homebrew How should I format my SD card?

claudekennilol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not seeing anything definitive on how to format my sd card other than fat32. Specifically what allocation should I use? Does it make any difference?

claudekennilol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer to use the lowest allocation size possible.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
That's specifically why I'm asking. I've seen "32" and "64" stated, but the utility I've seen suggested in multiple places (GuiFormat) doesn't appear to go lower than 512. Specifically, I've got a 64gb micro sdxc card I'm trying to make use of.

Trophies
Country
Canada
That's specifically why I'm asking. I've seen "32" and "64" stated, but the utility I've seen suggested in multiple places (GuiFormat) doesn't appear to go lower than 512. Specifically, I've got a 64gb micro sdxc card I'm trying to make use of.
I have a 64gig Samsung Evo+ micro sd and I have it at 32. I use it in my n3dsxl that has a9lh and Luma and had no problems

Trophies
Country
Canada
You have posted the same thread in two different forums that is against gbatemp.net rules.
I did not see that.
Looks like I won't be helping the OP further for breaking rules.
Everyone needs to read the rules of GBATEMP before doing anything on the site.

Reactions: AmandaRose

claudekennilol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I posted it in the wrong forum at first and then posted again. I went to delete the other and did not see a way to delete the thread. Instead of being all self righteous and high and mighty, let's just assume I made a mistake and help out the guy just looking for help.

I have a 64gig Samsung Evo+ micro sd and I have it at 32. I use it in my n3dsxl that has a9lh and Luma and had no problems

So then how did you do that? I haven't yet found a way to do so...

Last edited by claudekennilol,

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I posted it in the wrong forum at first and then posted again. I went to delete the other and did not see a way to delete the thread. Instead of being all self righteous and high and mighty, let's just assume I made a mistake and help out the guy just looking for help.

So then how did you do that? I haven't yet find a way to do so...
In that case then you don't create a new thread you use the report button at the bottom of you post and ask a mod to move it. I was only telling you this as you can be banned from the site for creating the same thread in different forums I was not being self righteous. Also the default sd formater in Windows lets you select 32kb or 64kb

Last edited by AmandaRose,

claudekennilol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In that case then you don't create a new thread you use the report button at the bottom of you post and ask a mod to move it. I was only telling you this as you can be banned from the site for creating the same thread in different forums I was not being self righteous. Also the default sd formater in Windows lets you select 32kb or 64kb

I can understand that, but saying "I'm not going to help you" doesn't help anyone. It just gives the impression of elitism and doesn't create a friendly environment. The default formater doesn't give me the option of FAT32 for this sdxc card, hence me not knowing what's going on.

upload_2017-4-15_19-56-1.png

Which of these options is the desired choice? I see no "32" or "64" as I've seen suggested. Do I need a separate a tool, or are "32" and "64" just shorthand for 32kb and 64kb meaning 32768 and 65536?

Last edited by claudekennilol,

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can understand that, but saying "I'm not going to help you" doesn't help anyone. It just gives the impression of elitism and doesn't create a friendly environment.

View attachment 84309

Which of these options is the desired choice? I see no "32" or "64" as I've seen suggested. Do I need a separate a tool, or are "32" and "64" just shorthand for 32kb and 64kb meaning 32768 and 65536?
as for what @OfficialBrony said we'll we could get into trouble for posting because of your double thread so by saying he was no longer helping he then covered himself from getting into trouble should a mod see the thread. Also what version of Windows are you using?? The default formater should have the option to select 32kb or 64kb

Reactions: OfficialBrony

claudekennilol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on Windows 10.

If you're going to get in trouble on my behalf because of a mistake I made then feel free to stop responding. I'm just trying to get this sorted out and find a definitive answer. Obviously I didn't intend for this to become such a hassle for anyone.

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
try this it's probably the easiest way to fix the problem

First download EaseUS partition tool then

Step 1.
Connect SD card to your computer, launch EaseUS partition tool, right-click the card you want to format and choose "Format partition".

format-partition-1.gif

Step 2. A mini window pops out, on which you can edit the partition label and choose a file system such as FAT/FAT32, NTFS, EXT2/EXT3.
At this point select FAT32
format-partition-3.gif

Step 3. Click "Apply" to confirm to format your 64GB SD card to FAT32 with ease.

Trophies
Country
Canada
as for what @OfficialBrony said we'll we could get into trouble for posting because of your double thread so by saying he was no longer helping he then covered himself from getting into trouble should a mod see the thread. Also what version of Windows are you using?? The default formater should have the option to select 32kb or 64kb
The built-in windows formatter doesn't support fat32 for 64gigs and higher.

Trylk248

Honest helper and custom content creator.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Personally, I use 64kb as cluster size for cards with 16Gb and more.

I actually have a 64Gb microSD XC card formatted to FAT32 @PrimaryType. And the reason why I use this high cluster size is because if I want a quick access to apps or install games, well, it's faster.

TheTechGenius

</Web Dev>
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In GUIFormat the 65536 is 64kb and the 32768 is 32kb. They just have the exact number in bytes, instead of Kilobytes. I have my 64GB SD formated to 65536 Bytes/64KB.

I hope that helped.

(Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ using Tapatalk)

Last edited by TheTechGenius,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative