Hacking How screwed am I? Fixing a bricked N3DS XL with no backup

Bubblegoose90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I messed up the cfw, and I have no backup. Stupid, ik. So now I get a lit black screen but I can load gm9 explorer v1.2.1 if I hold start button when I press the power. Otherwise just the black screen. All buttons but home turn it back off unless I'm in gm. I was ready to just replace the mobo

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I messed up the cfw, and I have no backup. Stupid, ik. So now I get a lit black screen but I can load gm9 explorer v1.2.1 if I hold start button when I press the power. Otherwise just the black screen. All buttons but home turn it back off unless I'm in gm. I was ready to just replace the mobo
What happens if you hold Select during boot?
You can probably just do a CTR transfer to fix it since you can access GodMode9. https://3ds.guide/ctrtransfer

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Bubblegoose90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It says:

Enable loading external FIRMs and system modules.

This isn't needed in most cases.

Refer to the wiki for instructions.

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It says:

Enable loading external FIRMs and system modules.

This isn't needed in most cases.

Refer to the wiki for instructions.
Your issue is very likely just a software issue.
First, since you're 100% still on A9LH, follow this guide. Then, if you still have the issue, follow this troubleshooting guide

Last edited by lAkdaOpeKA,
Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Bubblegoose90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I'm trying your method as it was simpler than zacci's. Anyway, after step 13, the option for scripts is not there. I got to step 15 manually but when I press A for gm9megascript, it just gives me a hexeditor option. Scripts from plailects guide is just not there. But everything worked perfectly up to step 13. Am I missing a file? Nothing I downloaded from github has had everything.... can you leave a link for what I'm missing?

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ok, I'm trying your method as it was simpler than zacci's. Anyway, after step 13, the option for scripts is not there. I got to step 15 manually but when I press A for gm9megascript, it just gives me a hexeditor option. Scripts from plailects guide is just not there. But everything worked perfectly up to step 13. Am I missing a file? Nothing I downloaded from github has had everything.... can you leave a link for what I'm missing?
That's why you need to follow what I linked.
You're running such an old Godmode9 version you can't follow that CTRtransfer guide.
You need to update first (first link in my post), then follow the troubleshooting steps in order (second link in my post), because a CTRtransfer is one of the last things to try

Last edited by lAkdaOpeKA,

Bubblegoose90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's why you need to follow what I linked.
You're running such an old Godmode9 version you can't follow that CTRtransfer guide.
You need to update first (first link in my post), then follow the troubleshooting steps in order (second link in my post), because a CTRtransfer is one of the last things to try
I can't update anything as it only loads in gm exolorer and im limited to my phone as far as internet. I got started on your method but I still need safeb9installer.bin file. I have everything else I need other than WiFi

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I can't update anything as it only loads in gm exolorer and im limited to my phone as far as internet. I got started on your method but I still need safeb9installer.bin file. I have everything else I need other than WiFi
The SafeB9SInstaller file is only 607kb, it doesn't consume much data. Although note that you do need to redownload everything linked in that page, even stuff you already have (eg Godmode9), since you need the updated version of everything

Bubblegoose90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The SafeB9SInstaller file is only 607kb, it doesn't consume much data. Although note that you do need to redownload everything linked in that page, even stuff you already have (eg Godmode9), since you need the updated version of everything

I did but none of the files were in the the folders linked in the guide. For instance, safeb9installer zip link did not have a bin file. It has 2xrsa, Brahma loader, cake hax, and more folders, as well as some loose files like gitignore, link.id and others. No .bin file in any of the folders and every zip file I've downloaded has been the same way.

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I did but none of the files were in the the folders linked in the guide. For instance, safeb9installer zip link did not have a bin file. It has 2xrsa, Brahma loader, cake hax, and more folders, as well as some loose files like gitignore, link.id and others. No .bin file in any of the folders and every zip file I've downloaded has been the same way.
You're downloading the wrong files, most likely the source code files. Those aren't what you need, if you download the right files you'll find everything you need

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

files.PNG

Bubblegoose90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're downloading the wrong files, most likely the source code files. Those aren't what you need, if you download the right files you'll find everything you need
Hmmmm.... Well maybe it's just my crappy phone. I'll take my laptop to my father in law's house tomorrow and see if that does any better. I just don't see any download links unless I go to "tags" and there's a zip file. Maybe the desktop version in chrome will help.

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hmmmm.... Well maybe it's just my crappy phone. I'll take my laptop to my father in law's house tomorrow and see if that does any better. I just don't see any download links unless I go to "tags" and there's a zip file. Maybe the desktop version in chrome will help.
On mobile, you'll see something like this:
upload_2018-9-13_19-47-53.png

You have to click on the "> Assets" text, and you'll get the list of files. You're kinda right imo, the mobile GitHub layout had me confused too the first times I used it

Bubblegoose90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On mobile, you'll see something like this:
View attachment 143156

You have to click on the "> Assets" text, and you'll get the list of files. You're kinda right imo, the mobile GitHub layout had me confused too the first times I used it

Well gm updated to v1.7 but that's all that loads when I hold start. No safeb9 installer. I just downloaded the appropriate file now that I understand what to do. So any ideas? I literally can't even perform the first step

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well gm updated to v1.7 but that's all that loads when I hold start. No safeb9 installer. I just downloaded the appropriate file now that I understand what to do. So any ideas? I literally can't even perform the first step
Have you placed SafeB9SInstaller.bin in sd:/luma/payloads/ ? And have you updated to Luma 7.0.5 (extract the arm9loaderhax.bin file to the root of the SD, overwriting the existing one)?

Bubblegoose90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. It still loads in gm. Everything is fresh as I did have all this stuff backed up. It's been about a year since i did this. So all new downloads. I followed the guide you linked exactly. Now gm is updated but that's all.

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yes. It still loads in gm. Everything is fresh as I did have all this stuff backed up. It's been about a year since i did this. So all new downloads. I followed the guide you linked exactly. Now gm is updated but that's all.
When you hold select while powering on the console, on the top screen, what version does Luma3DS report?

Bubblegoose90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It says:
If enabled an EmuNAND
will be launched on boot.

Otherwise, SysNAND will.

Hold L on boot to switch NAND.

To use a different emunand from the default, hold a directional pad button up down left right equal emynands 1 2 3 4

And I tried all four and it always says stack dump and endless lines of numbers

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It says:
If enabled an EmuNAND
will be launched on boot.

Otherwise, SysNAND will.

Hold L on boot to switch NAND.

To use a different emunand from the default, hold a directional pad button up down left right equal emynands 1 2 3 4

And I tried all four and it always says stack dump and endless lines of numbers
There should be a cyan string of text on the top screen, look closely (or even better take a photo)

Bubblegoose90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I added the picture, buy no cyan text at all. Some yellow at the bottom...

And directional pad load

And holding start

Attachments

• 1536865042903.jpg
    1536865042903.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 86
  • 1536865174000.jpg
    1536865174000.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 1536865245086.jpg