Hardware How powerful does the WiiU have to be for you to be satisfied with it?

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 23,296
  • Replies 265

How powerful does the WiiU have to be for you to be satisfied with it?

• At least on-par with the PS3/360.

Votes: 58 23.4%
  • About a half-step above the PS3/360.

Votes: 113 45.6%
  • Significantly more powerful than the PS3/360 (1.1TFLOPS+)

Votes: 77 31.0%

• Total voters

AntiPhotonz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You should be allowed to change the internal HDD like a PS3. and put something like a gtx460 in it because it's a good card even though it's a couple years old.

Edit. it needs to be powerful enough to run unreal 4.

Gaiaknight

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The controller is putting me off, seems like a good idea with some really lousy execution. Odds are the power won't matter to me at this point but it doesn't feel powerful enough to me. If the next Xbox and Playstation turn out to be equal crapshoots then I'll just go to the PC.

EDIT: Also I forgot to mention that Nintendo first parties really don't interest me as much anymore.
thats how i felt about first parry games during the gamecube era but the wii made me enjoy them again so who knows you might end up surprised by the first party content on the wiiu

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The controller is putting me off, seems like a good idea with some really lousy execution.
I usually agree with you as far as hardware is concerned, but I personally think the design of the controller is almost spot-on. My only real concern is its weight, but if that is relatively under wraps (besides, you usually play sitting down anyways, so you can rest it on your laps) then it's basically "perfect".

JMD8N.jpg

The grip is anatomically-shaped, the extension port is dead-center so that it's not in the way of the grip, the speakers are stereo and on the bottom so that they're never covered by your thumbs or palms, the camera is where it's supposed to be, the D-Pad appears to be of high-quality and it's on the perfect spot as well. My only problems which are somewhat subjective are the sliders which should be replaced by proper sticks since it's *not* a portable, the position of the right-hand slider and control buttons which should probably be inverted as the main focus of the right hand are the function buttons, not the slider (however I need to hold it myself to really be sure whether this is an issue or not) and the lower triggers as I'm uncertain whether they're analog triggers or simple buttons. Other then that, rarely do I say those words, top-notch "Nintendo" quality of design.

Advice for the future, Nintendo? Rotatable camera area. Angles are important - not everyone's going to keep the controller at the same angle, it's not hard to implement that. Even the Go!Cam has it.

250px-Go!Cam.jpg

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
. My only problems which are somewhat subjective are the sliders which should be replaced by proper sticks since it's *not* a portable,
in that case, "circle pad" doesn't sound a very accurate description... sawed off analog nubs might be a better name? :-p
:P
Advice for the future, Nintendo? Rotatable camera area. Angles are important - not everyone's going to keep the controller at the same angle, it's not hard to implement that. Even the Go!Cam has it.
Even more money for something pretty trivial?

People on the floor said it was comfortable and it would most likely get a stand, so I have no worry about the weight.

I'm kinda disappointed that it doesn't make my toast tho, then it would have excellent execution.

Alaude

Trophies
XP
Country
India
what i want the WiiU's to do, even though nintendo seems to be having trouble rivaling the x360's and ps3's graphics, all i want the WiiU to do is to give good quality titles and not some crap. what i'm trying to say is i want it to be unique in its own way.

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
@[member='KingVamp']

I don't think that asking for putting the part containing the camera and the IR sensors on one simple bearing is too much to ask and if it enhances the comfort of use and costs visually nothing, but that's just nit-picking. My point is that as usual Nintendo comes up with an unusual but somewhat familiar, approachable controller which is what I applaud. I really *like* Nintendo controllers (with the exception of the N64 one which was really more like of a batarang unless the target audience was people with three arms or really well-stretched fingers and yes, I am aware that the user was supposed to switch handles when needs be, but in my opinion all the buttons need to be accessible and in reach of the average user) because they're comfortable without sacrificing functionality. As much as I would like to see normal analog sticks on it, I am willing to look past that and focus on the positives as there are many.

As for the games selection, I have no doubt that the combination of first and second party with the third party lured in by the sheer power of the system will be more than sufficient and entirely satisfactionary.

JN_big3

Trophies
XP
Country
It will be better than the current consoles. It would be a real shame if it isn't stronger than the XBOX 360, PS3 and especially the Wii.

Also, good games are the ones that makes the console powerful not much of the Specs. Look at the Gamecube, it had great games which made it way better that the PS2 and XBOX . If the Wii U will release excellent games, it will be f*cking better than the XBOX 360, PS3 and Wii.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It will be better than the current consoles. It would be a real shame if it isn't stronger than the XBOX 360, PS3 and especially the Wii.

Also, good games are the ones that makes the console powerful not much of the Specs. Look at the Gamecube, it had great games which made it way better that the PS2 and XBOX . If the Wii U will release excellent games, it will be f*cking better than the XBOX 360, PS3 and Wii.

Gamecube totally destroyed the PS2 in raw power output, PS2 had a better library however.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yeah, people never seem to understand that the wii was an exception among nintendos latest consoles, as n64 and cube were better than their at that time sony concurrence when it comes to power. n64 had other problems, mainly the carts that were used with the limited space.
microsoft swooped in and took them both out, as far as power goes, but thats to be expected from someone joining in late and building a pc console.

now, as i always say, it cant get that much better than hd anyway, so whatever...

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country

Gamecube totally destroyed the PS2 in raw power output, PS2 had a better library however.
A better library indeed, no matter which one you preferred.
While the Wii U could be the next-gen underdog (although no were near how the Wii was) there are many other factors other than power that attracts third parties.

The PS2 for example was not as powerful as the competing systems but it still got great third party support, that is because it was cheap, doubled as a DVD, had USB support, had games like the EyeToy, it was easy to pirate games for and lastly, it had backwards compatibility.

The Wii U has the potential to improve in many areas for the mainstream gamer, not only in the graphics department.
If the Wii had hardware and online comparable to the other current-gen systems it could have been a second PS2 in terms of developer support.

More power does not automatically bring more developers.
Remember that developing costs are going to be incredibly high next-gen, that is for games that actually will take full advantage of these systems.

That said the Wii U still has to be a at least a half-step above PS360, something that I don't doubt it will be or surpass considering the newer tech involved.

Naridar

Excelsior!
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
It should be able to run games like Crysis 2 at the PC's "Maximum" settings in native 1080p with at least 30FPS. I'm not sure how powerful it needs to be for that, but about 50% stronger than the PS3 would most likely be enough.

10_0ARMY

THE *Original* 1 Man Army
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't care about the power specs as long as the graphics and stability in games is done well. I can't stand framerate drop in games and Nintendo already knows how to get gameplay down, now it's time for graphics. I just don't want a repeat of this gen where the Microsoft and Sony consoles are so much more powerful than Nintendo's.

Reactions: 3 people
D

Deleted User

OP
It should be able to run games like Crysis 2 at the PC's "Maximum" settings in native 1080p with at least 30FPS. I'm not sure how powerful it needs to be for that, but about 50% stronger than the PS3 would most likely be enough.
Considering you need a 250 dollar graphics card to do that, I doubt it. Crysis 2 at max needs a 680 to run it at 60+ fps

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Considering you need a 250 dollar graphics card to do that, I doubt it. Crysis 2 at max needs a 680 to run it at 60+ fps
Primo, huge companies buy massive amounts of GPU's in one go - the price is far lower compared to a card found on a store shelf. Secundo, the console manufacturer and the graphics chip manufacturer usually have a licensing deal further lowering the costs - a simple sticker on the console is already advertisement for the GPU company, even those details matter. Ultimo, neither Sony nor Microsoft were ever scared of releasing hardware with $500 pricetags, I doubt that the situation has changed.

Still, the difference will not be significant simply because to achieve a significant difference they would really have to shelf out a lot of them green lincolns and sell their hardware at a loss, which is never the ideal situation.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
Ultimo, neither Sony nor Microsoft were ever scared of releasing hardware with $500 pricetags, I doubt that the situation has changed.
Sony suffered massive losses thanks to how unprofitable the PS3 was in its first couple of years. They're not going to release consoles like those again. This time around, Sony is going to be looking for a GPU that is both economical and powerful at the same time.

lol, keep dreaming.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just really want the system to be on par with the next gen sony and microsoft system that are inevitably coming out around the same time (they'll almost certainly be unveiled at e3 this year and they're probably kind of pissed that nintendo got the jump on them). Anyway, if it can be a match for the other two big boys then the third parties are going to flock to it and we will actually have more than just kiddy games on the nintendo system. I still have a feeling tha thte xbox is still going to have the superior network (the nintendo network is only starting to get better now) and the playstation is still going to have it's normal exclusives.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.