Hardware How powerful does the WiiU have to be for you to be satisfied with it?

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 23,288
  • Replies 265

How powerful does the WiiU have to be for you to be satisfied with it?

• At least on-par with the PS3/360.

Votes: 58 23.4%
  • About a half-step above the PS3/360.

Votes: 113 45.6%
  • Significantly more powerful than the PS3/360 (1.1TFLOPS+)

Votes: 77 31.0%

• Total voters

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I am not saying I don't want the system to be powerful, but I just never cared about the power of the system. I have always gamed to enjoy the games, not the system.
I wouldn't mind seeing the Wii for once get games that weren't broken down versions of the others for once. But still I just want to enjoy a game for being a game and if that means I can't enjoy it on my wii, it's no big deal to me, I will enjoy it on the system it works better on.

Reactions: 5 people
D

Deleted_171835

OP
With all the discussion about the Wii U's power, I'm curious as to how powerful you guys would like the Wii U to be. Do you want it to be much more powerful than the PS3/360 or would you be okay if it was on-par? Or even a half-step above like the PS1->Dreamcast?
How 'bout you?
1PFLOP GPU/CPU. But seriously, a half-step would be fine with me provided that it gets multi-platform releases. If it doesn't, eh I'll still get it but I'll get another console later on (and perhaps upgrade my PC).

Dreamcast is not a half-step over the PS1 - Dreamcast is comparable with the PS2, easily. It just didn't have enough time to show off its potential.
Eh, well I meant more-so that the PS2 and Dreamcast would be "half-steps" while the Xbox would be comparable to a full leap.
BTW, the PS2 had a superior CPU to the Dreamcast. ; )

Most people think that if the Wii U doesn't have OMFG graphics, it will fail comparable to the next Playstation or Xbox, however, people need to understand that there can't be that much of an improvement, at most the PS3 and 360 will have comparable graphics to what our PC's (well, the good spec ones) are currently capable of, consoles are a step behind the consoles in graphical power and that's something that won't change any time soon. The WiiU needs to be powerful, I'll say 1.5 compared to the PS3 (the top console in terms of graphics atm), however still inferior to what our PC's "could" offer.
What I seriously hope that the WiiU will have is a good, free online service, maybe communities online and stuff like that, and make sure to always have a "Mute" button ready to use in online game modes, like CoD or similar. <.<"
The one thing that the 3DS currently lacks that would make me really love my 3DS is a decent OS (kinda like the 360 one, before it was filled with this metro crap, and without so much spam), and an even better internet service, swapnotes is fun, but it's more like an email, not really designed for 'on-the go chat', while you're playing other games, or the Friends thingy, Mii's are pretty ok, but friend codes sucks, it'd be great to be able to add people just by their nicknames and like instant chat with them (it already allows us to join an online game that a friend is playing, so that part is pretty good). Also, the OS is just secondary, obviously consoles don't really need an OS, but heck, currently everything has an OS, so if you make one, at least make a damn good one. xP

Edit: That was longer than I intended. .-."
My lord, why do people keep saying this? We have not reached any graphical limit. The PS3/360 are outdated pieces of tech and can be improved upon a lot. I'm tired of arguing this. Just wait until all of the next-gen consoles are unveiled and you see the tech demos.

Reactions: 2 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Dreamcast is not a half-step over the PS1 - Dreamcast is comparable with the PS2, easily. It just didn't have enough time to show off its potential.
Eh, well I meant more-so that the PS2 and Dreamcast would be "half-steps" while the Xbox would be comparable to a full leap.
BTW, the PS2 had a superior CPU to the Dreamcast. ; )
Only ever-so-slightly while the Dreamcast offered an extensive Online infrastructure out of the box, 4 controllers out of the box and comparable graphics capabilities (Quake III was released for both consoles and looks pretty much the same). :)

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Most people think that if the Wii U doesn't have OMFG graphics, it will fail comparable to the next Playstation or Xbox
Well not exactly fail, more like follow in Wii's footsteps: sell more consoles than the competition, but be branded an underpowered "casual" machine and be doomed to party games and Imagine titles (GENERALIZING HERE).

I am not saying I don't want the system to be powerful, but I just never cared about the power of the system. I have always gamed to enjoy the games, not the system. I wouldn't mind seeing the Wii for once get games that weren't broken down versions of the others for once. But still I just want to enjoy a game for being a game and if that means I can't enjoy it on my wii, it's no big deal to me, I will enjoy it on the system it works better on.
The problem here is the situation on the current game market. Publishers want the most return on their investment, so they push (lazy) ports and multiplatform titles, that cover the greatest target market with minimum work, and if a console isn't powerful enough to allow for easy porting, it will get left behind (talking in general here again). It's not a problem for a gamer that has all consoles, but it's a problem for the console in question.

Reactions: 1 person

Gaiaknight

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i would be happy with it being a little but more powerful than the ps3 and 360 about 30% more powerful to be exact
Then I think you'll be pretty satisfied. 400 (PS3 GPU) x .30 = 120. 520GFLOPS is easily attainable.
you do realize rumors put the wiiu at 50% more powerful than the 360 right?

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I would obviously like a system powerful enough to match next-gen ms/sony systems, but I would still be interested in it if A: it upscaled wii/gc (it won't,) B: they sell a cheap Wii-U without the tablet so I can use my 3DS instead (Doubt this will happen,) or C: I see more interesting 2 screen ideas.

Gaiaknight

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i would be happy with it being a little but more powerful than the ps3 and 360 about 30% more powerful to be exact
Then I think you'll be pretty satisfied. 400 (PS3 GPU) x .30 = 120. 520GFLOPS is easily attainable.
you do realize rumors put the wiiu at 50% more powerful than the 360 right?
And?
so that means that 30% should be easily attainable especially with the rumors putting it at 50%

D

Deleted_171835

OP
so that means that 30% should be easily attainable especially with the rumors putting it at 200gflops
Err, no rumour has put the GPU at 200GFLOPS. That would make it weaker than the 360/PS3. And arbitrary terms such as '50% more powerful' don't mean anything. More powerful in what? I was saying that the Wii U would satisfy your initial expectations (assuming you're referring to the GPU).

Gaiaknight

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
so that means that 30% should be easily attainable especially with the rumors putting it at 200gflops
Err, no rumour has put the GPU at 200GFLOPS. That would make it weaker than the 360/PS3. And arbitrary terms such as '50% more powerful' don't mean anything. More powerful in what? I was saying that the Wii U would satisfy your initial expectations (assuming you're referring to the GPU).
if you look i editied my post cause i typed it wrong

D

Deleted_171835

OP
if you look i editied my post cause i typed it wrong
The rumour says '50%' which doesn't really mean anything. I'm actually referring to the FLOPS. But anyways.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The current setup is perfectly fine, although I would probably add some more RAM so that it's a nice, round 1 gig simply because I have a round number fetish. :P
Inside sources over on neogaf seem to indicate Nintendo wants to target 2GB RAM for retail release, dev kits are rumoured to be using 3GB RAM, even that has been upgraded in the newer set of dev kits apparently. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least 1.5GB RAM at the final release. I posted an article where a third party dev said Wii-U has much more RAM than current gen.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
Large internal memory storage. I'm not buying another dedicated USB sitck, SD card, External HDD, etc. for a Nintendo product ever again.
You would rather a $100+ increase in cost instead of buying your own HDD/SD card?

The current setup is perfectly fine, although I would probably add some more RAM so that it's a nice, round 1 gig simply because I have a round number fetish. :P
Inside sources over on neogaf seem to indicate Nintendo wants to target 2GB RAM for retail release, dev kits are rumoured to be using 3GB RAM, even that has been upgraded in the newer set of dev kits apparently. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least 1.5GB RAM at the final release. I posted an article where a third party dev said Wii-U has much more RAM than current gen.
I read the same speculation thread and it's likely that the Wii U will have 1.5GB of RAM. There's even one rumour that says there will be 512MB of RAM dedicated to the OS which would allow for some crazy things. In comparison, the 360 OS uses 32MB of RAM.

And since I'm talking about the thread, apparently the Wii U GPU will be below 1TFLOP but significantly more powerful than the PS3/360. A half-step you may say.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Large internal memory storage. I'm not buying another dedicated USB sitck, SD card, External HDD, etc. for a Nintendo product ever again.
You would rather a $100+ increase in cost instead of buying your own HDD/SD card?

I read the same speculation thread and it's likely that the Wii U will have 1.5GB of RAM. There's even one rumour that says there will be 512MB of RAM dedicated to the OS which would allow for some crazy things. In comparison, the 360 OS uses 32MB of RAM.

And since I'm talking about the thread, apparently the Wii U GPU will be below 1TFLOP but significantly more powerful than the PS3/360. A half-step you may say.

Also the same thread says it will be 4 cores, but one of the cores is fully dedicated to the OS. Talk about leaving so much for the OS, so perhaps Nintendo has something up their sleeves. E3 shall probably shed us some light.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I will only accept anything "half a step up" from the current consoles if and only if Nintendo is planning on playing the price game. It could easily be in Nintendo's best interest to make a cheap to produce, slightly underpowered system, and then sell it for $200 less than everybody else is selling theirs. On-par with current gen is completely unacceptable, but anyone with half a brain knows it won't go down like that

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The controller is putting me off, seems like a good idea with some really lousy execution. Odds are the power won't matter to me at this point but it doesn't feel powerful enough to me. If the next Xbox and Playstation turn out to be equal crapshoots then I'll just go to the PC.

EDIT: Also I forgot to mention that Nintendo first parties really don't interest me as much anymore.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.