How much has your NDS suffered and still ticks?

Takrin

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Was wondering what the worse shape a DS can be while being 100% playable. figured i'd post some pictures of mine to start with since it has a mischievous owner poking at it for fun.

1. It has suffered a minor hinge crack 2 cracks comming from oposite side trying to meet
2. Crack next to gba slot where the plastic gets slimmer on headset side
3. Fuses blown (and shorted with a peice of wire)
3. power slider broke off (jerry rigged)
4. Firmware Corruption about 3-4 times.

the cracks i have no idea where they came from, maybe from drops and hinge prob from normal wear

the fuse was blown when i was experimenting with a nds charger trying to use CR123A 3v x2
mainly because i wired the voltage regulator wrong

power slider was quite funny actually, i dropped it then turned it on to see if it worked, then it worked fine so i tried to turn it off and found it wouldnt turn off, the slider broke off and now its a button.
Pictures of button
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k162/Red_Nepenthes/248.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k162/Red_Nepenthes/252.jpg

firmware corruption from first installing flashme then trying to remove with old noflashme, then trying out other firmware to see how it was, and another time i forgot to plug it into the wall, just plugged the ds side and like a idiot i tried to flash lol

dont laugh at my antenne booster, even if it doesnt work least the thought of it working is worth it
cool.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Impressive, I doubt I could beat that but:
My DS (old style) was cracked along the hinges (and superglued back together).
Bent a pin in the DS slot, later fatigued it trying to bend it back (I wanted to do it without disassembly) so I pulled some of the excess up, works fine to this day.
Superglue (unrelated to above) covering the pins, solder heated that off and left myself with an righteous headache.
No spring in the DS slot anymore courtesy of me being lazy with the repair.
Dropped from fair height numerous occasions (and fallen upon when it has been in bags).
I took a chunk off the PCB surface when attempting to open up the ds slot case (they must use some weird solder on those things as it took ages to heat).
Screen survived my ghetto stylus consisting of electrical tape and a watchmakers screwdriver, also survived my tungsten rod that would have been my stylus before I put a plastic nib on (to be fair though I was not playing a stylus heavy game when I did that).
Sat right next to a stupidly powerful neodymium magnet (I could mess badly with CRT monitor/TV from about 40 cm away using it) for about 10 hours before I realised, lesser magnets have also been around for extended periods.
Survived my experiments in creating a self contained passme1 although some of the ill effects already listed "may" have been caused by it.
Never had any firmware issues but I am fairly careful with my homebrew (not checking it just from where I get it).
Survived me using a screwdriver to wedge out the lite sized EZ4 until I used tape and later remade the case.
Survived all the little kids and their astonishment of my game collection consisting of a fair few games.

That is all minor stuff though compared to my friends old brick GB: he ran on 12V for about a year and a half (in full pokemon addiction mode) before the screen died, even then the GB would still boot.

Lacrimosa

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
ohmy.gif

Damn, I could never imagine that ds can handle THAT much.
unsure.gif

I have mine for about nine months and it's like new. No falls, no liquids...nothing.

Now I'm sure that if it falls off someday, nothing serious can happen (at least I have many chances to believe that it will not break apart).
tongue.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
My DS Phat is losing paint manly.

I've noticed that strong magnets actually turn my DS off. After a few tries to determine if it really was the magnets and not some random powerdown fluke, I stored them several rooms away from my DS and I'm not interested in further experimenting, because this freaked me out.

BoneMonkey

The cheese stash is a lie.
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i saw a NDS lite fall out of a guys pocket hit the concreat sidewalk bounce hit the sidewalk again and it STILL WORKED FINE !

all scracthed up and a white piec of the case missing BUT still worked lol

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@veho it should not power it down but activate sleep mode instead: when you shut the lid the magnet in the speaker trips a switch (on the old style DS on the right in normal holding position) sending it into sleep mode.

Takrin

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow, i just thought i got lucky with my ds not breaking completely guess it was made that way. i heard some ds's screen goes dead once dropped, does this occur often?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill