Hacking how is the hacking of the wii u going?

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
He is referring to the disks being custom/modified versions of blurays, that we can't burn.
but wasn't this the same with gamecube and with wii? and dreamcast? sure they are different consoles but they all had 'non standard' disks right?

i mean, i just wanted to know if he was being negative, like people used to say that there will never be usb gamecube loading on wii etc, or if it is actually impossible that burned disks cannot be read (as in, the laser can only physically read the special disks made by nintendo etc, and nothing else)

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
but wasn't this the same with gamecube and with wii? and dreamcast? sure they are different consoles but they all had 'non standard' disks right?

i mean, i just wanted to know if he was being negative, like people used to say that there will never be usb gamecube loading on wii etc, or if it is actually impossible that burned disks cannot be read (as in, the laser can only physically read the special disks made by nintendo etc, and nothing else)

Later versions of the Wii were also incapable of reading burned disks no matter how much you modded them. Putting a burned disk or even a retail DVD or DVD-ROM in the drive it's the same as putting a circular piece of cardboard in. The drive just has no idea what to do with it.

Reactions: Ray Lewis

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Later versions of the Wii were also incapable of reading burned disks no matter how much you modded them. Putting a burned disk or even a retail DVD or DVD-ROM in the drive it's the same as putting a circular piece of cardboard in. The drive just has no idea what to do with it.

oh yeah, i forgot about that :) that it was the fact that nintendo let the possibility of dvd playing in the wii, which was used to get the burnt disk to load, or something like that, adn then they removed that later on.

but still, it is confirmed that the wiiu cannot/will not be able to load burnt disks, just like the newer wiis cannot?

Chujowski

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia

good, it'll keep me from finding random disks around my house if this stays true to the wii-u. you can get a 4tb hdd for $180 and have the entire wii-u game collection in the palm of your hands.

Code:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178338

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Bumping this thread because Wiikey just posted this to their news:

2013-07-15: Wiikey U update

Its been a while and we have been hard at work at the Wiikey U hardware. WiiU encrypts the data sent from the drive with AES-CBC-128. We have now fully integrated an AES core into the FPGA and it is operating at the same speed as the drive. We've had a setback with another component though, and we are now testing alternatives. Hopefully we will have another update in a few more weeks.

mike333

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Bumping this thread because Wiikey just posted this to their news:

2013-07-15: Wiikey U update

Its been a while and we have been hard at work at the Wiikey U hardware. WiiU encrypts the data sent from the drive with AES-CBC-128. We have now fully integrated an AES core into the FPGA and it is operating at the same speed as the drive. We've had a setback with another component though, and we are now testing alternatives. Hopefully we will have another update in a few more weeks.
Just two more weeks™

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it does. I need my money to buy games like MarioKart, and Super Luigi U. I don't have money to buy games like Jeopardy and NBA2k13. And how are you supposed to try out new games if they don't have a demo? Most games don't have demos. So if a third party game comes out that I've never player before, how do I know if it's worth it?
You try them out by buying them; but now, you should be able to determine what games are crap and what ones are worth getting. They don't make games like they used to anymore, so now you've got to pick through them.

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
This is so typical, why new members only make threads asking about hacks either on the 3DS or Wii U?
For fuck sake the Wii U only has a few months on this world and you're already asking for Wii U hacks? Go buy the games yourself.

[
Why are people talking about the wiiu's dvd drive? Usbloaders are the way to go anyway...

''so you don't have to use v-wii and use burned discs.''

ddrrmm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go buy the games yourself.
?
who are you to tell people this? why visit the hacking section? why even visit gbatemp? this place used to live and breathe piracy before you even joined
so please stop trying to tell others (especially in the hacking section) how they should or shouldn't feel about piracy.we can decide for ourselves.

''so you don't have to use v-wii and use burned discs.''
and no, this is about an ODE to run wiiu backups.

Reactions: f0rCe

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
?
who are you to tell people this? why visit the hacking section? why even visit gbatemp? this place used to live and breathe piracy before you even joined
so please stop trying to tell others (especially in the hacking section) how they should or shouldn't feel about piracy.we can decide for ourselves.

and no, this is about an ODE to run wiiu backups.

>Implies GBATemp was made only for piracy.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Why are people talking about the wiiu's dvd drive? Usbloaders are the way to go anyway...
Because a USB loader would restore require the OS to be modified, you know, softmodded, which hasn't publicly happened.

EDIT: Dumb word.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "BS" stands for "Bowel Scraping" because that's what whole grain does.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge