How Important Are Achievements To You?

How do you feel about achievements/trophies?

• I live for achievements!

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I could go either way. They do add something to the game, but I can live without them.

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • I hate them!

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't used to care about achievements or trophies, but I did go two generations without playing much. my original account was banned about five years ago, so all those achievements and trophies are no more. I'm trying to get them now unless they're exceptionally time-consuming. it's one reason I mostly buy playstation or xbox for third party stuff instead of nintendo now.

Reactions: CoolMe and x65943

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haven't played a game where they added to the experience much

But that said, I like the idea of the retro achievements (emulation) and I think those can really breathe life into a game you have played to death

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haven't played a game where they added to the experience much

But that said, I like the idea of the retro achievements (emulation) and I think those can really breathe life into a game you have played to death
I'm currently playing wild arms for the ps5. apparently, wild arms 2 comes out in a few days. I like playing these old games, just to see these achievements. I've beaten both on the original playstation 20+ years ago, but I remember almost nothing, so they're like new games to me.

Reactions: x65943

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I hate most achievements in games that are given to you. Like when you start a new game on PS4, you get trophies for just playing the game like picking up the first weapon you're given, getting your first kill, etc. Those are useless "achievements". Give me more achievements like the one in Half-Life 2: Episode 2, where you have to carry a literal god-damn lawn gnome with you throughout the duration of the game and launch it into space at the end. Now THAT is an achievement worth getting.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I generally think they add replay value to a game and if I really like a game, I'll often go back to get achievements I missed after beating a game, if they aren't too difficult to get. Some games make achievements way too easy to get, some make them near impossible to get requiring you to be a professional speedrunner or hiding them in really obscure places in a long game that you can't go back and get, you have to start the entire 50+ hour game over from the beginning. Don't have patience for that.
It's a shame Nintendo consoles don't have achievements, some games implement achievements in the game engine anyway, but the achievements are localized to that game (and your save file) which makes it less fun to me. I like being able to compare my achievements to others' on Steam.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Active dislike. They have influenced game design in negative ways and the world would be better off without them. Most notably in basically stopping cheats being a thing in games.

Small challenges within the game that maybe reward alternative play, good play or even force people out of gameplay loops that could be boring (but effective). Different matter entirely.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to care about achievements alot in the 360 era, now i don't, just an unnecessary waste of time.. If i'm done with a game, then i'm done. If i completed the main-story and wanted to complete other side quests, challenges etc. because i happen to like the game? I wouldn't mind gaining achievements along the way *unwillingly* (though they won't the focus)..

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I voted I hate them, although I’m yet to try them out on retroarch. The only reason I voted that is because how dumb they can be, I barely play games with them anyway. Can’t recall what games but how can this be considered an achievement starting a game or beating a level. Something like that shouldn’t be part of a list of achievements.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo