Hacking Question How high is the ban risk for nand restoring?

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
You would if your onboard eMMC chip failed or developed errors. My first 3DS was bricked by an official update and had to be returned to GameStop 1 week after I bought it.
That's why there is a 2 or more year warranty (if you don't violate the EULA).

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

BloodRose

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
using unauthorized software is probably in the user agreement. though, I don't really remember signing one. maybe I did when I made the account on the computer? anyway, I got banned on the ps3, and the exact wording there was: "pirated or unauthorized software has been detected on this system" blah, blah, blah. Nintendo is within their right to ban you. online services are a privilege, not a right, just like driving, so it can be taken away from you for breaking the rules.

Pirating software is a totally different thing from backing up or restoring your system.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That's why there is a 2 or more year warranty.

There isn't a 2 year or more warranty. The standard warranty in most territories is 1 year.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean to outline unauthorized software. that's how they got me on the ps3 seeing as how I had no games after an hdd crash. all I had was multiman and webman mod updater.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, but what you're talking about is a slippery slope. regardless of what it was intended for, Nintendo might file that under unauthorized. I'm not saying I agree with it, but Nintendo might have a problem with it. :)

machinoman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Restoring nand is quite safe. AutoRCM is possibly detectable because it fudges with stuff in a violating-the-terms type way. Detection of RCM mode itself is irrelevant and is in no way linked to bans. RCM mode was by design. Any unauthorized changes made through it would be wiped out by a NAND restore, so there is literally no danger when doing so. To disagree is to not understand what RCM mode is and what it is for.

Last edited by machinoman,

Fonb420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a clean backup and am on cfw with a lot of backups installed on SD, what partitions do I need to backup to keep these titles installed, if I go back to clean nand and then want to go CFW and play my backuos? Thanks

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
i have a clean backup and am on cfw with a lot of backups installed on SD, what partitions do I need to backup to keep these titles installed, if I go back to clean nand and then want to go CFW and play my backuos? Thanks
User partition should be enough. But backing up boot1/0 won't hurt you (as they are so small anyway). Simply said, go with full backup ;).

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the safest way to not get banned.
But Nintendo can detect RCM mode (but isn't doing so for now).
Any proof of that statement? Because in order for RCM use to be detected bootrom would have to have RCM logging built in. You can't log RCM use from HOS because RCM loads prior to HOS loading. It would need to be bootrom logging RCM use, which I'm doubtful it does.

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Any proof of that statement? Because in order for RCM use to be detected bootrom would have to have RCM logging built in. You can't log RCM use from HOS because RCM loads prior to HOS loading. It would need to be bootrom logging RCM use, which I'm doubtful it does.
Get some proof in Reswitched discord.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No that's not right. That depends on the store you buy it from.
It's not up to the store. It's a manufacturer warranty. All stores do is confirm the purchase of the device with Nintendo and this activates the warranty.
Unless you break it intentionally and send to nintendo repair once you pay they give you 1 yr warranty
...why on earth would you break your device just to extend their already meager warranty...?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Get some proof in Reswitched discord.
You have the burden of proof for stating it. You give them proof.

Last edited by Pluupy,

tides

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bans for using NAND tools would be against the right to repair IMHO which might be a legal hot potato in the US atm but certainly remains legal in Europe and Nintendo's home market of Japan. You are not doing them or their network any harm by backing up your onboard eMMC.

I would be extremely surprised if anyone was banned for this or if it was even legal to ban someone for this.

pls stop giving legal advice if you're not a lawyer and you obviously have zero knowledge about the law.

courts destroy EULA and contracts on a daily basis just FYI.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!