Question How high is the ban risk for nand restoring?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by milomc123, Aug 9, 2018.

1. milomc123
    OP

milomc123 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2018
    Ireland
    In the infinity stone
  2. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    This is the safest way to not get banned.
    But Nintendo can detect RCM mode (but isn't doing so for now).

milomc123 likes this.
  3. milomc123
    OP

milomc123 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2018
    Ireland
    In the infinity stone
    Okay thanks! :yayswitch:

4. jaysea

jaysea GBAtemp Regular

Aug 17, 2009
    Netherlands
    AutoRCM is to be detected, but RCM mode itself is before running Horizon, so I do not see how Nintendo can detect this.

5. Kubas_inko

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    Totaly makes sense /s

jaysea and milomc123 like this.
  6. hipmp5

hipmp5 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2018
    Qatar
    ATM there is no one banned for that and it is the safest way to do it, unless switch was able somehow to detect that Fuseglee or RCM but i think it is kinda impossible because that stuff runs before the SO itself and it's a hardware flaw.

7. Kubas_inko

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    It is possible. Because if RCM payloads can access NAND RCM itself can too, so it can/is logging it.
    I don't know how it works, but all I know is, that it is detectable.
    Also, RCM is not a hardware flaw but a hardware feature. The only flaw in there was a bug, which allowed you to send data over USB thanks to overflowing something. So totally not a hardware bug but a software bug.

Last edited by Kubas_inko, Aug 9, 2018
    veddermandan likes this.
  8. BloodRose

BloodRose GBAtemp Regular

Jul 31, 2007
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Bans for using NAND tools would be against the right to repair IMHO which might be a legal hot potato in the US atm but certainly remains legal in Europe and Nintendo's home market of Japan. You are not doing them or their network any harm by backing up your onboard eMMC.

I would be extremely surprised if anyone was banned for this or if it was even legal to ban someone for this.

SirBeethoven likes this.
  9. Kubas_inko

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    LAW ≠ EULA.

10. aerios169

aerios169 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 30, 2012
    Mexico
    I did this 2 times, right now i am not banned but My nand is clean, so if you Will do this do it befor you hack anything

11. BloodRose

Jul 31, 2007
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    But the two are interlinked. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen for Nintendo and I very much doubt there's anything in the EULA about system recovery tools anyway.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

That's all well and good for your first one but then you need a new backup if/when you update to a new firmware.

In that scenario the process would need to be:

Restore / Update / Backup / CFW

Gets a lot more complicated if you want to backup and restore save data as well.

12. Kubas_inko

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    Because you violated EULA which you signed when buying Nintendos product, they can end their services/contract for you, thus banning you. And ending contract a is not against the law.
    BTW you are violating EULA just by booting hekate.

13. BloodRose

Jul 31, 2007
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    What section of the EULA is being violated here?

14. Kubas_inko

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    I never read it, but something about software modification.
    It makes total sense that any company would end the contract with you for modifying the product. They don't want to be connected with you when you do some serious sh!t.

15. BloodRose

Jul 31, 2007
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    It's not modification if you're just backing up and restoring the onboard storage. In many cases it's repair.

Each system contains unique data required for that machine to function. So therefore there are times when you would legitimately need to do this in order to protect your own investment especially if you live in a country like the US with shitty consumer protection legislation.

Quantumcat likes this.
  16. Kubas_inko

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    Using unauthorized software to accomplish it tho. That's the same principle.

17. BloodRose

Jul 31, 2007
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Then they should provide an official tool.

It's all relative though. I am confident that nobody can or will get banned for this. If all you did was backed up your NAND as a precaution and then stuck with official software and behaved yourself online then a ban would be an extremely tough sell.

18. Kubas_inko

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    They should, but why? If you won't go against their EULA, you would never have the need to backup your NAND or really ever boot to RCM.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

19. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    using unauthorized software is probably in the user agreement. though, I don't really remember signing one. maybe I did when I made the account on the computer? anyway, I got banned on the ps3, and the exact wording there was: "pirated or unauthorized software has been detected on this system" blah, blah, blah. Nintendo is within their right to ban you. online services are a privilege, not a right, just like driving, so it can be taken away from you for breaking the rules.

20. BloodRose

Jul 31, 2007
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    You would if your onboard eMMC chip failed or developed errors. My first 3DS was bricked by an official update and had to be returned to GameStop 1 week after I bought it.