Question How high is the ban risk for nand restoring?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by milomc123, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
    I would have to say your best bet is not do anything if you don't want to be banned. It's a game of "trying not to leave a footprint vs AI backed bloodhounds and algoritms" and it's a game everyone will eventually lose. So take a pill, relax, play some games and accept your eventual ban.

^^^^ this.

They can do pretty much anything they want. The Horizon firmware is "licensed" to you, you do not own it. If you don't like it you can kiss Reggie's ass stop using it. All you own is the hardware. And even though you own it, if you sign this agreement, Nintendo can brick it and render it useless at their discretion if used in an unauthorized manner. And they are not liable for anything that happens due to your unauthorized actions.
    And if you think you're safe in the EU think again.
    Switch EULA
    Source:
    https://www.nintendo.com/consumer/info/en_na/docs.jsp
    https://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp

Last edited by Mr. Wizard, Aug 9, 2018
  2. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I've got a question about repairs from Nintendo. if they were to send you a refurbished unit back, would they transfer all content, accounts, and settings to the new unit?

3. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
    From what I've read in the past on here about a year ago, they absolutely do transfer your user stuff to the refurb unit.

godreborn likes this.
  4. Canna

Canna GBAtemp Fan

Jul 14, 2018
    United Kingdom
    They wiped mine but this is uk...
    Reckon because of data protection or something.

Best bet just ask them when you send for repair

godreborn likes this.
  5. BloodRose

BloodRose GBAtemp Regular

Jul 31, 2007
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    And what do you do about save data?

6. Canna

Canna GBAtemp Fan

Jul 14, 2018
    United Kingdom
    i was thinking about this, no point having it back after a clean nand restore
    as you have to run some kind of home brew or hactoolor checkpoint and probably get detected

But i suppose if you make a backup of your naughty nand before you go back to your clean nand. once your done in clean go back to your naughty nand with the save files..

But this is hassle,
    Im not sure whats gonna happen but i made a backup of the clean nand when it come back from repair after they repaired it. im currently on a non clean nand and will try to go back to my clean if i require to play legit..

When i do this i will let everyone know if im banned but i highly doubt that.

7. Jalink9406

Jalink9406 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 27, 2017
    Mexico
    You could backup your "dirty nand" saves with Checkpoint BEFORE restoring "clean nand" and if you want to go back to dirty nand with old saves just restore them with Checkpoint after going offline again. I think this way would be much quicker than backing up/restoring "dirty nand" each time just to preserve saves. Also the less writings to nand the better.

8. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    it sounds like a lot of work not to get banned. I haven't hacked my system yet, been reading a lot though. I feel like one slip up and poof banned. that's one reason I've been waiting for things to progress a little more before deciding. :)

Last edited by godreborn, Aug 10, 2018
  9. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    RCM could be activated on accident, I really doubt they would ban based on this.

10. Pachee

Pachee GBAtemp Fan

Nov 3, 2015
    United States
    1 - Nintendo is not going to be deliberately bricking devices just because you broke their terms of service (no track of it/bad PR/can get sued for intentional damages). But if you do software modifications Nintendo wasn't expecting (nor they should), it is your responsibility to check for incompatibilities between updates.
    2 - Playing with homebrew, going online and sending Nintendo logs, restoring Nand with different/older logs will likely get you banned from online since they can check the data, and it is their right to protect the service from tampering (duh :P).

It is actually pretty easy to not be banned: Take a full backup of your clean nand, do all your hacking and homebrew offline (delete all networks if you are paranoid). Don't update your hacked nand unless you know how to do it without burning efuses.

11. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    Ban, not brick.

12. hipmp5

hipmp5 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2018
    Qatar
    Well I'm gonna try to do 1 backup, turn off, boot RCM and do another backup and then compare the checksum of both of them, if it was changed well you are right.

13. Kubas_inko

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    I am not right. Reswitched team is.
    I just trust them until someone proves it wrong with proper explanation.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Last edited by Kubas_inko, Aug 10, 2018
  14. hipmp5

hipmp5 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2018
    Qatar
    @Kubas_inko If it was SciresM, Naehrwert or Reisyukaku saying that i would believe, Raj doesn't know a lot of internal stuff of the switch and by any means with what i said i will prove if it's safe ATM (5.1 firmware) to run RCM without any problems by checking if any of the boot partitions or raw nand had been changed.

15. Kubas_inko

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    I never said it isn't safe. I just said it is detectable.

16. Zap Rowsdower

Zap Rowsdower I am you.

Jan 17, 2015
    Canada
    I don't go map findin' behindin'
    I wouldn't be using a stated hypothetical as an argument, especially when what he's saying there is that it's currently undetectable.

17. hipmp5

hipmp5 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2018
    Qatar
    My English must be really bad for you to understand the opposite of what i am saying xD
    I'm gonna repeat: latter today i will see if ATM is safe or not to run RCM or if something is changed within the NAND or the boot partitions between every RCM boot, if nothing changes without boot switch Horizon ofc well i guess it proves at least RCM don't messes with the memory between every RCM boot unless there is a flag that was changed only once on the first RCM boot.

18. Kubas_inko

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    If it is just a float value, which changes on boot, you can't test it (unless you can do RAW NAND backup from horizon).

19. hipmp5

hipmp5 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2018
    Qatar
    Well you are right about this but if that happened well everyone that used RCM had been banned/flaged by Nintendo now.

Last edited by hipmp5, Aug 10, 2018
  20. Kubas_inko

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    Once again.
    I am not saying that Nintendo is banning or even detecting it. It is totaly safe to do it. I am just saying that it is detecable if nintendo wants to detect it.