Homebrew How hard would it be to program a board game?

davegazi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Found this board game that is quite fun...if I can find people to play with.

How hard would it be to convert a board game to homebrew and give it decent AI?

Instructions for how to play the game are HERE

Anyone out there think this is a doable conversion?

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the game itself would be not a problem. he hard part would be making the wiimote data turn into the result you want. it would take some trig and physics. there aren't many homebrew games that use the accelerometers. the basic functions for reading the data are already there, but nobody has written a library with more advanced functions for it yet.

davegazi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just don't know jack about programming.

Wouldn't necessarily need to drag and drop pieces. Maybe have pieces available for selection on the side. Use the 4-way to cycle through to select a piece, then use the 4-way again to find one of the 25 points to drop it on.

Maybe it could be some NDS homebrew... Heck PC would be fine too.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh. i thought you wanted to throw the pieces like the wii bowling or something. maybe i misunderstood the game. if you don't care about that motion sensing shit and just want to use IR then it shouldn't bee too bad for someone with experience in wii programming.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on how good in math and problem solving you are; even if you're not going to implement AI, it would still be a challenge for people who don't know anything about programming.

davegazi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically you have 3 discs in your color and three sets four concentric rings nested in each other.

You place one piece at a time, either on a space you've already played (trying to claim it with a majority of your color) or on a space adjacent to one you've played (to increase your play options).

You go until everyone is out of pieces or no one can make a move, whichever comes first.

You win by having the most spaces where your color is the majority. You can get a majority by having one of your pieces, with no one elses; two of your pieces and either one of another color or two of two different colors; or having three or four of your color on a space.

Fun game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up