Question How good is N64 emulation on the Switch?

Ralph1611 Aug 27, 2018.

1. gabisenk

gabisenk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2017
    Romania
    I have replaced all files and it runsike you guys said. With the exception of Golden Eye but surprisingly also Donkey Kong 64. I am gonna try and tweak some settings but lakka is good enough for me right now

hippy dave likes this.
  2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Yes, Project64 could run most games full speed, but they were riddled with glitches and crashes. That has gotten a lot better, but it's far from perfect. N64 emulators are by design inaccurate, because they're designed to run on older hardware, and that leads to issues.
    It's not just about games running. It's about them running like they would on real hardware.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Aug 23, 2019
  3. gabisenk

gabisenk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2017
    Romania
    If you have played Donkey Kong 64, do you have any ideea how can I fix the camera snap issue? the game runs so fine, but it still has that camera snap issure.

4. gabisenk

gabisenk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2017
    Romania
    But I wonder. Why there isn't any core for project64. Sure it wasn't accurate,but most games were at least playable. Mupen64 needs very good hardware to function properly and many people don't have acces to that, especially on the switch. I really think that a project 64 port would be so goooood!

5. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    I believe Project64 uses plugins that would only work on PC.

6. gabisenk

gabisenk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2017
    Romania
    Can't they at least copy the code and port it over? Is windows tied to so much to n64 software coding so that it is the only one to make it work properly?

7. EmulateLife

May 30, 2016
    United States
    If it were possible I'm sure it already would have happened. Mupen64plus-next is just as good really, and even surpassed it IMO by playing games like Resident Evil 2 and Indiana Jones & The Infernal Machine which Project64 never could play. There might be some games Project64 can play and Mupen64plus can't not sure because a lot of my N64 games are on Wii U but it serves the purpose for the games I need it to personally.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Someone did port Project64 to Android but the reviews are horrible they say it just crashes.

8. gabisenk

gabisenk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2017
    Romania
    I don't know about that. Take the switch for example. I am trying to play banjoo kazooie and donkey kong at a normal speed. So i have to disable framebuffer emulation because with it on , there are no graphical glitches and it's accurate like you said. But I disable it to obtain a good speed. Guess what? It fks shit up. Camera snap issues in Donkey Kong makes the game unplayable, and also in Banjoo Kazooie the fking graphical glitch takes almost half the screen. Come on, Project 64 did not have these issues. Sure it wasn't accurate but it ran full speed most games with minor glitches. MINOR. Sure , some games didn't run, but how many?

9. gabisenk

gabisenk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2017
    Romania
    Can somebody help me with the visual bugs in Donkey kong country 64 and Banjoo Kazooie please? How do i fix them without enabling framebuffer emulation??

10. Basketto

Basketto GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2019
    Australia
    What are you playing on? Banjokazooie and dk64 both work perfectly on android and lakka.. Lakka is smoother for things like banjotooie and highrestextures though, also mupen64plus is superior to project64 in literally every single way.

11. gabisenk

gabisenk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2017
    Romania
    Retroarch with homebrew menu

12. Basketto

Basketto GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2019
    Australia
    I suggest trying android then unless youre happy with handheld. Until lakka gets wireless controller support & dock, android is your best option. If your going to use Lakka aswell for N64 use the march release.

13. gabisenk

gabisenk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2017
    Romania
    Doesn't that one have visual glitches also? Also. March lakka doesn't suport audio as far as I know. Except for bluetooth...

14. EmulateLife

May 30, 2016
    United States
    I'm sure he meant May Lakka. That is the best one.

15. gabisenk

gabisenk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2017
    Romania
    Will try android when I get a new sd card. At the moment it just ain't available

May Lakka has those bugs too. The camera snap issue is still persistant on there to if I disable framebuffer emulation. With it on it runs like ass...

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I am refering to donkey kong 64 specifically but all Rare games seems to have problems and it's sad because that's all I wanna play on n64... :(

16. th3joker

th3joker GBAtemp Fan

Dec 30, 2015
    United States
    random question has anyone tried to reverse engineer the wiiu n64 virtual console to see how nintendos offical emulator works and can be used to improve the opensource homebrew emulators?

17. EmulateLife

May 30, 2016
    United States
    I doubt it, you realize it only plays less than 50% of N64 games right?

18. gabisenk

gabisenk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2017
    Romania
    So seriously. I hope I am not acting like an ass. But I tried everything. Is there any way I can play Donkey Kong 64 on lakka/retroach without the camera issues/glitches? I really want to play those games so badly on the switch

19. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    No to mention the graphics plugin had numerous clipping and culling issues with a lot of games. Not recommended.

20. th3joker

th3joker GBAtemp Fan

Dec 30, 2015
    United States
    were haxors able to inject their own n64 roms? the fact it played yoshi story makes me think it was better than the opensource emus that always glitched out on that game

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted