Homebrew How do you use amiibos?

LVG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
This question may sound strange, let me clear up : I used Thenaya with a set of NFC tags and I thought these would be helpful to add characters or features, but in the end I was a bit disappointed I can't seem to find any use for the amiibos. I can make them work but I think they don't actually add that much...
Maybe I haven't picked to most useful amiibos/games, or lack info, so I looked around but could not find much.

How do you guys use amiibos? What amiibos/games do you recommend?

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.^_^

I can only agree with you....thank God I did not spend too much Money (Animal Crossing Game/Set of 2 amiibos and some of these "Cards")... in that "Topic"...very disappointing on the 3DS...
For me it seems it is only "Moneymaking"..........

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You can do some useful things. In Mario Maker the 8-bit Mario Amiibo allowed you to access a special giant mushroom powerup which could be placed in a level and it's the only way to use that powerup in a level. Not sure if Mario Maker 2 has this feature as well, I would assume so.
And in Zelda BotW you can use the OoT Link Amiibo to get Epona.
They also seem to be pretty useful in Smash I suppose.
And of course, the Wolf Link Amiibo with Zelda TP HD which allows you to access a bonus "dungeon". And also works in BotW to summon Wolf Link to help you.
Mario Party 10 arguably has the best game mode (the one closest to old Mario Party) locked behind an Amiibo paywall. Which really sucks.

But except for those few games they do seem to be largely useless.

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Other than the few niche uses inside of first party Nintendo games, there is really no use for them. They can be used to unlock things in some games, but most of the time it's only skins, never anything truly useful.

LVG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for your input, we seem to have had the same experience with amiibos apprently (sadly?).

I was able to change the skin of the plane in Ace Combat Assault with the Classic Mario amiibo, but that is about it. I understand/share the interest for the figure itself because I actually bought the Classic Mario amiibo long before I got a 3DS ^^ so maybe I'll have to try Mario Maker to find this special mushroom!

All in all, the amiibo concept was really a nice idea and it seems underexploited : I would have loved to add the actual amiibo character to any compatible game (well all of them, while we're at it!). The figure goes into the game, call me a naive dreamer but that seemed like the logical thing to do.

You may also like...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • captainbob321 @ captainbob321:
    Hello!
  • captainbob321 @ captainbob321:
    What's so Funny, @M4x1mumReZ
    ?
    +1
  • M4x1mumReZ @ M4x1mumReZ:
    Welcome new user
  • trepp0 @ trepp0:
    Just got the notice that school is being released 2 hours early cause of the winter storm
  • trepp0 @ trepp0:
    lets go
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Better than 3 hours late from a lockdown lol
    +1
  • FAST6191 @ FAST6191:
    While I know you mean in case of someone confusing schooling establishment from shooting establishment (many of the same letters) I am still going to read that as lockdown (also known as lock in) for a pub
  • FAST6191 @ FAST6191:
    where if you were in the club you could be invited to be there as a guest of the landlords after things are supposed to stop being served
  • FAST6191 @ FAST6191:
    Have technically done that in a school but it was the sports centre associated with the school more than the school itself
  • FAST6191 @ FAST6191:
    being drunk in school was either because drunk on playing field or could not be arsed with one particular Thursday afternoon so went and had some beers and played some games instead before returning for an ill advised last lesson/period
  • K3N1 @ K3N1:
    Being drunk and high in school was cool
  • K3N1 @ K3N1:
    It was high school
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    my power cut out twice
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    my pi running octoprint wiped all my plugins and i cba to fix it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    No pi for you lol
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Psi, you didn't spell your name right