Homebrew How do you use amiibos?

LVG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
This question may sound strange, let me clear up : I used Thenaya with a set of NFC tags and I thought these would be helpful to add characters or features, but in the end I was a bit disappointed I can't seem to find any use for the amiibos. I can make them work but I think they don't actually add that much...
Maybe I haven't picked to most useful amiibos/games, or lack info, so I looked around but could not find much.

How do you guys use amiibos? What amiibos/games do you recommend?

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.^_^

I can only agree with you....thank God I did not spend too much Money (Animal Crossing Game/Set of 2 amiibos and some of these "Cards")... in that "Topic"...very disappointing on the 3DS...
For me it seems it is only "Moneymaking"..........

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You can do some useful things. In Mario Maker the 8-bit Mario Amiibo allowed you to access a special giant mushroom powerup which could be placed in a level and it's the only way to use that powerup in a level. Not sure if Mario Maker 2 has this feature as well, I would assume so.
And in Zelda BotW you can use the OoT Link Amiibo to get Epona.
They also seem to be pretty useful in Smash I suppose.
And of course, the Wolf Link Amiibo with Zelda TP HD which allows you to access a bonus "dungeon". And also works in BotW to summon Wolf Link to help you.
Mario Party 10 arguably has the best game mode (the one closest to old Mario Party) locked behind an Amiibo paywall. Which really sucks.

But except for those few games they do seem to be largely useless.

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Other than the few niche uses inside of first party Nintendo games, there is really no use for them. They can be used to unlock things in some games, but most of the time it's only skins, never anything truly useful.

LVG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for your input, we seem to have had the same experience with amiibos apprently (sadly?).

I was able to change the skin of the plane in Ace Combat Assault with the Classic Mario amiibo, but that is about it. I understand/share the interest for the figure itself because I actually bought the Classic Mario amiibo long before I got a 3DS ^^ so maybe I'll have to try Mario Maker to find this special mushroom!

All in all, the amiibo concept was really a nice idea and it seems underexploited : I would have loved to add the actual amiibo character to any compatible game (well all of them, while we're at it!). The figure goes into the game, call me a naive dreamer but that seemed like the logical thing to do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night