Hot takes on well-liked games

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kind of hated what I played of Undertale, but it's possible I just wasn't in the right frame of mind for what it ended up being or rather not being, although I have played games like Moon and Chulip before.

Last edited by Glyptofane,

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ocarina of Time is a boring, easy Zelda game with mechanics that are too simple. Also, how can someone called this game a masterpiece when it has terrible text scrolling? CHECKMATE!!!

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah DLC used to be extra content that was added to an already complete game, rather than filling in the missing parts later for an extra charge.

Agreed, imagine past games like Halo 3 where you could download new multiplayer maps that actually add to the games, or more recently Monster Hunter World and Rise where they add a whole new campaign to the game for less than the price of a new game.

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Red Dead Redemption hasn't aged well at all. On a recent play through, these things stood out to the point that I might even call it a bad game:

- Glitches, glitches, glitches forever.
- 95% of play time is riding from one location to another, 4% is tedious collect-a-thons and the remaining 1% is the actual missions.
- All of the horses control and feel the same. There's no variation and no other modes of transport, so 95% of the game is the same thing over and over.
- Your own horse literally runs from you.

Once upon a time, I would have listed RDR as one of the best games I've ever played, but now I see that I was blinded by the at-the-time great graphics and hype. It was a unique game and I enjoyed it when it came out, but this last play through has just highlighted how little there actually is to do. It's a sandbox game where you can't do anything fun, just shoot and hogtie people. That's it. No unique modes of transportation. No jumps. No explosions. No real chaos even at the highest wanted levels. What's even the point?

Amadeus007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Persona 5 Royal. Boy do I have opinions on that game.
I'm a big fan of both Persona and SMT, and let me tell you, I was very disappointed with Royal.
Persona 5 was already a 90+ hour game. I really enjoyed playing through the game the first time. Fell in love with the story, characters, palace design. When they announced Royal, I was so excited, only for that excitement to be thrown into the garbage disposal when I found out that it was the exact same game until like, the last few hours of the game where all of the new content was.
Before that, there were 2 new social links, the thieves den and the new area where you could play darts with your team. That's it. It was exactly the same otherwise until those last few hours.
So we had to play the same game twice basically for the addition of 2 extra characters, playing a dumb card game in the thieves den, and only two hours of extra story content, which wasn't that great anyways.
It was really infuriating.

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Red Dead Redemption hasn't aged well at all. On a recent play through, these things stood out to the point that I might even call it a bad game:

- Glitches, glitches, glitches forever.
- 95% of play time is riding from one location to another, 4% is tedious collect-a-thons and the remaining 1% is the actual missions.
- All of the horses control and feel the same. There's no variation and no other modes of transport, so 95% of the game is the same thing over and over.
- Your own horse literally runs from you.

Once upon a time, I would have listed RDR as one of the best games I've ever played, but now I see that I was blinded by the at-the-time great graphics and hype. It was a unique game and I enjoyed it when it came out, but this last play through has just highlighted how little there actually is to do. It's a sandbox game where you can't do anything fun, just shoot and hogtie people. That's it. No unique modes of transportation. No jumps. No explosions. No real chaos even at the highest wanted levels. What's even the point?
bought it a few years ago for the ps3,
so it's gta with horses
bored the hell out of me

i also hate that everything needs to be open world now
i call BOTW -> GTA Hyrule
sometimes is like constricted spaces

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Not in the same vein as AAA titles, but what's with the popularity of aperture science labs?

The 'game' is a freaking walking simulator that doesn't even let you walk. It's just pushing buttons when prompted and characters talking to you(a silent protagonist). Yet the popularity of that monstrosity is off the charts!
Christ... Yes, it's valve. Yes, it's free. But i feel like it's just the reverse of review bombing: people just thumb it up because they've just received an awesome handheld.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Not in the same vein as AAA titles, but what's with the popularity of aperture science labs?

The 'game' is a freaking walking simulator that doesn't even let you walk. It's just pushing buttons when prompted and characters talking to you(a silent protagonist). Yet the popularity of that monstrosity is off the charts!
Christ... Yes, it's valve. Yes, it's free. But i feel like it's just the reverse of review bombing: people just thumb it up because they've just received an awesome handheld.

It's short, doesn't overstay its welcome, it is full of the humor specific to the franchise, it expands on the lore of Aperture Science Laboratories, and pretty much does what it set out to do, which is make you familiar with the wacko layout of the Deck's gamepad while being more amusing than staring at a wall. If the rating system were more granular the score would probably be lower, but when the choice is between "OK" and "shit" I can see how most people would find it inoffensive enough to give positive feedback.

Now Warioware Touched on the other hand.... :angry:

96% approval rating for a glorified Nintendo kiosk tech demo that for some reason cost as much as a full game :angry:

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It's short, doesn't overstay its welcome, it is full of the humor specific to the franchise, it expands on the lore of Aperture Science Laboratories, and pretty much does what it set out to do, which is make you familiar with the wacko layout of the Deck's gamepad while being more amusing than staring at a wall. If the rating system were more granular the score would probably be lower, but when the choice is between "OK" and "shit" I can see how most people would find it inoffensive enough to give positive feedback.
A game without proper storyline, goal or mechanics overstays its welcome pretty fast in my opinion. I get yours(I'm not trying to convince you or anything), but it doesn't change my hot take in the slightest.

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
Trophies
XP
More like a genre, Farming games. I honestly don't get the appeal. Oh and dating games.
Shooters? FPS? I don't even know the category really.
I also don't have a particular fondness (or liking)
So for example half life (1 and 2)? I mean... they're probably good, but it just doesn't keep my interest, and I find it kinda boring to play. And I've played a lot of the story.
The only exception is like, titanfall since the movement mechanics are just so good.

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Games thats whole 'shtick' is being painfully difficult bring out the tryhard in a lot of gamers and it's obnoxious. Stuff like Dark Souls/Elden Ring come to mind in particular.
This would probably have to be my answer too, in general. I like a challenge but stuff that's just designed to be painful because ha-ha-ha suck it baby gamer just doesn't gel with me.

Slightly more niche answer is that Pokemon Conquest is a really popular 'underrated gem' amongst Pokemon fans but I just don't see what makes it so great. It's not bad but it's pretty basic and the combat feels very shallow. Maybe I need to give it another go.

natakuy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Angola
Persona 5 Royal. Boy do I have opinions on that game.
I'm a big fan of both Persona and SMT, and let me tell you, I was very disappointed with Royal.
Persona 5 was already a 90+ hour game. I really enjoyed playing through the game the first time. Fell in love with the story, characters, palace design. When they announced Royal, I was so excited, only for that excitement to be thrown into the garbage disposal when I found out that it was the exact same game until like, the last few hours of the game where all of the new content was.
Before that, there were 2 new social links, the thieves den and the new area where you could play darts with your team. That's it. It was exactly the same otherwise until those last few hours.
So we had to play the same game twice basically for the addition of 2 extra characters, playing a dumb card game in the thieves den, and only two hours of extra story content, which wasn't that great anyways.
It was really infuriating.
(edit) I don’t want to leave my original message up but tl;dr royal adds way more than 2 hours of story content and way more than what was said there in general.

Last edited by natakuy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The candy man can