Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
30084pm said:
ProtoKun7 said:
Technically, no.
Pardon me for having a different opinion, though.
umm technically yes. The dictionary proved you otherwise

That means at least one of two things. Either the dictionary is wrong or your application of it is.
rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(BlueStar @ Jun 13 2011, 06:27 PM)
I don't think homophobic means what you think it means, it's not like having a fear of spiders, where if there's a gay guy in the room you have to stand on a chair until you get a friend to catch them in a glass and release them outside.

Not wanting to associate with someone, reguardless of how they act, do, say or whatever, but based solely on their sexual orientation is homophobia, if you like it or not. You probably know gay people right now - you may have been taught by them, be related to them, be a customer of theirs or whatever. Are you saying if somehow you found out they were a homosexual you'd stop associating with them? And by "found out they were homosexual" I mean somone mentioned to you that they happened to be gay, not that they turned up one day in a pink tank top and rolelr skates and started hitting on you.
I know what it means. I've known gay people, such as someone in school I used to be friends with (I don't keep contact with most of my school acquaintances now), but I only found out for certain that he was after I left school. He was fairly camp though. One of the permanent supply teachers also turned out to be as well. I quite liked him as a person too, and I didn't stop associating with him after I found out, I just didn't agree with his orientation.

Besides, this isn't supposed to be about me. Just because I have a different opinion to the majority of you does not label me as homophobic, because I'm not, no matter how many dictionary definitions you throw at me.

Now get back on topic.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Not wanting to associate with someone on the grounds of sexual orientation alone is about as simple as homophobia gets. And note that's different to just being annoyed by people who are overly loud and camp or behave in a manner you find inappropriate in public.

Maybe it's not everyone else and the dictionary that's wrong, maybe it's you?

And back on topic? I thought the topic was homophobia? What's more on topic than discussing what homophobia is?

You seem to do this whenever the topic comes up, post your opinion and then try to demand people don't call you up on it. If you don't want people disagreeing with your stance, don't make it. If you're allowed to think homosexuals are abnormal, people are allowed to think you're a homophobe.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
While I have a few Homosexual friends I have made it known to them that I'm not. What should anyone care what anyone does in thier own bedroom or place of choice for that matter as long as it is not in public view? I can see how homophobia can be linked to homosexual arousal tho.

I think homophobics don't fear gays, they fear themselves actually turning out to be gay.

I don't think your homophobic protokun7.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
431unknown said:
While I have a few Homosexual friends I have made it known to them that I'm not. What should anyone care what anyone does in thier own bedroom or place of choice for that matter as long as it is not in public view?
That makes me think of this quote
QUOTE(Daphne Fielding, The Duchess of Jermyn Street)It doesn't matter what you do in the bedroom as long as you don't do it in the street and frighten the horses.

Uchiha Obito

Trophies
XP
Country
431unknown said:
I think homophobics don't fear gays, they fear themselves actually turning out to be gay.
That's what I say too... Still, what 'bout those that have uncle Ben touching their pants for fun? O.o

They can turn out homophobics too, I know a few cases

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
BlueStar: I already said, I didn't stop interacting with that teacher after I found out. I'm not wrong, I assure you.
And that is my opinion, which I have the freedom to state without being confrontational. By saying to get back on topic I was just saying that we should avoid any potential flaming before it starts.

Magmorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ProtoKun7 said:
30084pm said:
ProtoKun7 said:
Technically, no.
Pardon me for having a different opinion, though.
umm technically yes. The dictionary proved you otherwise
That means at least one of two things. Either the dictionary is wrong or your application of it is.
rolleyes.gif
You don't even take into consideration that your application could be wrong?

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
A Gay Little Catboy said:
431unknown said:
While I have a few Homosexual friends I have made it known to them that I'm not. What should anyone care what anyone does in thier own bedroom or place of choice for that matter as long as it is not in public view?
That makes me think of this quote
QUOTE said:
It doesn't matter what you do in the bedroom as long as you don't do it in the street and frighten the horses.

How am I supposed to take that? I'm not talking about to guys kissing, I'm talking about full blown sex. If I were walking down the street with my 5 year old son and wether it be a straight couple or a homosexual couple having sex in the street I would be pretty pissed either way. For the record if my son would turn out to be gay I wouldn't be pissed off about it either. I would however be mildly disappointed as he is the last in the line of my family to carry on our name and I would rather him to atleast have a genetically tied child than a child with just our last name. Is that wrong even tho I would still love them the same?

QUOTE(431unknown @ Jun 13 2011, 05:45 PM)
That's what I say too... Still, what 'bout those that have uncle Ben touching their pants for fun? O.o

They can turn out homophobics too, I know a few cases

That is a case of parents not talking to their kids about sexual molestation and the reprecusions it can have menatally. I have a gay Uncle and I trust him with my son but if I ever found out something like that happened I'd be pretty pissed off. I also have an Aunt that married a guy that does that shit. I don't take my son around her because for some reason she decided to staty whith the guy after she found out.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
ProtoKun7 said:
BlueStar: I already said, I didn't stop interacting with that teacher after I found out. I'm not wrong, I assure you.
And that is my opinion, which I have the freedom to state without being confrontational. By saying to get back on topic I was just saying that we should avoid any potential flaming before it starts.
At the same time, even with your own option you started your own flame war by not expecting people to say something about it. Even by reminding people, this is going to go on and end up like every single thread about homosexuality.

This is not directed towards ProtoKun7, this is a totally different part.
Honestly this shouldn't even be a problem, people only make homosexuality a debate or problem the same way they made women, Jews, Black, and even Muslims a problem. They need a scapegoat from the real problems, so they just grab a random minority and pick on them.

blackrider

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've noticed that there's always a lot of gay topics here. People around here seem really preoccupied with gays. Not something I even think about. Anyway I think it would be fitting if the name here was changed from gbatemp to gaytemp. I like gaytemp and isn't it I'm proud to do gay things week?

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
ProtoKun7 said:
At the same time, even with your own option you started your own flame war by not expecting people to say something about it. Even by reminding people, this is going to go on and end up like every single thread about homosexuality.

Honestly this shouldn't even be a problem, people only make homosexuality a debate or problem the same way they made women, Jews, Black, and even Muslims a problem. They need a scapegoat from the real problems, so they just grab a random minority and pick on them.

Exactly, tho I don't think ProtoKun7 is homophobic he is just stating his opinion. What do you want him to do? Go out and start asking people if they are gay and if they want to be friends with a straight man? You either have some gay friends or you don't.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
ProtoKun7 said:
And that is my opinion, which I have the freedom to state without being confrontational.

And I have the freedom to state my opinion that people who say they would rather not associate with homosexuals wherever possible are homophobic.

Uchiha Obito

Trophies
XP
Country
blackrider said:
I've noticed that there's always a lot of gay topics here. People around here seem really preoccupied with gays. Not something I even think about. Anyway I think it would be fitting if the name here was changed from gbatemp to gaytemp. I like gaytemp and isn't it I'm proud to do gay things week?
That's just plain dumb --' This is supposed to be a website for Games... Thought there are society debates too... Gay themes are frequent because many countries are liberation gay marriage, and many cultures are starting to acdcpet gay people... That's the case of mine, thought elderly people still don't like gays, romenian, ucranian, etc etc, and in some cases, black people...

THAT DOESN'T MEAN I DON'T LIKE THEM! There are some people that I think are disgusting, but I don't despise them... Well, it depends... Maybe I'd despise women that do abortions like it is a standard procedure --' There are case here in Portugal of women that go to hospitals for their 10th abortion... That's about mean!

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
431unknown said:
ProtoKun7 said:

Exactly, tho I don't think ProtoKun7 is homophobic he is just stating his opinion. What do you want him to do? Go out and start asking people if they are gay and if they want to be friends with a straight man? You either have some gay friends or you don't.
That part wasn't directed towards ProtoKun7 at all, I should have made that clear, so I did.

As much as I don't agree with ProtoKun7, I don't see him as homophobic. He's not a bad guy, just a guy who has a different view than I have. Plain and simple.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
ProtoKun7 said:
I didn't stop interacting with that teacherYet it seems you would have liked to. QUOTE(ProtoKun7 @ Jun 13 2011, 12:56 PM) I'd rather not associate with them wherever possible.
Given that it's a teacher it's obvious you'd still need to interact with them, but if outside of that situation you wouldn't have because of their orientation, that screams "homophobia".

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
Heterosexual men with the most anti-gay attitudes, when asked, reported not being sexually aroused by gay male sex videos. But, their penises reported otherwise.

Incredibly inconclusive, but hilarious all the same.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it certainly looks like this will be today's hot-button topic.
Guess we'll have to hang out here a while.

To my understanding "homophobic" has always seemed to mean "fear of gay people" (if you read the term literally)
Like if you hang out with them for too long you might "catch Gay"
Not precisely the same as not wanting to associate with them because of your differences.
If there is somebody down the street that you don't want to associate with because your viewpoints clash and tend to create arguments,
that doesn't mean that you're "afraid" of them.
It simply means that you've chosen not to involve yourself with them.
(Quite likely in the interest of peace. )

ProtoKun7 and I might not agree on the subject of gay people,
But I'm not going to label him as being homophobic for it,
any more than he's going to label me as being gay because I hang out with gay people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Materia_tofu, she is autistic and she is interested in that stuff