Hacking Homebrew requests topic

asiekierka

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I am very seriously considering porting Dingoo A320's PSX4ALL PSX emulator to the DSTwo. It won't be that good but some games should be playable. I already examined the code, so I know it's quite possible.

After that, I dunno - maybe a SWF player, maybe a better GB/GBC emulator...

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
asiekierka said:
I am very seriously considering porting Dingoo A320's PSX4ALL PSX emulator to the DSTwo. It won't be that good but some games should be playable. I already examined the code, so I know it's quite possible.

Don't mean to be a downer, but

spinal_cord said:
QUOTE(Zer0_byt3 @ Dec 27 2010, 02:09 PM) What about a N64 emulator? if it is done on psp I think it could be done with the DsTwo processor...

Never going to happen, the PSP emu used 3D hardware, the N64 was a 3D machine, rendering 3D in software would be WAY to slow for anything. The DSTwo does not have 3D hardware itself nor does it use (afaik) the 3D hardware of the DS, even if it did, the ds hardware is no where near good enough when compared to the N64.

So many. MANY titles might be out-of-the-question.

But if you can still find a way to make it work, by all means, go for it man.

Maybe some all-2D games would still be playable, like rayman 1, Gokyjou Parodius Da or Gex. (all of which are arguably the best ports of the original games)

Now, Im not saying 3D is IMPOSSIBLE (I-robot runs quite nicely in mame4allDSTwo's software emulation) but if you compare it to a more demanding 3D games like star fox or star fox 2 on the SNES, watch the FPS rate drop to 0.5 or less.

Still, who knows? Maybe the SDK has some sorta polygonal loophole that hasn't yet been found
biggrin.gif

asiekierka

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
@personuser: The Dingoo does not have 3D hardware either. The PS1 did not have 3D hardware either, in fact it only had a 2D framebuffer and a coprocessor which you could use for the more complex 3D calculations (light sources, etc).

EDIT: The N64, though, is a different thing.

EDIT2: The DSTwo is essentially a Dingoo-on-a-chip, the SDK even uses some of the Dingoo library files and the CPU speed is quite similar. And there's Linux on top of the emulator on Dingoo.

There already are fullspeed 3D PS1 games running on the Dingoo, but there are very few of these (Exhumed). The more demanding games run at 10FPS or so.

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YayMii said:
MFDC12 said:
The Pi said:
+1 to
Better GB/GBC emulator
GBA multiplayer
Direct file downloader
updated MSN messenger

More efficient DPG player
Awesomer Linux

A decent Go homebrew, there is one but it's IGS only and even then it has connection issues, one where you could play against the DS would be brilliant (the DS on it's own is a bit too weak for that)

like BAG said earlier there is no wifi support in the sdk so it will probably be a long time if that happens (or if ever).

i was kind of wanting to code something related to video's (the game i am making has videos
tongue.gif
) and maybe something relating to dpg's.
I have a seperate list for stuff related to the internet and wireless, just in case it becomes possible (although I consolidated the GBA multiplayer into GBA emulator improvement in general).
And if you want to make a request, please be a little more specific.

well i was more or less replying to one of the requests the pi made about the dpgs saying id like to do something with that
smile.gif

Recorderdude

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking that, perhaps, we could list developers that are actually committed to making some of these emus on the first post (so we don't get five different coders each making a GB/C emu
tongue.gif
) of course, this would be with the mentioned developer's approval, they'll only be listed if they completely confirm their commitment.

As far as I know,

link11510 is comitted to GB/C

MFDC12 might do a VB emu.

Many, MANY peeps are considering coding a GB/C emu so I figure if one is set in stone than the ones who want to code an entire emu can port something else and those who'd rather insist can improve emus that were already out ou

That is all for now.

insanepotato

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
numbat.cs.rmit.edu.au
XP
Country
asiekierka said:

dooo eeeeet =O

btw, out of curiousity, was the dreamcast version of pcsx every finished? i had a look at the source and it seems to missing SPU/GPU functions, and the ability to load plugins? :wtf:

Devilkid32177

Trophies
Website
Facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
+1 ~ go board homebrew
~ SNES Emulator tweaks & fixes
~ GB/GBC Emulator tweaks & fixes

go board homebrew would be good for me, since i like that game
tongue.gif
as for the two emulators, i have been trying to play a couple of games on them but they don't seem to run them worth a darn:

snes emulator: would love to see starfox & Super Mario RPG- legend of the seven stars
GBC emulator: having issues with encrypted games

koimayeul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi i would like to thank you guys for coding sweet homebrews

as for my request it would be about S8DS to fix the occasional freezing when accessing the menu.. as for it was happening to the SFC emu for dstwo before BassAceGold fix it

source can be found here http://www.ndsretro.com/ndsdown.html

thank you for the hard work, peace out
smile.gif

Recorderdude

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
asiekierka said:
viz said:
Kwigg said:
Win2DS that actually doesn't lag.

I think thats a hardware limitation that cant be fixed with scDS2
Yep, the DS's WiFi speed. The DS->DS2 communication requirement would actually slow it down further.

Isn't DS wifi like...10kbs/sec regardless of how fast your connection is, anyway?
tongue.gif

I could only imagine how much longer DS2Tools would take if it was actually a DS2 app XD

YayMii

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Updated OP. And I include development in the counts.

And the DS's limit was actually partially a software limit. The DS would limit the speed to 10kB/s no matter what you were doing, but DSlinux bypassed that limit. Without the limit, the DS is still only capable of handling wireless-B speeds (11Mbps, 5 times slower than wireless-G)

xx78xx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i would love to see dingux to be ported to the dstwo even tho it's impossible.....sike!!! i think it could work...even tho i'm no coder."dinguxds2"
yaynds.gif

YayMii

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@Cat Boy: Anything capable of launching commercial ROMs is not possible with the current SDK. I'm not including your vote, since the OP says that anything to do with how the EOS works is not going to be included.

@xx78xx: I'm including your vote into "Awesomer Linux".

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If they are not going to update their firmware for months on end, I think it would be in their best interest to at least release that feature.
I normally don't complain about Supercard, but this is getting annoying.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Spring is in the air. +1