Homebrew Homebrew Development

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
no i didnt think so :P
at this moment i was totally pissed off.

i'm just working for launching .nds games with this exploit. (i can run animal crossing wild world and pokemon diamond, i dont try it with 3ds games but i will do it soon)
and i think smealum just finished his project before i release it. and i just waiting for smealum too.

(sry for my english, come from germany :P)
Are you using an emulator within the 3DS or redirecting card slot reads/writes to the SD? If so, then won't running ROMs off the SD card still have the same problem as using the games themselves: NDS mode will erase the exploit requiring you to use the blue GW card again.

Nice. Now figure out how to launch 3DS games from the SD card and we can just get rid of Gateway/Other 3DS flashcarts entirely. :P

Not that easy. We still have to emulate emuNAND from scratch, know where to patch it, and only then can we have a feasable environment that can run 3DS games and replace the GW. Plus next time Nintendo comes up with a new firmware update, with potential new AP and encryption, we'd have to hack it ourselves.

CalebW

Fellow Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No one's gonna release that. 'Cause ya know, piracy. "Morals".

It's been possible forever, though.
Yeah, even though piracy is already possible, so the ones with "morals" are only protecting the flashcart companies that are profiting from piracy.
Most of the people that are going to pirate already had a 4.X 3ds, and those that didn't went and bought one for that purpose.

Reactions: Huntereb

Cjuub

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, even though piracy is already possible, so the ones with "morals" are only protecting the flashcart companies that are profiting from piracy.

Do remember that gateway are the ones who wrote the exploit, everyone else has just plainly studied what they do and then do exactly the same. So your reasoning is that just because GW used the exploit for profits, they deserve to be disrespected and have their work stolen and leaked? And someone who has "stolen" their work by reversing it and does not release it, automatically becomes "evil protectors of illegitimate business"? Sounds more like you are a little pissed because you can't pirate for free.

I assure you, protecting flash card companies is not the reason why this is not released.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Most of the people that are going to pirate already had a 4.X 3ds, and those that didn't went and bought one for that purpose.
people murder people all the time....does that mean everyone should.....peoples morals are their own to hold, and lets not pretend that if a completely free alternative came out without the fear of brick code etc that there wouldnt be a big mad rush of people buying up every 4.x console they can lay their hands on to either pirate themselves or just intall the mod and sell with a big load of games pre-installed for a hefty profit

then there is the most obvious reason of not wanting to get sued the crap out of for releasing it

CalebW

Fellow Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do remember that gateway are the ones who wrote the exploit, everyone else has just plainly studied what they do and then do exactly the same. So your reasoning is that just because GW used the exploit for profits, they deserve to be disrespected and have their work stolen and leaked? And someone who has "stolen" their work by reversing it and does not release it, automatically becomes "evil protectors of illegitimate business"? Sounds more like you are a little pissed because you can't pirate for free.

I assure you, protecting flash card companies is not the reason why this is not released.
I actually don't give a damn about pirating. I just want arm11 kernel access for homebrew.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I actually don't give a damn about pirating. I just want arm11 kernel access for homebrew.
do you know whats possible with arm11 kernel access that would really be useful for homebrew?
pretty sure the only thing it would enable is basically piracy, ssspwn should be perfectly sufficent for people wanting to make/run homebrew

CalebW

Fellow Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you know whats possible with arm11 kernel access that would really be useful for homebrew?
pretty sure the only thing it would enable is basically piracy, ssspwn should be perfectly sufficent for people wanting to make/run homebrew
Kernel access would allow you to create a cfw, and it would also allow for the creation of homebrew channel launchers in the menu.

Reactions: Huntereb

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
ok but basically, what your saying is you would prefer a 4.x limited homebrew solution over a homebrew solution that works all the way up to 9.x....for what exactly a little homebrew launcher that ssspwn would also have but launched from somewhere other than the homescreen, yeah there is some things that might be nice like having a emunand set up or taking screenshots etc.....but these arent exactly up there with things that homebrew devs feel are important for creating or running homebrew

don't get me wrong i think it would be cool to have, but there is no denying it would have a big impact on the amount of people looking to pirate on the system....then you would have all the price scalpers buying up every 4.x console to resell as a "preloaded" system....basically anyone wanting actual homebrew would be forced to end up paying the cost of what a gateway card would cost as the prices would immediatly be inflated by people wanting to pirate on 4.x consoles

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
then there is the most obvious reason of not wanting to get sued the crap out of for releasing it

This is the most flawed reason, though. It's incredibly easy to be anonymous on the internet. Any person who's able to work with computers at the degree required for this kind of topic should know how to cover their ass. If someone were ever to release something so fantastic, I doubt they'd be like "Hey guys, this is my creation! Also, here's my address and phone number in case you want to chat some time!"

We know Gateway doesn't do that, but they're well hidden in the Chinese Mafia, so they're safe from the government anyway.

CalebW

Fellow Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but there is no denying it would have a big impact on the amount of people looking to pirate on the system....then you would have all the price scalpers buying up every 4.x console to resell as a "preloaded" system....basically anyone wanting actual homebrew would be forced to end up paying the cost of what a gateway card would cost as the prices would immediatly be inflated by people wanting to pirate on 4.x consoles
But having kernel access would be incredibly useful for finding exploits in newer versions.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
This is the most flawed reason, though. It's incredibly easy to be anonymous on the internet. Any person who's able to work with computers at the degree required for this kind of topic should know how to cover their ass. If someone were ever to release something so fantastic, I doubt they'd be like "Hey guys, this is my creation! Also, here's my address and phone number in case you want to chat some time!"

We know Gateway doesn't do that, but they're well hidden in the Chinese Mafia, so they're safe from the government anyway.
i think most people who would release would do it either for money fame or glory......doing it annonimously kinda ruins that for them, so it would be better to not release show it off and just take the fame for it :lol:

but really i dont see why people cant just accept that people might just not want to make piracy easier....maybe these devs are fans of nintendo and like their work....but also enjoy hacking.....they want to hack and learn about stuff but not damage it by releasing rom loaders
But having kernel access would be incredibly useful for finding exploits in newer versions.
anyone with a chance of finding exploits in newer versions would already have kernel access either by hacking the GW FW or doing it themselves, all it would encourage is "when i do *insert random thing here* it crashes...is this an exploit?

AlbertoSONIC

Pasta Team Member
Trophies
Website
www.albertosonic.com
XP
Country
Italy
Hello everyone, here a little tutorial to whom wanna begin with homebrew on 3DS :P

Before anything you will need these files:
DevKitARM : devkitpro.org
DevKitARM Add-on 3ds: http://mtheall.com/~fincs/3dsdkA/
3DSTemplate(with new ctrulib): http://filetrip.net/dl?rqkeqrIIns

After download all files:
1 - open the "dkA-3dsx-patch-12092014.zip" and copy the DevKitARM folder to DevKitPro/DevKitARM folder on your PC.
2 - extract 3dstemplate where you wanna, open the 3dstemplate folder and copy the "libctru" on C:/ or D:/ or where you wanna on your disk.
3 - Go to environment variables and at system variables, create a new with name: CTRULIB , value: D:\libctru (change to your libctru directory !).
4 - on 3dstemplate folder open the build.bat, if you did everything correct, it will generate three new files, ".elf", ".3dsx" and ".3ds", the .3ds is to Gateway users, .elf to alternative homebrew loaders and .3dsx to future Smea Homebrew Loader.

If you wanna edit the code, just go to source and edit the main.c, there is a little example on code, have fun :P
st4rk dkA-3dsx-patch-12092014.zip contains a folder called 3dstools-source. What do i need to do with it?

st4rk

nah
Trophies
Website
st4rk.net
XP
Country
Brazil
st4rk dkA-3dsx-patch-12092014.zip contains a folder called 3dstools-source. What do i need to do with it?

Nothing, i never checked it, i just copy the devkitARM folder to my installed devkitARM folder XD

No joke, and future console are going have increasingly better security. There might come a console that is virtually unhackable.

Because it, i am studying security flaw, it is very fun you know how the things work and ways to hack it.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
No joke, and future console are going have increasingly better security. There might come a console that is virtually unhackable.
if the ps3 taught people anything is that 1 mistake can bring the whole thing down , what was once considered one of the best security implementations ended up the butt of many jokes.....well at least 4 :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • JefferyCuddletrousers @ JefferyCuddletrousers:
    bakerman you actually dont because i ate it all!
    you named your cat succubus...??
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    @K3Nv2 I'm still gagging from yesterday and you start talking weird again.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Melons
    @K3Nv2 You told me it was named Satan.
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel:
    @HiradeGirl oh my godddd that shellllll
    You're just triggering people here.
    cant tell whats
    a better name for a cat, satan or succubus
    @HiradeGirl Tried finding shopping links where it's available, but it's only resellers on eBay.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Succubus is always a good name
    I love that pikachu galaxy shell that is so goodddd
    I wish I had a 3DS. But I skipped it altogether because I couldn't afford it. Still played some games using Citra.
    +1
    Its never too late, the OG is I think 70 -80 Used <3!!!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm pretty good at letting things go sadly others arent
    @K3Nv2 It's never a good name.
    oh btw, wondering if you can ask questions here? i made my account to try and comment but the last comment i see on a forum is from 2018 so
    are you talking about an old thread
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You can ask but results vary
    yeah its old
    @Sicklyboy is your 3ds red!????? yassssss
    +1
    @JefferyCuddletrousers Ask in the chat, but it's mostly people trolling. Like @K3Nv2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If from 2018 best to make a new thread
    +1
    people usuallyu screech at necro posts but Idk why personally
    pfft alright
    well im superduper new to citrus and im trying to download a hello kitty cooking game (dont judge) but it was a cia file. i did the thing to turn it into cci but citra says you need the game to be a folder to import it. im kinda dumb so maybe im not looking hard enough for answers if anyone can help....
    JefferyCuddletrousers @ JefferyCuddletrousers: well im superduper new to citrus and im trying to download a hello kitty cooking game (dont...