Hints to Virtual Console discovered in the Switch's eShop JSON file

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by smileyhead, Sep 25, 2018.

1. smileyhead
    OP

smileyhead 56709

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Hungary
    Screenshot_20180925-115056.

Have you been excited for Virtual Console titles on the Switch? Your prayers might have been answered as Twitter user KevDoy has discovered newly added sections in the Nintendo Switch's eShop database file that might hint to Virtual Console titles being added soon. The included platforms are NES, SNES, GameBoy, GameBoy Colour, Nintendo 64, GameBoy Advance, and Nintendo DS.
    There is no mention of GameCube just yet, but it is theorised that it might be announced separately later.

:arrow: eShop JSON file

ImCarlosGG and Fadi5555 like this.
  2. DBlaze

DBlaze I don't know what i'm doing.

Nov 15, 2006
    Netherlands
    Although VC on switch is pretty likely, this still means nothing on its own as these are just placeholders in the JSON as it is.
    Not really any hint to be honest.

Last edited by DBlaze, Sep 25, 2018
  3. Minox

Minox Thanks for the fish

Former Staff
    Aug 27, 2007
    Japan
    Not surprised at all. What would surprise me would be if Nintendo didn't try to make people pay for their VC titles again.

4. Issac

Issac I

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    They have a patent on a N64 controller icon filed recently, that is in similar style to the controllers on the nes and snes classic boxes, but could just as well be an icon for VC perhaps?

5. supergamer368

supergamer368 yeeeeeoooowwwww

May 22, 2016
    United States
    Does anybody read locations?
    Look at the bottom, there’s also ds, wii, 3ds, and wii u. I doubt there will be wii u vc though because... you know. But DS and Wii are likely I think/hope if this really is pointing to vc.

6. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    yeah.. while 3ds could be possible due to switch being arm too wich facilitates an emulator, there is no way in hell wiiu ever gets a VC, becuase swithc will never be powerful enough to emulate wiiu ppc as it is, and they are selling wiiu ported titles too lol.

7. supergamer368

supergamer368 yeeeeeoooowwwww

May 22, 2016
    United States
    Does anybody read locations?
    Honestly, I don’t think they’ll do VC 3DS, even though it’s possible, since they’re still selling the 3DS and probably will be through at least 2019.

8. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    "Hints"?
    More like "leftovers" or "traces" of Virtual Console on the eShop JSON file.
    As if they are gonna do such a logic step, but nope, gotta offer those 20 NES titles because fuck the gamers.

9. Vieela

Vieela GBATemp's official thinker™

Jan 18, 2017
    Brazil
    To be fairly honest, a Wii VC would be the biggest dream of my whole life. I would literally be able to rest in actual peace. Nintendo has to expand their library of past generations games ASAP. Only NES isn't going to please anyone, to be fairly honest. Only adding N64 or GC would already be a whole lot, imagine any other ones like SNES, 3DS, Wii. A literal dream.

10. DeslotlCL

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's official lewd scalie trash

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Wasnt this confirmed to be just a placeholder section since the 3ds has it too? It didnt deserve a new thread again...

11. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA

They could just recompile the Wii U games and just sell those ports as VC games

12. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    they are selling them at full price as deluxe so i dont see any recompiling lol, its not that simple they need to port the entire source code and change alot of stuff you cant just hit a button and import all wiiu games as switch games.

13. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    I get that it's not that simple but I don't think those Wii U ports will stay full price forever. Stick em all in a section of their own and the average customer would be none the wiser.

14. Pokem

Pokem GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 22, 2016
    United States
    I'm excited for all the VCs except for DS.
    It just feel so weird to be playing DS games on anything other than consoles in the DS family itself...