Hardware Hey guys, how is everyone coping with their switch !?

cherryduck

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm loving Zelda and I love being able to bring my Switch with me to work to play at lunch time. Or lie in bed playing it way too late so I'm knackered in the morning x)

It's a great concept but there are lots of little design flaws and the whole thing feels like it's been rushed out a bit. It's not stopping me enjoying the console but I can definitely see an "NSwitch" coming out in the next couple of years to resolve some of these issues.

Flaws for me:

• Dock scratches the screen if you're not careful.
  • The inbuilt stand puts the Switch at an angle where you have to sit far away to see the screen - however then the screen is too small, and you can't charge while using this stand. (I've resolved this by 3D printing a better stand but this shouldn't be needed)
  • PLASTIC!!! screen. On a console made to be taken out and about - big no no.
  • Placement of the charger port - cable ends up in the way if you're trying to charge and play in handheld mode. Requires my hands lifting higher to stop the cable prodding me in the stomach and my arms get tired.
  • Using the console in handheld mode gives me pins and needles in my hands eventually due to the combination of cramped hands and relatively heavy console (for a handheld).
  • Overall the unit feels cheap and plasticky - not well made.

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
havent even opened my one yet. (bought with zelda, extra controller and some accessories. been laying on my desk since launch day.)
played someone else's for a bit.

Primalus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty happy with mine, but my only 2 complaints are that (as far as anyone knows) there's no way to soft reset the software and the wifi sucks. By that I mean on the 3DS you can normally hold L+R+Start and the software resets itself. I have to manually close the software and reopen it on the Switch, which can be a bit of a hassle. The wifi is the worst I've ever seen on a Nintendo console. It's even worse than the Wii. It takes around 2-3 minutes to connect to my network, but it still only gets 1 bar, despite me being only a few yards from the router.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Overall I like the system my only gripes so far are:
Docked:
The left stick has a tendency to click down causing me to crouch at the most inconvenient of times in BotW more a user issue but it sucks.
Left stick lag - I'm often unintentionally wandering in BotW
random controller disconnects - not really that much of a problem so far as it takes a second to reconnect
Location - there just really isn't a good place for me to locate it with the crappy BT connection and being a vertical stand I'm not too sure on mounting it horizontally and heat dissipation.

Un-docked
not very ergonomic or grippy - it could do with some form of rubberised coating and grips

The Dock
Its marked my screen and I've only used it three times and now I have two square smudge marks where the two rubbers sit, other than that I cannot see how people are getting the long scratches they are posting without putting it in angled or backwards as apart from the two rubber pads near the bottom there is no contact with the screen.

The Joycon slide on things
They are just complete crap and offer no benefit - I put them back in the box after fighting with removing the first one.

Lack of Documentation

There really is a huge lack of documentation in with games and the actual hardware - its not like paper doesn't grow on trees

Pretty much nothing I cant fix for myself if Nintendo refuse to offer solutions with the most major fixes being to add antenna to the left joycon and modifying the dock.
Its hard for me to say if it has or has not met expectations as I purchased it on a whim having never seen a video or anything about the system they just happened to have stock showing on the ninty store the day after release when I was looking for a NES Mini.

Sorry to read that your Switch's screen has been marked. :( You know, you should buy a tempered screen protector to avoid it from ruining it even more.

Here's a very cheap one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9H-Real-P...otector-Skin-For-Nintendo-Switch/152464824758 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ScreenKnight-Nintendo-Switch-SCREEN-PROTECTOR-Military-Shield/401282552693

I haven't removed the Switch from the Dock yet just to avoid from getting any scratches or scuffs.

Nemix77

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think Auto Brightness changes the Gamma and uses PWM Dimming on the Switch which is better for low lighting conditions but introduces screen flickering.

I would advise to experiment with turning off Auto Brightness and adjust the brightness according to the lighting you're in or to find a good medium brightness setting with Auto Brightness off which works well under most lighting conditions.

I tried playing with Auto Brightness off last night and I noticed a lot less eye strain however, the blacks are less dark and the colors are less vibrant with Auto Brightness off.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the only problems i see is no copying stuff to sd card cept for pics. I suppose they will add that in a later update. The sleep mode only from the menu is annoying but its not much different then having to get up to turn my snes off. same difference really. As for the anti-aliasing issues i never see any shar[ edges on my tv. one of the benefits of using a crt....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Hi