Homebrew Hey, can SNES games be played on the DS?(I'm new)

blueconsole

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm totally new to this whole thing so I was wondering since we can play "DS" and "GBA" games on the DS can we also play other systems also? SNES, Genesis?

Thanks.

tijntje_7

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
First of all, wrong place to post. It should be in ds emulation category
tongue.gif

2nd Yes, it actually can.
3rd No, you can't emulate gba (without expansion pack/scdstwo/iplayer), nintendo 64, wii (lol), gamecube, or stuff like that
4th You can download the snes emulator from www.filetrip.net
5th You shouldn't ask for ROMs here
tongue.gif
You need to find them yourselves.

blueconsole

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So we can add an emulator like ZSNES to the DS system and Snes games can in theory be playable? Same for Genesis and the like?

Is that the same method used for playing GBA/GBC games on the DS? Or is it something different.

Thanks.

Edit: Ok, got some questions answered. One last question, I know nothing about what "cards" to use and all that. Where on the site can I go to learn more about them, how they work and what they are all capable of?

tijntje_7

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
As I already said. GBA needs a different way to be emulated (err... English fail :/)
The DS is too weak to emulate the gba. It needs some kind of enhancement (like an iplayer, or supercarddsto. Or 2nd slot expansion packs)
The gameboy colour can be emulated the same way
smile.gif

Edit: Flashcart knowledge and stuff...

You should go to http://gbatemp.net/f40-nds-flashing-hardware-and-software
For more information on flashcarts. (Acekard is nice, used by many, also because they are cheap. R4 is fake, atleast those on the market atm are. CycloDS has awesome features (as far as i heard) but is expensive. Supercard is... pretty good I guess. The supercardDSTWO on the other hand is the best one on the market at the moment. More information on flashcarts is still obtainable from the link I gave you
tongue.gif
Oh and all those thingy's ^up there, are in my opinion.)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Definitely do not get any R4 or anything with "R4" in the title, the original R4 team disbanded years ago and all that's left are clones.

An Acekard 2i will be cheapest ($16 on shoptemp.com) and play DS games and run emulators. An M3i Zero will add more features (like slow motion and save state to DS games) but costs more. A Supercard DSTwo has the best features, but is more pricy.

You wouldn't use ZSNES, you'd be using emulators specifically for the DS. There's stickies in the various forums here listing which emulators work best.

The only ways to play GBA roms on a DS are to either get a slot-2 (GBA slot) flash cart as well (and they tend to be a lot more expensive), or to get a Supercard DSTwo (which includes it's own additional processor on the cart in order to play GBA games), but the supercard's emulation isn't running perfectly (yet).

D

Deleted-236924

Rydian said:
Definitely do not get any R4 or anything with "R4" in the title, the original R4 team disbanded years ago and all that's left are clones.

If you're recommending ShopTemp, then why not recommend an R4?
The R4 from ShopTemp can run Wood and are only $6.

blueconsole

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow, thanks a lot guys

I'm thinking about waiting a couple of months after the 3DS to come out then getting one. I figure by then they'll have some hardware available that we could use.

Xarsah16

GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
blueconsole said:
wow, thanks a lot guys

I'm thinking about waiting a couple of months after the 3DS to come out then getting one. I figure by then they'll have some hardware available that we could use.

Do you have a DS (whether it be the old, bulky phat, the lite, or the DSi/XL?)

If yes, then I recommend getting an Acekard2i. It's cheap, (14.95!) and it supports almost perfect emulation of NES, Gameboy, and Gameboy Color games. It also supports Moonshell (media player) and a handful of other homebrew (user created applications.) Also, using the AKAIO firmware (Acekard-all-in-one), it is very easy to set up the Acekard itself and it is also very easy to navigate. AKAIO is also the way to go because it is one of the few major firmware with constant update fixing bugs.

The only con is that the Acekard doesn't effectively support SNES and GBA emulation because it lacks the additional power that the SupercardDSTwo has. At the moment, the GBA emulation on that is still a little buggy and the SNES emulator hasn't been released yet. It's also 34.95 - double the price of the Acekard for features that have great potential, but haven't been completed yet.

Waiting until the 3DS is going to be a long time. It was just announced at E3, and it is speculated to come out next year in Japan. The wait will be even longer for everyone else on the planet. Plus, because the system was just announced, we clearly don't have the hardware to start developing flash carts for it yet. The 3DS may be harder to crack, so we don't know which carts will be released.

fearofshorts

Trophies
XP
Country
I personally think that the 3DS will be nearly impossible to crack (fully- DS mode should be easy enough)- I mean, look at the DSi. They loaded it with so much security that it still hasn't been hacked yet. It could take years and years, if they do it correctly.

Think of the Capcom Playsystem 3- that took nearly a decade to crack because of the encryption.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
fearofshorts said:
I personally think that the 3DS will be nearly impossible to crack (fully- DS mode should be easy enough)- I mean, look at the DSi. They loaded it with so much security that it still hasn't been hacked yet. It could take years and years, if they do it correctly.

Think of the Capcom Playsystem 3- that took nearly a decade to crack because of the encryption.
Actually those were due to a large amount of people just not caring enough, so only a few people were working on it.

The DSi doesn't add anything notable except a camera and semi-decent web browser, and those two can be fully used without any sort of hacking needed. Yes, it's more powerful than the DS, but a PSP is much more powerful and can do many more things. As well, no DSi-exclusive games came out that were worth getting, so there's no big (team-wise) effort made on hacking DSi mode.

As for the PS3, at the start you were already able to run linux and homebrew, and it gave you tons of processing power and all sorts of the stuff a console usually needs to be hacked to get at. By the time it was removed, Sony had had time to change the hardware and strengthen the security in the correct ways, as most console hacks are due to hardware, or long-standing software vulnerabilities because of infrequent updates. Remember, most of the actual hackers (such as the team behind the hackmii blog) are not after piracy, just personal use of the console, and a majority were content with OtherOS.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rydian said:
As for the PS3, at the start you were already able to run linux and homebrew, and it gave you tons of processing power and all sorts of the stuff a console usually needs to be hacked to get at. By the time it was removed, Sony had had time to change the hardware and strengthen the security in the correct ways, as most console hacks are due to hardware, or long-standing software vulnerabilities because of infrequent updates. Remember, most of the actual hackers (such as the team behind the hackmii blog) are not after piracy, just personal use of the console, and a majority were content with OtherOS.
No, you have misread. He said CPS3, as in Capcom Play System 3 (don't worry, I read that wrong too, I was like, "Capcom didn't make the PS3"). In any case, like the other point you made, not many people cared for it so less people worked on that system (they were all MVC2 fans I bet). That's not to say the 3DS is going to be any quicker to hack.

But I digress. I don't know if anyone said this, but no, you can't use ZSNES on the DS. The emulator you're looking for is SNEmulDS, which you can find on Filetrip.net. Don't expect too much though. Like most people have already mentioned, there's a lot of audio and graphical errors, it's slow and has low compatibility. Games with SuperFX chips won't work (like Super Mario RPG and Yoshi's Island). If you don't know what a SuperFX chip is, don't worry, but all that means is that a lot of great games won't even load.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sorry I sat on them when they were open
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: So that version is semi rare