Hardware ROM Hack Help with Pokemon Refined Gold freezing

MultipedBeatle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently started to replay all of the Pokemon games and began with HeartGold patched with Refined Gold to catch all the Pokemon in one version with all of the advantages of the hack. However, the game crashes and freezes very frequently. I have tried to AP patch the game myself, but that only causes the game to have missing DSi binaries and not launch even in DS mode. Is there anything I can do?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I am playing with the latest versions of TwilightMenu++ and nds_bootstrap on my DSi XL.

(P.S. I have also seen an issue with Pokemon Black/White where the DSi binaries are missing, but that's only after patching with a hack to catch all Pokemon. Not a big deal as those games only have new Pokemon.)

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HG doesn't have DSi binaries, and AP patching wouldn't do that anyway.. It could be just the hack..
For Black/White just run them on DS mode (same for HG), and they don't need to be AP patched (for the base game)..

MultipedBeatle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HG doesn't have DSi binaries, and AP patching wouldn't do that anyway.. It could be just the hack..
For Black/White just run them on DS mode (same for HG), and they don't need to be AP patched (for the base game)..
TwilightMenu is flagging HG/SS as needing AP patched, same with Black/White. If there is a way to disable the patching, I will gladly do it, but right now I cannot find a way to do it.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TwilightMenu is flagging HG/SS as needing AP patched, same with Black/White. If there is a way to disable the patching, I will gladly do it, but right now I cannot find a way to do it.
If you're using the newer releases of TWilightmenu then most of the AP patches (HG/SS, B/W) are included with it, you can manually apply the AP to these games if you really want to with this.
But again, HG/SS games do not have DSi binaries..

MultipedBeatle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're using the newer releases of TWilightmenu then most of the AP patches (HG/SS, B/W) are included with it, you can manually apply the AP to these games if you really want to with this.
But again, HG/SS games do not have DSi binaries..
I'm not saying that they do have DSi binaries, that is simply what TwilightMenu is telling me when I place the AP and Refined Gold patched ROM onto my SD card. Even running the double patch in DS mode does not work, but running the single patch under DS mode helps with time between crashes. I have a feeling it was just never meant to be, but hopefully there is a fix. I saw someone say that going back to an old version of TwilightMenu and nds_bootstrap helped, but I want to stay with the latest.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ROM hacks of games containing AP measures generally need the clean ROM to be AP-patched first, before applying the ROM hack patch. If you're still getting crashes, then try turning off card read DMA in the per-game settings menu.
Though I have no idea why TWLMenu++ would tell you the DSi binaries are missing for a ROM hack of a game that isn't DSi-Enhanced to begin with.

For ROM hacks of DSi-Enhanced Pokemon titles though, it is normal for most of them to show the DSi binaries missing message, as the hacks we're made with tools that strip out DSi data.

Reactions: CoolMe and Lewd

MultipedBeatle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ROM hacks of games containing AP measures generally need the clean ROM to be AP-patched first, before applying the ROM hack patch. If you're still getting crashes, then try turning off card read DMA in the per-game settings menu.
Though I have no idea why TWLMenu++ would tell you the DSi binaries are missing for a ROM hack of a game that isn't DSi-Enhanced to begin with.

For ROM hacks of DSi-Enhanced Pokemon titles though, it is normal for most of them to show the DSi binaries missing message, as the hacks we're made with tools that strip out DSi data.
Thank you for giving me something to attempt to try. I'll give it a shot with the AP patcher I have and let you know what it says. Hoping that it works, but turning off all of the DSi enhancements helped a little bit as well. I did notice that the Pokemon Black/Black 2 hack I was using did bring that error once I patched, so I may just play through the games as intended. Thanks again!

Reactions: RocketRobz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated